I want to help and keep this stray cat so bad, but!

mxiong162

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi ,

Im a First time stray cat feeder, been feeding this stray cat day and night for 4 months now it hangs around all day on my deck..It’s getting colder and Im finally gonna bring it to the vet to check if it is microchipped. If not i might keep her but yall i get traumatized from worms and slimy creatures. I dont jnow how i can handle seeing if the cat has worms in her and in her stool.I was reading comments about seeing worms come out of cats butt ect and vomiting it. Awww i really really want to keep this cat so bad, but why im so scare of these stuff..:(

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Have the vet give the cat an exam to check overall health. Ask him about worming the cat. See if they want you to bring a fresh stool sample for the visit ( if you even know where this cat goes). A general wormer should end any bout with worms. Tell him you are squeamish and ask if you will see any worms in the litterbox. They won't hurt you. Scoop them, with the litter, into a bag and dispose of them and wash your hands. Once the cat is wormed, you should never see worms again.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
All the above plus, you are saving a life and sharing a relationship that will benefit you and kitty. Rescue kitties are wonderful. I understand the germ thing or being squeamish but I have found that over time I have gotten less and less squeamish and now I get the greatest pleasure from the kitties. I would not change a thing. I wonder how I ever got along without them! I was squeamish when my daughter was born. Diapers! Ugh! Lol The love for her changed my world. I hope you can find a way to bring this kitty into your life. Maybe Gloves for the litter box cleaning and let the vet handle anything that bothers you until you feel you can do it.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, have the vet worm the cat while she is there. Dont look at the stool for a while, just quickly scoop it and bag it. If she is kept indoors she will NOT get worms. They get them from eating fleas on rodents when they eat them. Tapeworm segments are what are usually seen on the rears of cats, and are NOT going to infect humans. They have a life cycle that HAS to go through the flea. So dont worry you will get anything once she is wormed. Make sure what the vetgives her is for tapeworms too. Good luck, we are here for you!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mxiong162

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes, have the vet worm the cat while she is there. Dont look at the stool for a while, just quickly scoop it and bag it. If she is kept indoors she will NOT get worms. They get them from eating fleas on rodents when they eat them. Tapeworm segments are what are usually seen on the rears of cats, and are NOT going to infect humans. They have a life cycle that HAS to go through the flea. So dont worry you will get anything once she is wormed. Make sure what the vetgives her is for tapeworms too. Good luck, we are here for you!
Would you say after i got her tested and vaccine and get her flea problem / worm problem done as long as she stay indoor and in a clean environment she will never have it again.. lol im planning to keep her indoor at all times and maybe out to the patio deck only for some air supervised..

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
If she is an indoor cat the worm problem should come to an end. About the only other scenario, which has happened to me in years in which the fleas are bad, is that an indoor cat can still eat a flea and get tapeworms but if you are careful about flea treatment and fleas in your house that is very unlikely to happen.

mxiong162

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'd love to know what happened! Could you update? Thanks.
So found out it’s a neighbor a couple houses across the street’s cat. I have been feeding this cat 2 x a day thinking it was a stray as it keeps meowing by the window and act like its so poor ect.. i went over to ask if it’s her cat and she said yes it’s her cat she let the cat roam all day outside but today was snowing and cold thats why i finally went there. She said the cat does know how to come back when he needs stuff and sleep and all. But i dont know hopefully it’s true what she say cuz she sound nice and have kids and dogs in her home too. But this cat spend comes at 10am to be fed abd than runn off and comes back here and there sititng on my deck lol. It makes me pity it thats why ive been teying to care for it.. but ill prob atop feeding it now since i know she has a owner.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
It may not leave your property so readily since you may be its food source. Many people have a very loose relationship to animal care with cats and assume that they will survive, know how to hunt, show up if they are hungry. Did she ask you not to feed it or give any indication that she does? These situations with neighbors can be awkward, but it sounds like the cat was out looking for food when he found your place.

mxiong162

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It may not leave your property so readily since you may be its food source. Many people have a very loose relationship to animal care with cats and assume that they will survive, know how to hunt, show up if they are hungry. Did she ask you not to feed it or give any indication that she does? These situations with neighbors can be awkward, but it sounds like the cat was out looking for food when he found your place.
I didnt ask much but she told me not to worry about the cat.. she thank me for feeding it and said “so that’s where she has been all day.. she didnt mind that i was feeding her cat. Hopefully i wont see the kitty one day during a snowstorm than ill prob kidnapp it.. hmmm

2 dozen

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much for the update. Seems to me kitty does not want to live there and has adopted you. Does it seem interested in coming inside your home, esp with the bad weather? My sister had a cat that routinely disappeared for days at a time and discovered it had adopted another family that it stayed with and came back to her whenever. Maybe this cat needs a break from original family periodically.

Punxpunx

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If its an outdoor cat, better for it to have another person who provides food and shelter, no? Just in case something happens or sometimes when you can provide things the owner cannot, such as warmth on a cold day when the owners arent home etc