I want a cat... so badly... *cries*

callista

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm a college student living in a dorm, and consequently not allowed to own a cat.

I had a cat as a child, whom I unimaginatively named Tiger, who taught me how to speak Cat... how to understand what a cat was thinking and feeling, how to read body language and tail twitches and mews...

Tiger died of feline leukemia at age two; I still miss her.

I get along with cats better than I do with people, because I have Asperger syndrome (mild autism) and that naturally makes me prefer my people in small, manageable doses (a few good friends rather than the usual party crowd). Cats are wonderful to be with, because they're totally unthreatening; to spend time with a cat is to have silent companionship, rather than with a dog, who demands your attention! And, if you are very lucky, you may even be made an honorary cat yourself...

There's a small feral colony near my college; there are about fifteen cats, and the owners of a nearby restaurant are feeding them and are currently working on trapping and neutering the ones that are too wild to live with humans. I don't know how many times I've put money in the "Cat Food Fund" jar... the food there is good too, though, so it's easy enough to leave tips

Ah, and it's kitten season!! Hopefully there will be fewer feral kittens this year than last; I hope they're able to find and trap the kittens before they're too old to be socialized.

I could just strangle those college students who get a "cute kitten" and then abandon it when they graduate... idiots!!

h~chan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Welcome to TCS!

Sorry to hear that you can't have a cat..
Hope you have fun here anyways!

See you around!

stormy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello
it's nice to meet you!!!

charmed654321

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It's so wonderful to hear about people who really are and help animals by catching and neutering ferals. Made my day!

I done quite a bit of reading on the subject, and correct me if I'm wrong, but it is my understanding that a very common trait in people with AS is not only the love and preference of animal companionship, but also a very strong ability to understand them, love them, and especially empathize with them, usually moreso than the rest of the population. From what I've heard, it can the be very much a blessing and a curse

But I can also understand how it can make you yearn for the companionship so strongly. Have you considered doing some volunteer with with a local shelter or rescue group, actually spending time with the animals, perhaps helping them socialize some, or even helping take care of their daily needs? It might be something to think about if you really are missing having them around these days, until you are in a position to share your life with your own.

I wish you luck and good things in your life and future!

beckiboo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Welcome to TCS. How nice to hear that the feral colony near you is being cared for! Maybe you could volunteer to help out with the feedings?

I have a coworker who's son (age 5, I think), has just recently been diagnosed with AS. I know they have pet dogs, but I don't think they have any cats. Maybe I'll suggest getting him a kitty, when the time is right! Every kid should have plenty of pets, IMHO! I know at my house, the cats outnumber the kids!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

callista

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I done quite a bit of reading on the subject, and correct me if I'm wrong, but it is my understanding that a very common trait in people with AS is not only the love and preference of animal companionship, but also a very strong ability to understand them, love them, and especially empathize with them, usually moreso than the rest of the population. From what I've heard, it can the be very much a blessing and a curse.
Indeed it is. I think of AS as more of a "personality trait" than a "disability"; and while you do have to learn to live with it, it can become an advantage.

I should very much like to volunteer at an animal shelter; but I live in a small college town (with no shelter) and don't have a car or driver's license. Calling a cab would be prohibitively expensive... Most of the time, I content myself with sitting outside the restaurant when I order food there, and watching the cats--sort of out of the corner of my eye, you know, because otherwise they think you're threatening them...

I don't think they need help with feeding; as I said, it's a small colony and the restaurant is open every day, so they're there to feed the cats. They do get fed dry food almost exclusively; so every once in a while when I notice a sale on canned cat food, they'll get a few cans of that, though usually I just give the cans to the restaurant owners rather than to the cats directly. I don't know much about when or where best to give the food to the cats; and naturally they don't trust me near as much as the people who actually feed them! I certainly don't want to startle them, especially now when there might be kittens in the picture.

Ah, well... I think, when I graduate and get an apartment of my own, I shall have a cat... or two, most likely, because I'll have a job and I'd rather they entertain each other while I'm gone than lie around getting fat and bored!

