I want to make sure I have this right.

musicteacher

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Someone I know is getting a second cat. They already have an eight year-old female. They plan to get a kitten from the local shelter. I recommended they get a male, because I've read here (I think) that the male-female combination is better than two females. Is that correct? Also, they are concerned about spraying. I told them that if they neuter at the correct time it is unlikely that the kitten will spray. My male cat is neutered and has never sprayed, but I want to be sure that I'm correct on this one too, so I can give the best advice possible. (I also directed them to this site
).

nebula11

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The spraying thing you are right on about...

As for the combination of sexes...in any fassion...I tend to believe that it more about the personality of the cat then the sex of it...Though I too have heard in the past about the deadly combination of of female female...

Though there are many kit sisters on TCs that disproove that.....

All the luck to your friend....

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ihave heard to much about the spraying thing.........so we've decided that we'll have females.That being said, we got Neela about 2 weeks ago.we've had Blaze since sometime over the Summer...after 2 weeks, the girls are best frineds.Blaze is even grooming Neela now, as you can see in my signature.
I think it also depends on the cat and not so much the sex as an issue as to what gets along and what doesn't.

seppolina

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I work at an SPCA & we often recommend that, when adding a kitten to a household where there is an older cat, to consider getting two kittens. It is not a requirement, but often a high-energy kitten will GREATLY irritate an older, more sedate cat who doesn't feel like playing. Two kittens are more likely to initiate play with each other rather than trying to include (usually against his will) the older kitty. Just a thought...

Amanda

zak&rocky

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have three males and never had a problem with spraying. The two oldest were neutered at 6 months, and the youngest will go in sometime in January for his. All the cats were neutered before a new cat was introduced. Good litter box hygiene also helps.
I did have a friend who had two males with this problem, and I think the problem was she waited until the older was almost a year old. As I recall, I think she had a financial problem. The older one was also getting friendly with his younger male playmate. (that was the final straw) I believe the problem stopped when she got them neutuered.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by crittermom

Ihave heard to much about the spraying thing.........so we've decided that we'll have females.That being said, we got Neela about 2 weeks ago.we've had Blaze since sometime over the Summer...after 2 weeks, the girls are best frineds.Blaze is even grooming Neela now, as you can see in my signature.
I think it also depends on the cat and not so much the sex as an issue as to what gets along and what doesn't.
Sex doesn't matter, males spray more often but many many females spray too. my females did. Now they stopped. I also have 2 males mixed in with my 5 females and none of them spray.

If you neuter the male right away he most likely will not spray. You can have him neutered as young as 8 weeks or 2 lbs. I would do it as soon as possible and NOT wait until 6 months. Some vets are old fashioned and still insist on waiting all the way until then. If you want no risk of spraying, do it much earlier then 6 months. They are already becoming sexually mature by then and even sooner, and this is when the spraying will start most likely. All cats are different however.

touro1979

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am a huge fan of male cats and prob will never get a female. ( i find that males are more loveable and are more likly to follow you around which Is what I like and females tend to VERY independent) They wont spray if you get them fixed at the appropriate time. (6 months at the latest)
I find that males get along for the most part with each other but two females may be a problem. I know there are those that will disagree with this and a lot depends on personlity of the cats but in my personal experience, my mother had several females and we had problems. As soon as my mom got over the fear of spraying and started getting male cats and only one female at a time we never had any problems again.

aries

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I had an only male household, but added two females later.

The two males were neutered soon after I got them. Pete because of an aggression problem which neutering didn't help (only time and age and a companion helped). Snow just because I didn't want him impregnating the outdoor kitty when he occassionally went out (since I couldn't catch her). Neither of the cats are terribly loving, but will occassionally submit to a few cuddles if I just can't restrain myself.
Peter and Snow are great buddies (no funny business). They have an occassional spat but nothing serious.

The two girls, Angel and Leighia, are half-sisters from the outdoor kitty that I have never been able to catch (one day!). They are very affectionate little lovey doves and they get along great. They will tussle like kittens romping and playing in mock fights that occassionally get a little carried away and I have to intervene. Angel after all is almost two and Leighia is only about 6 months, Angel has a bit of an advantage over Leighia.
But Angel will lay and wash Leighia and Leighia is beginning to recipriocate (something the boys never do!). BTW, they have a good relationship with their mother and get along well.

All in all, I believe like others, it just depends on the personalities.

menagerie mama

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have 4 boys and 3 girl cats. They all get along, or at least tolerate each other fine. I don't think it has much to do with sexes. I suggest neutering around 5 and 1/2 months. Old enough to have enough good hormones to grow but early enough so the bad spraying hormones don't kick in!