I Think She's Bored, But...

ObeseChess

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello again everyone!

Sassy and I are settling in well to our new living space. For those of you catching up, she is a happy and healthy 12-year-old domestic longhair that I rescued from neglect about a year and a half ago. We just recently moved into a new apartment after living with housemates. Sassy has handled the adjustment to being alone all day pretty well for the most part, she clearly misses me but doesn't tear the place up when I'm gone, poop and pee stay in the litter box, etc.

Playtime has always been a little bit of an issue for her - I have never found a toy that she enjoys that doesn't involve treats or huge amounts of catnip, with the exception of a piece of string, which she will go insane for for as long as you wiggle it at her. All that said, she used to be indoor/outdoor and I think getting her outside gave her enough stimulation that playtime didn't need to be priority one when she was inside. I have a catio that she can freely go in and out of as well as cat trees and perches in front of every window, but she doesn't seem to have figured these out yet.

So, for the past few days she has started waking me up at 4:45-5am every day by getting out of bed, marching into the living room, and wailing mournfully until I come out and see what the ruckus is. This morning she walked over to the shelf where I keep the brushes and purring excitedly, but I explained to her that, no, we don't get to get brushed at 4:45am, and carried her back to bed. She has also just generally been vocalizing more recently. No other changes in behavior. She is eating and drinking and peeing and pooping and sleeping and snuggling normally.

Oddly, this started when I bought a window unit air conditioner, but that doesn't seem to stress her out. She sniffed it a few times and then ignored it. So I think that's a coincidence. I'm stumped otherwise, though.

All of which is to say, I think she is getting bored, and I'm sure the string is going to get old eventually - what can I do to keep her stimulated during the day other than what I have already done? I have bought every possible cat toy I can find and her reaction is usually "Hm. Interesting." What else could be going on here that she would have gotten it into her head that 5am is brushing time and playtime?

Obligatory photo attached, of course.

Attachments

suzeanna

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She's so cute!! :loveeyes: I don't know if your kitty enjoys the laser pointer, but mine does, and I toss her a treat like you mentioned whenever she catches the dot. However, the treats are greenies dental treats that I cut into ~7 pieces each, so the overall calorie impact isn't high. 4-5 treats is under 10 calories and engages her in catching the dot about 30 times! (Sometimes I give her 2 if she does a strenuous or particularly impressive "catch")

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You may find that when you are gone, she'll start exploring all the lovely things you got for her! You seem to have done a stellar job of providing a wonderfully enriched environment for her...but she has you to play with.

At this point, your best bet is (at least pretend) to ignore her at these early morning wake-up calls. If she gets NO reaction, eventually she will stop. And I know how hard that can be. And there are some methods of Waking the Human that cannot be ignored. When my girl wants me up, she sticks her paw in my mouth and jerks on my cheek. I KNOW WHERE THAT PAW HAS BEEN! Works like a charm, sending me fleeing to the bathroom and my Giant Economy Sized bottle of Listerine!

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
The increase in middle of the night meowing could be related to her age. The reason older cats vocalize at night is unknown but it’s really common. Calling out to them or bringing them to bed when they start meowing helps and leaving a nightlight on for the cat may help as well.

Its also pretty common for an older cat to play much less. Mine have always preferred solitary play as they have aged and usually just for a few minutes at a time. You can try food puzzles to stimulate her or try hiding treats for her to hunt and find,

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ObeseChess

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She's so cute!! :loveeyes: I don't know if your kitty enjoys the laser pointer, but mine does, and I toss her a treat like you mentioned whenever she catches the dot. However, the treats are greenies dental treats that I cut into ~7 pieces each, so the overall calorie impact isn't high. 4-5 treats is under 10 calories and engages her in catching the dot about 30 times! (Sometimes I give her 2 if she does a strenuous or particularly impressive "catch")
No laser pointer for her! She knows it's not a real thing for her to catch. She's very funny - she doesn't like "da bird," for example, or any of the similar devices that stick on to the end of that little wand/wire/whatever, but she loves trying to catch just the bare wand, no attachment. I guess she thinks it looks like a bug.

You may find that when you are gone, she'll start exploring all the lovely things you got for her! You seem to have done a stellar job of providing a wonderfully enriched environment for her...but she has you to play with.

At this point, your best bet is (at least pretend) to ignore her at these early morning wake-up calls. If she gets NO reaction, eventually she will stop. And I know how hard that can be. And there are some methods of Waking the Human that cannot be ignored. When my girl wants me up, she sticks her paw in my mouth and jerks on my cheek. I KNOW WHERE THAT PAW HAS BEEN! Works like a charm, sending me fleeing to the bathroom and my Giant Economy Sized bottle of Listerine!
Yeah, I've started ignoring her, or at least calling her to bed as discussed below. She likes to prance around on me, but that's been a constant as she doesn't really know where blanket ends and dad begins. So it goes.

The increase in middle of the night meowing could be related to her age. The reason older cats vocalize at night is unknown but it’s really common. Calling out to them or bringing them to bed when they start meowing helps and leaving a nightlight on for the cat may help as well.

Its also pretty common for an older cat to play much less. Mine have always preferred solitary play as they have aged and usually just for a few minutes at a time. You can try food puzzles to stimulate her or try hiding treats for her to hunt and find,
Yep, this is what I do and we get a good brushing and play session in a couple times a night when I get home from work. She also has a great internal clock for knowing when it's time for me to break out the puzzle feeders - I have a few that I rotate between and she loves those. I just wish I knew what she was so stressed out about! Or maybe she's just getting chattier in her old age. She's never been much of a play-er minus the exceptions I mentioned, but I figured that was both a function of old age and of getting to hang out outside in the garden all day.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
She's very funny - she doesn't like "da bird," for example, or any of the similar devices that stick on to the end of that little wand/wire/whatever, but she loves trying to catch just the bare wand, no attachment. I guess she thinks it looks like a bug.
Well, maybe Hekitty isn't quite as insane as I thought she is! She, also, prefers the bare wand tip to the feathers. She'll half-heartedly slap at the feathers a few times, but BOY does she go for the tip! She also likes the Cat Dancer, which looks remarkably like a moth when in motion, and Da Bee, which she prefers to have buzz along the ground (and I MUST say "Buzzywuzzywuzzy" continually!).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ObeseChess

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yeah, Sassy likes the empty clip that those things clip on to, but not any of the toys themselves. Thrifty little cat!