I think she's allergic!

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
To my house!

Miss Squeaky started having sneezing fits at some point yesterday - she was fine up until then, been in the main part of the house since Sunday morning, and was isolated in my downstairs laundry/bath for a full week before that.

Her eyes are clear, no mucus, nothing is runny, no sign of anything up her nose (I looked!
)

I researched feline sneezing a bit, and it might well be an allergy to something in the house (the Feliway diffusers? Dust? Cat fur???
)

But it could also be from a bad tooth - she does have a red spot on her gums at one of her back teeth that I saw at the vet's, although he said at this point it didn't look like it was a problem.

So here I go again, worrying! NOT concerned about calcivirus, she's been tested and vaxed, and all the others are/were vaxed as needed, plus she shows no symptoms except the little sneeze fits.

I act worried and ask her why she's sneezing, she looks at me like, "What? Is there a problem? Humans are weird!"

Anyone have any experience with cats that have little sneezing fits? I'm talking like, 10 sneezes in a row, then nothing for an hour or two. Then 8 sneezes, nothing for 10 minutes, 5 more sneezes, then nothing for another couple of hours. Is so strange!

A friend of mine says one of hers gets hay fever in the fall, and she has to take Benedryl prescribed by her vet.

I think Miss Squeaky might just be a real handful.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My Hannah will start sneezing every time the weather changes. I have to watch her because she'll get an upper respiratory infection due to her herpes, but weather changing is usually when it happens.

ducman69

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Found out the hard way that the catnip I had purchased and put on all the kitty stuff was giving Wesley sneezing fits.

Took 3-4 times before I put two and two together that giving him catnip didn't agree with him.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Ducman69

Found out the hard way that the catnip I had purchased and put on all the kitty stuff was giving Wesley sneezing fits.

Took 3-4 times before I put two and two together that giving him catnip didn't agree with him.
Hmmmm...that's another possibility, because I have catnip on all the toys that are out upstairs at the moment, and she was sneezing while rolling around, rubbing her face into a catnip pillow yesterday evening!

Wow, that would be rough - poor kitty likes her nip, but might be allergic!

Going to give her some loose now, see if that makes her sneezy.

EDIT: Nope! Not a single sneeze!

catmom2wires

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sounds like she may just have a little cold. I wouldn't worry about it unless she gets snotty/runny eyes, coughing, etc. I remember last year my Ziggy got a "little cold" out of nowhere and the others were fine. He was fine, too in a matter of days.

Good luck!

C

darkmavis

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think Genever might have allergies too because she gets sneezing fits now and then. Just about a week ago, especially on Monday and Tuesday, both she and I were sneezing all day long! I gave her 1/2 pill of people chlor-trimeton (OK'd by my vet), twice a day, but it didn't do much. A while back she was sneezing a bunch and the allergy med did help that time. Anyway, she is not sneezing anymore, and was never snotty or anything.

I hope your girl stops sneezing soon too!! It's so sad to see them sneeze a bunch of times in a row!

ummm

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
After we took Tallulah home from the rescue, she was fine the first couple of days, then started sneezing a bit, and then sneezing bad like 10 times in a roll and I felt so bad for her! Wrote to the rescue, and they said she had a cold but got better at the rescue, with the move/stress, the cold probably flared up again... she got better after some antibiotics and hasn't sneezed like that since. The whole time, she never lost any appetite so I didn't think she was sick! Looking back, now think she was tired and wasn't very active, but since I didn't know her, I thought she just wasn't an active cat... she's definitely more active now.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, Squeaky is full of beans and there is absolutely no sign of illness whatsoever, so I am positive that it isn't any kind of upper respiratory infection.

I haven't heard her sneeze this entire day, so who knows, I guess!