Until then... I read about cats in places like this. I can be patient.

[Edit]Oh--How can you change your avatar?

pombina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The cats house, we just pay the mortgage..
Hi there! Welcome to TCS!
You are amongst friends here with that attitude towards cats! How amazing that As makes you more acceptable to cats. I read a book called 'The curious incident of the dog in the night time'. This was about a young boy with Aspergers.
I think it's wonderful that people (the restaurant owners) are taking it upon themselves to neuter these ferals, and feed them. If only the world was filled with more people like them.
I hope it's not long until you graduate so that you can get a kitty or 2, or 3, or 4
They are just the best companions.

callista

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aha! Perfect. I now have an avatar. Thanks, Captiva.

enigma

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi and Welcome to TCS!! You'll find this a wonderful site for cat lovers. btw, My nephews have autism also, they are twins on top of that, one has more severe than the other. I think they are absolutely the best who view the world in ways many people can never see. again, Welcome welcome welcome!!

jeanor

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello and welcome to The Cat Site

You'll love it here
and be addicted in no time!

I know it must be tough not being able to have a cat right now, but the time will come.
the ferals are lucky that you care about them.

callista

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think I already am addicted.

It's strange, though... A lot of the people here are so very emotional about their cats (which is fine, and pretty cute); and I tend towards the logical approach. Strangely enough, there's no less love between me and cats than with someone who calls herself a "meowmy" and baby-talks to their cat... instead of, as I do, calling a cat a "companion" and talking to them as though they were another human...

It's one of those Aspie quirks, I guess!

commonoddity042

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Callista

I think I already am addicted.

It's strange, though... A lot of the people here are so very emotional about their cats (which is fine, and pretty cute); and I tend towards the logical approach. Strangely enough, there's no less love between me and cats than with someone who calls herself a "meowmy" and baby-talks to their cat... instead of, as I do, calling a cat a "companion" and talking to them as though they were another human...

It's one of those Aspie quirks, I guess!
It is okay. I tend to take a more logical approach too. I must admit, the "meowmy" thing confused me at first, but I've gotten used to it. I consider Pudge to be a wierd friend I take care of.

welcome to tcs!

texbabyj

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey! I am a college student too and I couldn't have a cat while living in the dorms either, but now that I am getting my own apartment my baby is worth the wait!! A lot of girls I knew kept cats secretly in their dorms, but when they were found in there during fire drills and what not they were just let go outside, which seemed really mean to me. It seemed cruel to just send them off like that, but at the same time the girls knew they couldn't have them and they did it anyway... oh well hopefully you can get one if you get an apartment or something

Jess

callista

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It IS mean!! They should at least have taken the cats to a (hopefully no-kill) shelter. Just because some college girl is irresponsible doesn't mean the cat should suffer for it.

I've known of it happening here too... one girl actually got away with it; she kept a kitten for an entire semester... and there's this gray stray cat that lives in a dorm courtyard and gets fed scraps and canned food by the girls.

I'm living in an apartment this summer... only problem? No Pets Allowed. Gack.

It's probably smarter, though, not having a cat until I've graduated and am reasonably financially secure (i.e., "not living on ramen") is probably better for the cat. I'd hate for a pet to have some medical problem I couldn't take care of because I couldn't pay.

soka

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Welcome.

I'm a college student as well, and like 99.9% of colleges, my college does not allow us to have anything but fish in our dorms. I'm in Wise, Va and we have a very large number of stray and feral animals running around here. Thats how I came across Miki. The most this college will do if you are caught with a cat is fine you, and make you find somewhere for the cat to stay until you go home. It kind of sucks, and I wish they had on campus housing for those who want pets.

ilovesiamese

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
HI and welcome to TCS.

I was in your situation only a few short months ago but have been lucky enought to now have a place that allows animals.

How long till your done school??? and what are you taking????

I hope to get to know you better soon,

Kallie