IBD and a terrified tutor

Vivian C

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello! I'm not asking for medical advice, but I would love to hear from people who have dealt (or are still struggling) with the same issues I'm facing right now with my two-year-old Siamese cat Nemo. He had a biopsy in February and was diagnosticated with IBD. I've been following all the vet's prescriptions since then: hypoallergenic cat food, prednisolona, a radical change to the type of meat he eats... Nothing seems to work. Now the vet wants to try Leukeran. And I am terrified.

I'm terrified because I have other cats in a small apartment and I'm afraid they will get in contact with dangerous chemicals in the litter box. I'm terrified because Nemo loves to groom his siblings and get groomed by them in return... Will he be safe to the other cats? I'm terrified of having to handle (with gloves, with double plastic bags) this drug for... how long? I know I sound selfish. Which makes me terrified of being a bad mom to my cat -- whom I love very much. I'm a very anxious person and this is exactly the kind of situation that triggers me and sends me in an endless loop of fear and guilt. I tried to talk to my vet about my fears and he just waved aside my concerns. :bawling:

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Leukeran/chlorambucil – IBDKitties

Welcome to The Cat Site! The above article will answer a lot of your questions about Leukeran/chlorambucil. As an aside, the site it is from which is

IBDKitties – Helping Save Lives…One Paw at a Time

is one that might be a huge help to you.

I have handled chlorambucil for quite a while now, and have handled over the course of time other chemotherapeutic medications for my animals, including one for an old GSD who had been on the same drug for 6 years. Just take the precautions recommended such a using gloves. The first article does address all of this.

As for the use of chlorambucil, most animals tolerate any chemotherapeutic drug much better than humans.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Vivian C

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Leukeran/chlorambucil – IBDKitties

Welcome to The Cat Site! The above article will answer a lot of your questions about Leukeran/chlorambucil. As an aside, the site it is from which is

IBDKitties – Helping Save Lives…One Paw at a Time

is one that might be a huge help to you.

I have handled chlorambucil for quite a while now, and have handled over the course of time other chemotherapeutic medications for my animals, including one for an old GSD who had been on the same drug for 6 years. Just take the precautions recommended such a using gloves. The first article does address all of this.

As for the use of chlorambucil, most animals tolerate any chemotherapeutic drug much better than humans.
Thank you for sharing! I'll read the article.