I want a lap cat

melissaw

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry you are missing your lap kitty!

In my experience its a personality thing rather than something that can be trained.
My Aspen is a total lap kitty. Her ideal place to be is lying on top of me, the closer she can get the better! She's so squishy and lovey all the time.
Libby on the other hand is very much her own cat. If she sees you sitting down and she's "in the mood" she will jump up and snuggle a bit and let you pet her, but she's definitely only willing to do this on her own terms. She will be 4 this year and as she gets older she is getting way more cuddly, but still definitely on her own terms!

stellalunalu

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
You have the exact problem I wish I had.  I have three cats.  Two of which are lap cats when you're ALONE or with ONE or TWO more people, no more than that.   However, in my experience it does seem that the older your cat becomes, the cuddlier they become! 

nycats

Mother of 3 cats & fosters
Adult Cat
Purraise
I wish my cats were lap kitties as well. At 18 months, they have become a little mellower than when they were kittens but still pretty rambunctious. They do come close to me at times and sit there. The boy cat does come to bed with me at times and sleep right next to me, sometimes in my arms, so I can't complain. I go "awww" every time I see his little paws and head on my arm. I think he has potential to be snugglier when he is a bit older.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I always thought boys were more cuddly then girls. And it seemed they were on my lap a lot more when they were kittens then they are now. Now that Burt is 13 years old he does like to sleep more on my lap, I guess we both get 'tired' the older we get!

stephiedoodle

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have a sunbather rather than a lap cat Lilly would spend all day lying in the sun that streams through our lounge window from the minute it rises to the minute it sets. She has also laid claim to our daughters blanket bear which is not good.

cutepixie93

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I know this is old news, but it made me think of my mom wishing her Boo Boo was a lap cat. I often heard that males are more affectionate than females, Tinkerbell,Vixie were both antisocial so we always get male cats now, sorry about ur feline friend, may I suggest you get a male kitten, got Bruce from a shelter.:D

baaduu

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Our cat is a non-snuggler most of the day, but comes in for a snuggle once or twice a day.  As time has gone on, the snuggle sessions (usually on a lap) have lengthened gradually.  To encourage this, we've kept lap time as non-threatening as possible and let him leave whenever he's ready (we don't clutch & try to make him stay.)  Our theory is that the more he feels free to be a lap cat, the more he'll be a lap cat.  So, he's a 98% non-lap cat who is on the way to being a 95% or lower non-lap cat :)