I would like to get an idea the breed of my cat :)

littlemelissa

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm still confused with what breed she is? I've heard Norwegian Forest Cat but she's not super furry? Perhaps she's mixed? Also confused on what a short/long hair domestic cat is? I've had some one tell me she was but I have no clue :[ thanks for the help!:)
when she was younger ^^

ha ha^^

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
95% of cats dont belong to any particular breed. So they are usually called for domestic. And may be short or longhaired, whichever they are.  Yours seems to be shorthaired.  (the tail gives them away in close cases.)  The pattern I would call for two coloured, , colors is grey(?) and white.

Grey is by cat fanciers usually called for blue.

So: domestic short hair, bicolor blue and white.  

Someone may even call her for tuxedo, if you think she has a coat on her.

OK.  What is thus a breed, if most cats are NOT a breed.

Breed is not what they happen to perhaps look a little alike. Breed is about their ancestry, and what they are registered as in a cat association.  Or, at least, good proofs they do belong, if they dont have their certificates handy.

Of course, having purebred ancestors, they usually DO have the looks of their breeds.   :)

So they are in the cat books not because they are somewhat looks alike, it is the other way around: they are there BECAUSE they are good representants.

Internet isnt nearly as reliable as cat books, of course, as anybody can write anything.

That said, what remains.  It is of course a nice pastime to compare ones cat with known breeds, just for the fun of it. Yours kitten is very pretty, but just vaguely resembling a Norwegian (who are longhaired).  Although the bicolor pattern is quite common among the NFC.

Good luck!

T

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

littlemelissa

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
thank you! :) very informative :)))