IBD and allergy together? Prednisolone shots.

Softmeows

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So my kitty has always had a digestion /diarrhea issues and after all the bloodwork it was concluded to treat her for IBD. She also itches so it looks like some sort of allergy (vet hypoallergenic diet did not help with either IBD or itching). So far she had 2 shots of prednisolone, about 40 days apart. At about 40 days, she starts itching and licking again, becomes hungrier and more restless. Her stool is better but not perfect with the shot, but the itching goes away. I also giver her cat enzymes and probiotics and she eats grain free novel wet food (no dry food). My question is: is it common for IBD and itching to go hand in hand? Is it harmful to her to have a prednisolone shot every 40 days for the rest of her life? She is only 2 years old.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My IBD kitty did develop an allergy to chicken. He had been on the Pred for about two years when he developed the allergy, it showed up as yeast infection in his ears. My IBD cat took Prednisolone in pill form, 5 mg a day for 8 years and had no issues with the medication. The main issue that cats sometimes develop with long term use of steroids is diabetes. Patches had blood work done every six months primarily to check for diabetes. He also developed fatty liver before he went on the steroid. Fatty liver usually leaves some liver damage so they also checked his liver enzymes every six months.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had a cat on the pills for two years who had cancer. It gave him two years he wouldn't have had. He had no issues, but then started breaking bones because of the cancer. I remembver fighting with teh receptionist who told me i shouldn't give him that for so long, and I told her taht he was dying, and if it gave him comfort who was she to take it away because of what MIGHT happen that might kill him. He was dying anyway......It was the best thing that happened to him in those last months, he was so happy.....

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
What novel protein food are you feeding? Does the brand have a different novel protein you can try? Or maybe you can try a different brand or consider a raw or home cooked diet? Sometimes a novel protein like duck may still cause reaction. Or it may be something else in the food that is causing a reaction, such as gums or fillers.

Most cats with IBD typically take pred as a pill up to twice daily before it is tapered off. Is there a reason why the vet gives the injectable form? Pred can be compounded into a non-pill form such as a transdermal gel if your cat is difficult to pill and you've tried all the tricks such as Pill Pockets, bacon, cheese, etc.

There lots of info here about treating IBD:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Softmeows

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
What novel protein food are you feeding? Does the brand have a different novel protein you can try? Or maybe you can try a different brand or consider a raw or home cooked diet? Sometimes a novel protein like duck may still cause reaction. Or it may be something else in the food that is causing a reaction, such as gums or fillers.

Most cats with IBD typically take pred as a pill up to twice daily before it is tapered off. Is there a reason why the vet gives the injectable form? Pred can be compounded into a non-pill form such as a transdermal gel if your cat is difficult to pill and you've tried all the tricks such as Pill Pockets, bacon, cheese, etc.

There lots of info here about treating IBD:

[/URL]
[/URL]
I think the shot is given for convenience sake. My cat hated and foamed up when I gave her Metronidozole and with a shot everyone is happy. I haven't tried any pens for it, but would be the advantage of that vs shot? I did try different types of food, raw, etc but it did not go well.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think the shot is given for convenience sake. My cat hated and foamed up when I gave her Metronidozole and with a shot everyone is happy.
Flagyl (metronidozole) is just nasty tasty to cats even in pill form. Sometimes a Pill Pocket or something helps, sometimes not.

I haven't tried any pens for it, but would be the advantage of that vs shot? I did try different types of food, raw, etc but it did not go well.
Do you mean the pill form of pred?

Many IBD respond well to a daily dose of pred for their symptoms. A pill dose is usually small. My IBD cat started with one 4mg pill twice a day and dose was slowly tapered off to once a day, then one pill once a day, then half a pill once a day, then half a pill every other day. I used a bacon flavored pill dough to get my cat to take the pill.

The transdermal gel form of pred is easily applied to the inside of the ear with a cotton swab.

soubida

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat was on prednisolone for about half a year for allergies.. and eventually we were able to wean her off with immunotherapy injections. The dermatologist told us that prednisolone, being a steroid, could be detrimental to cats' livers in the long term, and should not be given as a long term solution. Do you have access to a dermatologist in your area? I find that it really helped our cat... she was itching so much she practically had no fur on her back legs/tummy lol. With the immunotherapy (and raw diet) she is fluffier than ever now

PS: if your cat is an allergic kitty it would be ideal to feed a novel protein, something like rabbit/kangaroo/etc. definitely no chicken/seafood