I Think She Gave Birth Outside But I'm Not Sure!

Jasper-Adela

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I think my pregnant cat, Adela, might have gave birth outside last night. We were keeping her inside so she could give birth safely, but she was out last night and was gone ALL night! She usually comes back with in a hour or so but she was gone all night and looks ALOT thinner. Dose anyone know what to do? I'm not sure if she's still pregnant or not, this is her first litter and she'll be two this year.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
She either dropped, which makes she looks smaller, or she DID gave birth outside. If the second, you have A Situation.
Hopefully you can trace her back, or find the babies in some other way. Otherwise, you must let her be your outside kitty...

To complicate things, its fully possible she lost her litter, either all stillborne or taken by some predator... In that case you wont know what is played...

This is the main reason we never let high pregs outside, but its done now and you must find some way to copy.

Try perhaps to let her out, talking sweetly, and hope she will lead you to her babies. If you find them, you collect them of course, take home, etc..

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
This is of course hurry, babies cant be very long without momma. Even if healthy babies do survive several hours alone.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
ps. You can of course try to feel if she has the babies still inside. Not easy if she has dropped, the babies are squeezed and barely movable. You must probably have help from someone knowleable. Some neigbour experienced with preG cats or dogs? A vet nearby??

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jasper-Adela

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ah! Thank you, this is my first time dealing with a pregnant cat in awhile, and i believe they mat have just droped, witch is a relief. She is doing alright and ate alot when she came in, is that normal?

And yes! I do have help with me, my grandmother, actually. She's had pregnant cats before, and has been a huge help.

Although I'm still worried, Adela is so important to me, i don't know what i would do without her. And when i found out she could be pregnant i was so excited! Most of the time I can barely contain myself from talking about it constantly, what they'll look like, act like, how many they'll be. Thank you again for your help!

Will she want to go back outside if she did give birth? When i noticed she was thinner i tryed to let her back out in after she ate but she didn't go.

Jasper-Adela

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Also, if she did give birth, any tips on how to find the kittens? I would like to find them and get them inside as soon as possible, i know for a fact that there are male cats around were i live, and hate the thought of the kits being killed.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
First, you and grandma try to feel after, if the kittens are still inside her. If so, they are further down compared to before, and barely moveable.
If they are there, keep momma inside at all costs!
I hope she has simply dropped, especielly as she didnt wanted to go outside.
But if you think she has delivered outside, you are in great hurry now to find them.

OK, lets presume she has just dropped. Dont let her outside! After delivery, cats arent protected by nursing (humans are, not 100% but somewhat). And she can get into a new heat already one week after the delivery. If in heat, she will want to go out. Dont let her!
She does have an inside litter for doing her business? If not, make do, immediately...
Also, if she did give birth, any tips on how to find the kittens? I would like to find them and get them inside as soon as possible, i know for a fact that there are male cats around were i live, and hate the thought of the kits being killed.

Jasper-Adela

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I think she just droped! I was rubbing her stomach (She really likes that for some reason, even before she got pregnant. I heard it's a turst thing, she dosen't let anyone beside me do it) and felt small movement! She has a litter box, she's a indoor cat but gose out if she wants.

Her stomach is lower to the ground she looks bigger from one side, I've been told thats signs she's droped?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Hurray! You can switch off the blinking Red Alert lights off. Just normal watch routine. And close off the door with double locks. :)

You dont want to be in the same sweaty guesswork again.

Jasper-Adela

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yeah! Thanks for the help! She is definitely under house arrest until shes had her kittens and can be neutered! Although I love the fact that she's going to have kits, I think it will be her only litter.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah! Thanks for the help! She is definitely under house arrest until shes had her kittens and can be neutered! Although I love the fact that she's going to have kits, I think it will be her only litter.
Spaying mom is the best thing you can do for her health! Good idea!

Jasper-Adela

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yeah, i really wasn't even sure about leting her have a litter. If i did I wanted to whit until she was two years old but she escaped durning her heat multiple times and it was unavoidable. I plan to get her neutered after she weans her kits and then the kits when their ready. Is that a good idea?

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, i really wasn't even sure about leting her have a litter. If i did I wanted to whit until she was two years old but she escaped durning her heat multiple times and it was unavoidable. I plan to get her neutered after she weans her kits and then the kits when their ready. Is that a good idea?
Yes, cats are known to be escape artists when they are in heat. Mom can be spayed 2 months after delivery, and kittens can be done when they are two months or two pounds. It’s great that you can stop this cycle.

Jasper-Adela

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Okay, good to know! Thank you! I hope i can stop it, i know kittens can go into heat when their 4 months old and its dangerous for both the mom and kits if she gets pregnant.

Also, Is it normal for her to meow alot? She usually quite but sinces she got pregnant she moews alot more. And for them to be really affectionate? My grandma said that most of the time for her they were quite and just wanted to be left alone so I'm looking for more opinions.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you need help finding a low cost spay/neuter clinic in your area?

Jasper-Adela

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
No, i know of one in town that dosen't cost much and is only 20 minutes away. I'm going to take them there when their ready.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Pregnant cats are very affectionate and may meow more than usual.

Jasper-Adela

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey! I'm back and need help onces again! Adela is drooling and i don't know what to do! Shes never done this before and it's odd. She looks like shes chewing on something but i don't know what, we don't have the money to take her to the vet so i came to see if you could help.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She needs to see a vet. It sounds like she has an infection or something bothering her in her mouth. She must be in a lot of pain. Ask the vet to work with you on a payment plan.

Jasper-Adela

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm back, shes fine now! I watched her for a bit and decided to look at her mouth, nothing was out of place so i let her go, a couple seconds later she coughed up some food. I think she ate to fast and ended up haveing to cough it up.