I want stray to stay, He wants stray to stay out

Sa'ida Maryam

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
A long sob story
1. There is a stray tabby female who has warmed up to hubby and I. Getting fed, exploring our porch. Making moves to walk under our feet to enter our house. Our resident and stray nose knock, play respectfully ,& share food. Hubby has expressed: no longer wanting any cats in the house. Patio only. He feeds them both on the front porch and talks briefly. He has all the usual excuses ppl who turn cats out use when cat is not longer wanted. He has changed. I always had cats. I can handle
ya'lls real reaction. No problem.
2. My question is what is the best way to proceed with the stray.
. Our resident got off the porch and claimed this street. The roaming cats left. But, I worried and now leash him on the front porch for short scenic time. He has his freedom space on the back patio with supervision.It works well.
We live between a feral community caretaker on one corner and a busy street full of ferels on the opposite corner of our street.
Today tabby visit with me and resident kitty, but leaves to scuffle with roaming street cats who want to claim her street.
yesterday she came -tired ,Head drooping, dozing yet tense while perched. She stays high on building entrances, pounces and attacks as needed. Screenshot_20231121-084014.png Screenshot_20231121-084426.png Screenshot_20231121-084142.png
My heart just bleeds. I believe her kitten came to its demise. As it has disappeared and believe me ppl here do no shelters, take kitten or cats inside homes. This poverty stricken county can not hardly care for another human being . Least a cat. We have no general animal shelters, no low cost vets. There are random care givers as I mentioned before. The cats are not harmed, most appear strong, healthy & some are exquisite , but everywhere. Every open restaurant has a stray- beggin' or resident cat around for scraps.
I would pay reg. Vet. for her. It is just she will have to return to the streets after Spay.
I thank every blogger who shares their story about the ferels cat. I didn't know how they felt as I read their stories. Now, it has happened to me !! Really, a great platform for ppl. involved with cats.

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Bless you for caring about these kitties. Is there any chance of building a nice outdoor enclosure. If hubby doesn't want an indoor cat, maybe this will help. It could keep her safe and from roaming the streets. We had a Purrfect Fence at one time and then hired a professional to build an even more cat proof fence after one of our cats was shot and we had to have one of her front legs removed. It was kind of expensive, but she insisted on going out and was an escape artist. Some of the members on here have nice enclosures. My aunt bred cats and had a great place for her cats in the backyard. My nephew didn't want cats in his house after they had their baby and enclosed the back porch. I bet you could find some nice, affordable ideas on Pinterest. Maybe your husband would be willing to help you build something for them. Just a suggestion. I wish you luck. I think you'll figure something out. Please keep us updated.

poolcat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry, Sa'ida... this must be difficult for you. nurseangel nurseangel 's idea is excellent. Maybe you can get your husband involved in planning for an enclosure or catio.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Sa'ida Maryam

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
1. Is it typical for strays to never stay put? It turns out the front porch works well with resident on a leash for scenic time
Bless you for caring about these kitties. Is there any chance of building a nice outdoor enclosure. If hubby doesn't want an indoor cat, maybe this will help. It could keep her safe and from roaming the streets. We had a Purrfect Fence at one time and then hired a professional to build an even more cat proof fence after one of our cats was shot and we had to have one of her front legs removed. It was kind of expensive, but she insisted on going out and was an escape artist. Some of the members on here have nice enclosures. My aunt bred cats and had a great place for her cats in the backyard. My nephew didn't want cats in his house after they had their baby and enclosed the back porch. I bet you could find some nice, affordable ideas on Pinterest. Maybe your husband would be willing to help you build something for them. Just a suggestion. I wish you luck. I think you'll figure something out. Please keep us updated.
. Hubby agreed to let resident sleep in extra bathroom during the nights. Little tabby surprised us both this morning she had taken up the empty space, our resident once used at night. So each cat was rotated to a new sleeping place. One in the house bathroom at night. One on the front porch at night. Stray was so tired , just lifted head in gratitude and continued to sleep for 7 hours this morning. I still don't know what stray will do, tho. Stray squeaks to get in. So, why does strays leave after being fed good food, have nice cozy pet bed. It's like it checks in and out on Its own.

