I Want To Hear Your Stories Of The Dad Sticking Around And Caring For The Kittens?

I_Wuv_Kitties

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I know it's rare but I absolutely love stories where the father cat of one or multiple kittens in the litter sticks around or comes back when the mom is in labor. And teaches the kittens the ropes. I know it happens because I've heard stories.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes. Its really not that rare. :)

The problem is momma can get impregnated anew already one week after the delivery...Even if the tom is there mainly to help out.

Merlin77

Warrior of SandClan
Super Cat
Purraise
On an trip to another country, I met this lovely kitty who I called Notch (because of the notch in his ear)

He's a handsome tom with one green eye and one amber eye. Very friendly and loyal. And brave.
IMG_7615.JPG

Anyways, long story short, he paired up with a queen and they had kittens together. When the mother was away, he would care for the kittens and shoo them under parked cars to hide if a human came too close. Now they are probably fully grown and living on their own, but I suspect Notch is still taking care of another litter of kittens.

We haven't been back to the country in 2-3 years, so I can't know for sure.

Back home at the cabin, we have the resident tom Hunter. When Snake had her kittens, he came and visited. I guess he helped out a bit, or maybe he was just checking on his sons and daughters. His other mate, Raini, is very close with him. They travel together and once I caught them in the cat shed sleeping inside one of the nests together.

Here's a a picture of Hunter.
IMG_8384.PNG

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
My girls mom disappeared when she was very young, two young males from the colony took over care of her litter and a second litter when the other mom disappeared. It was really cute to see this trail of kittens following the one boy around while the other boy followed the group herding in stragglers.

I've heard of it happening more in home situations where the male is kinda stuck sticking around until the kittens are born. I've always though Link would have been an amazing foster dad, he absolutely adored Rocket from the moment she came into our home.