IBD-allergy tests

t c c

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I just found out that there are cat allergy kits you mail in with either saliva or hair. The prices range from $90-$250, depending on the test. This seems like a faster and cheaper way to find out what my cat is allergic to in his food (considering how long & the cost of food trials). Has anyone used any of these kits? If so, which one did you use, and was it accurate (did you change your cats diets based on the results & was it successful in eliminating the diarrhea)? Thanks for any feedback.

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
Allergy tests are notoriously inaccurate, sadly, and only worth it if you intend to pursue allergy shots with your cat. Even then, exclusion diets are often necessary.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

t c c

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Allergy tests are notoriously inaccurate, sadly, and only worth it if you intend to pursue allergy shots with your cat. Even then, exclusion diets are often necessary.
My understanding for food allergies is that, once I know what foods my cat is allergic to, then I just have to make sure that he doesn't eat any food that contains that product. The vets never told me that he would have to get allergy shots for the rest of his life. This is terrible! How much are the shots? How often do they have to be given? This is horrible. I'm going to have to consider putting him up for adoption. I'm on a fixed income & can barely afford all of the vet bills, increased food costs, etc., as it is. Thanks for that feedback. It is so sad, but helpful.

t c c

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

t c c

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
To add on, would also recommend Feline IBD
They have an FB group as well iirc.
Yes, I belong to that group. It is very helpful. I'm in the same boat as most of the other IBD owners. It is a frustrating disease-trying all suggestions and they never seem to work. Thanks again!

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Before giving your cat up, I would have a discussion with the vet about cost and prognosis. Possibly this is more resolvable than you think.

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
For info about allergy shots, consult with your vet, though no, it’s not for life, much like with allergy shots for humans.

The trouble with allergy testing is that your cat can test positive for things its not allergic to, and vice versa. There’s no guarantee that cutting the things that tested positive will help, as you may be cutting out the wrong things. The idea with allergy shots is that the cat is slowly exposed to the allergens it tested most positive to, which means it’ll be less reactive to the allergen in future.

Exclusion diets are still often necessary, however, as, again, plenty of false positives/false negatives.

Honestly, I’d just go with a LID exclusion diet, without any testing or shots — that’s most meaningful for environmental allergies, anyway. If you’re on FB, join the IBD cat groups, they have a ton of resources.

ETA: it may be cheapest for you to try a raw/cooked exclusion diets with something like EZcomplete, as any half-decent novel LID food will be very expensive, esp with the current shortages.

Last edited:

t c c

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
For info about allergy shots, consult with your vet, though no, it’s not for life, much like with allergy shots for humans.

The trouble with allergy testing is that your cat can test positive for things its not allergic to, and vice versa. There’s no guarantee that cutting the things that tested positive will help, as you may be cutting out the wrong things. The idea with allergy shots is that the cat is slowly exposed to the allergens it tested most positive to, which means it’ll be less reactive to the allergen in future.

Exclusion diets are still often necessary, however, as, again, plenty of false positives/false negatives.

Honestly, I’d just go with a LID exclusion diet, without any testing or shots — that’s most meaningful for environmental allergies, anyway. If you’re on FB, join the IBD cat groups, they have a ton of resources.

ETA: it may be cheapest for you to try a raw/cooked exclusion diets with something like EZcomplete, as any half-decent novel LID food will be very expensive, esp with the current shortages.
Yes, I will contact the vet about the shots. I was just starting a food trial, but don't want to waste the money & time if it's not even going to ultimately tell me anything, & the cat needs allergy shots. Thanks for the info.

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
To clarify, the food trial will tell you everything you need to know, in the long term, it’ll just take a while. The allergy testing is ultimately pointless for food allergies, imo.

Are you using Adored Beast Gut Soothe at the moment? I know at least one of the IBD groups highly recommends it.

t c c

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

I will check into the Ez Compelte you mentioned. He has a food allergy causing IBD, not an environmental allergy. Unless, are you saying that environmental allergies also cause IBD?? OMG. And, yes, I belong to those FB groups. They are great-very helpful. Thanks!

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise

t c c

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
To clarify, the food trial will tell you everything you need to know, in the long term, it’ll just take a while. The allergy testing is ultimately pointless for food allergies, imo.

Are you using Adored Beast Gut Soothe at the moment? I know at least one of the IBD groups highly recommends it.
No, I had not heard of that product. I was using something else, that didn't seem to make a difference. I just switched to something else last week and am giving that a try. He is being started on Chlorambucil in the next week, to hopefully get rid of the inflammation. With the inflammation, all of these products are really a waste of my money because his GI is not even absorbing any of them-another frustration with this disease.

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
No, I had not heard of that product. I was using something else, that didn't seem to make a difference. I just switched to something else last week and am giving that a try. He is being started on Chlorambucil in the next week, to hopefully get rid of the inflammation. With the inflammation, all of these products are really a waste of my money because his GI is not even absorbing any of them-another frustration with this disease.
I’d definitely consult with your vet and experienced people over on the IBD groups, but it may help. It’s a pre & pro biotic and helps with inflammation in a localized matter, so, theoretically, doesn’t need to be effectively absorbed to do its work. If your cat is on a lot of other meds and supplements, definitely worth being sure before adding something else into the mix, though 🙂

t c c

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
No, not at all, sorry to cause confusion. Environmental allergies have nothing to do with IBD.
IBD episodes are triggered by intolerance to specific triggers, which are different to allergies (more info on that here https://advancingmilestones.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/02/Difference-Between-Allergy-Sens-Intol.pdf). It’s possible a cat could have both, but, on top of everything, I’m doubtful an allergy test has any chance of detecting an IBD intolerance.
Thanks for that link! Very informative in defining the differences.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I will check into the Ez Compelte you mentioned. He has a food allergy causing IBD, not an environmental allergy.

What are you currently feeding your cat? Brands and type?

Chicken is a common cause of flare ups in IBD cats so that's one thing you can easily eliminate from the diet. You may want to exclude all poultry from the diet as some IBD cats are sensitive to all poultry, not just chicken. Fillers like gums and starches can also cause flare ups in some IBD cats so eliminate those too if possible.

Rabbit is usually a suggested novel protein to try first.

If you want to make your own food, either cooked or raw, sourcing a novel protein may be difficult unless you buy from Hare-Today.com or have a good butcher shop or other local source for uncommon proteins.

t c c

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
What are you currently feeding your cat? Brands and type?

Chicken is a common cause of flare ups in IBD cats so that's one thing you can easily eliminate from the diet. You may want to exclude all poultry from the diet as some IBD cats are sensitive to all poultry, not just chicken. Fillers like gums and starches can also cause flare ups in some IBD cats so eliminate those too if possible.

Rabbit is usually a suggested novel protein to try first.

If you want to make your own food, either cooked or raw, sourcing a novel protein may be difficult unless you buy from Hare-Today.com or have a good butcher shop or other local source for uncommon proteins.
I have started a food trial a few days ago with rabbit. Food trials take a long time, are expensive, and extend the length of time a pet is in pain, which is why I asked about anyone's usage of the food allergy tests. Once I have determined what he is allergic to, then I will be able to proceed with how I will maintain that diet for the rest of his life. Thanks for that info. It's helpful.