Sa'ida Maryam

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hubby agreed to let resident sleep in extra bathroom during the nights. Little tabby surprised us both this morning she had taken up the empty space, our resident once used at night. So each cat was rotated to a new sleeping place. One in the house bathroom at night. One on the front porch at night.

Sa'ida Maryam

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I noticed resident is easy & tolerant of stray. They nose knock. Resident looks for stray whe it is gone. Stray most likely has some scents on it . Stray is caution on some days, like today.
Will the two be buddies when one desperately wants its own place?

poolcat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
That seems unusual to me... and wonderful/ I would expect the resident cat to be defensive of its territory, rather than friendly toward a strange cat. As long as they aren't hissing, growling, or fighting, there's a chance they'll become friends.

Sa'ida Maryam

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes, no hissing. O IMG_20231123_150957_296~2.jpg ur 3yo was looking for a buddie. When the stay came with kitten in tow. Our resident shared food with them both. The kitten ate its fill, while mum stray only ate outside the porch. We have learned the kitten was hit by a car. Leaving mum stray alone. Now, the area has been rearranged and mum has taken up residency on the front porch within this past week.
I keep resident separated from feral mum, until we can get stray to trust us enough to get in cage for a vet visit.

Sa'ida Maryam

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks for sharing that others have their reservation about cats in the house,too. We agreed to get pros to gate the space which needs:running: securing as cats do climb and jump even, 12 ft. Walls.
Pls. See the update: Nov 23

Sa'ida Maryam

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Okay, this thread is closing. The suggestions of building a more secure outdoor spaces is worth taking. It will keep the cats safe, help avoid their boredom, smells will diminish with the fresh air, and other things I have not thought of. Thanks Soo much, everyone.

Theauctions1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
A long sob story
1. There is a stray tabby female who has warmed up to hubby and I. Getting fed, exploring our porch. Making moves to walk under our feet to enter our house. Our resident and stray nose knock, play respectfully ,& share food. Hubby has expressed: no longer wanting any cats in the house. Patio only. He feeds them both on the front porch and talks briefly. He has all the usual excuses ppl who turn cats out use when cat is not longer wanted. He has changed. I always had cats. I can handle
ya'lls real reaction. No problem.
2. My question is what is the best way to proceed with the stray.
. Our resident got off the porch and claimed this street. The roaming cats left. But, I worried and now leash him on the front porch for short scenic time. He has his freedom space on the back patio with supervision.It works well.
We live between a feral community caretaker on one corner and a busy street full of ferels on the opposite corner of our street.
Today tabby visit with me and resident kitty, but leaves to scuffle with roaming street cats who want to claim her street.
yesterday she came -tired ,Head drooping, dozing yet tense while perched. She stays high on building entrances, pounces and attacks as needed.View attachment 463937View attachment 463938View attachment 463939
My heart just bleeds. I believe her kitten came to its demise. As it has disappeared and believe me ppl here do no shelters, take kitten or cats inside homes. This poverty stricken county can not hardly care for another human being . Least a cat. We have no general animal shelters, no low cost vets. There are random care givers as I mentioned before. The cats are not harmed, most appear strong, healthy & some are exquisite , but everywhere. Every open restaurant has a stray- beggin' or resident cat around for scraps.
I would pay reg. Vet. for her. It is just she will have to return to the streets after Spay.
I thank every blogger who shares their story about the ferels cat. I didn't know how they felt as I read their stories. Now, it has happened to me !! Really, a great platform for ppl. involved with cats.
Building an outdoor catio within an indoor shed would do wonders in keeping this baby safe! There are many inexpensive ways of building sturdy fencing from wood and chicken wire. It works wonders for me, the cats see the outdoors and have a safe roof every single day! Hope it helps🤞🏻🙏🥹