I was bit by my cat

marianne

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I was bit by my (Maine Coon) cat on my lower leg. The wound looked like I had been pierced with a needle.

After a couple of days my leg was pink round the piercing point and swollen. I went to see the doctor.

She gave me a vaccination against tetanus and a compress with antibiotic.

I must mention to you who read this, that my cat is 10 years old and he is normally playful and harmless.

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I hope you heal up well.

Cat bites can be very nasty indeed. When my cat was young he bit my thumb really deeply and I had to go on antibiotics for a week. It was a deep, painful wound.

Has your cat been aggressive before this or was this a random attack? Do you know what caused him to lash out like this?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

marianne

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for your reply.

My lower leg has healed well. It took about a week.

My cat is aggressive only when I brush him. He likes to attack when I have bare feet. That's what I had when he bit me.

He also likes to hide under the stairs in the basement and appears when I walk by.

He is very playful in spite of his age. He will be 11 years this fall.

rad65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Glad you healed up fine, cat bites can get infected really easily.

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Bites are more serious than scratches. The teeth drive the germs more deeply into the body.  Any time you get scratched or bitten, let the wound bleed a little, then use hydrogen peroxide, then alcohol. Every cat and dog owner should keep their tetanus vaccinations up-to-date.

marianne

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
 I would like to send you a belated thank for your information.

marianne

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My Maine coons are both fine, thank you. :-) They need to be combed often at this time of the year, because they moult (shed) a lot.

Some cats loose  the whole collar too. They don't exactly loose it, but the collar gets short because of the combing. It grows longer in the spring.

My cats have thickest fur in  spring and summer time. :-)