I think Zeus wants to be an outdoor cat :(

lovemyzeus

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So I opened the front door about 20 minutes ago and Zeus darted out!  Every time we open any of the 3 outside doors we have he tries to run outside. This time he caught me by surprise and raced out.

It took me 20 minutes to get him back inside. Once in  the house he started meowing really loud, which is unusual for him, then raced up and down the stairs grunting until he was panting. Then he returned to the door and started meowing again. 

What the heck? 

Last edited:

nansiludie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

So I opened the front this about 20 minutes ago and Zeus darted out!  Every time we open any of the 3 outside doors we have he tries to run outside. This time he caught me by surprise and raced out.

It took me 20 minutes to get him back inside. Once in  the house he started meowing really loud, which is unusual for him, then raced up and down the stairs grunting until he was panting. Then he returned to the door and started meowing again. 

What the heck? 
Has he always been indoor or what? Could you possibly make him a little balcony that is screened in so he cannot escape? If you let him out he may very well get injured or worse. If he's not street wise he may very well end up dead. I'm very sorry to put it so bluntly but I am worried for him.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lovemyzeus

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm worried too, he is an indoor cat, we got him when he was only 11 weeks and he has never been outside except the few times he ran out during pizza delivery. This is the first time he ran out and took off. I know he will get hurt he is only about 6 months and 3 weeks old.

Last edited:

detroitcatlady

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Some cats develop a fascination with the outdoors even if they never were outdoor cats. My cat Pumpkin likes to sit by the door and try to sneak out so I have to keep him away from the entrances. If possible you may want to not allow him near the doors when you are coming in and out so that he can't sneak outside.

lovemyzeus

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
@Kat kisser: Possibly, I am also very concerned about fleas and parasites he may attract, especially here in Florida.

We had a cat we adopted from a shelter when we lived in NJ. The shelter suggested he be an indoor/outdoor cat because he escaped from several local shelters, lol. We allowed him to come and go as he pleased and he brought home fleas and ticks at least two times. It was a pain, especially the fleas, but he was an awesome cat and excellent mouse killer so we put up with it. We had him till he was 18 years old.

I would prefer to keep Zeus in the house safe and somewhat protected, he has already had fleas and feline scabies in his short life so far.

Last edited:

macha 143

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Indoor cats once they escaped and they enjoyed outside they would cry to go out, but please don't let him. Hoping he would stop crying soon and hoping he would let you sleep too lol

Seriously, he'd been through enough already and you would not want him to catch fleas and etc. outside. Please... try to be careful once you open the door, now he tasted outside , he might do it again.

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I second the harness idea.  He will get to go out and he will be safe.  I enjoy taking Eclipse out.  Fluffy prefers to be inside and only ventures out in the mesh tunnel/tent.

lovemyzeus

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
UPDATE: I have been seeing a LOT of bunnies in my front yard, I think that is why Zeus had become obsessed with going outside.

Since it is a drizzly/rainy grey day today, I decided I would let Zeus run out on the lanai to let him see how "not so fun" the outside is. He ran out, stopped once he reached about 15' then quickly ran back in the house 

We'll see if that works 

Last edited:

crazy4strays

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How is your "environmental enrichment?" Do you have a large cat tree and plenty of cat toys? What about a bird feeder hung near the cat tree so the cat can stalk birds from the safety of the indoors? Also, is he an only cat or do you have a companion for him?

I've transitioned an indoor/outdoor cat to indoors and environmental enrichment is really key. Sometimes cats get bored indoors.

lovemyzeus

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
He has a cat tree and tons of cat toys. I have 3 poles with things dangling from them - one is Da Bird, it is hanging from my book case (when we are not using it for exercise), one of them has a mini feather boa (used to be his favorite) it is wedged in between the arm and back of one of our living room chairs, the last one has a mouse hanging from a bouncy rope that squeaks and lights up when he plays with it. 

He is my only cat, my husband is allergic so there is no way I could manage two cats without causing him to have an asthma attack every time he comes home 

The lanai has a screen cage around it so no birds nearby, unfortunately. 

I have been looking for a butterfly terrarium so I can bring the outside him for him. The terrariums I have found were soft cages - screened in, I know he will jump on it or tear into it if it is not plastic or glass. I will keep looking though 

Last edited: