I think my new cat has social issues

rampalicious87

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello all.

I just adopted a gorgeous one-year old female Himalayan Cat one week ago. I understand that cats tend to be stressed when introduced into a new environment. Her previous owner told us that Princess (her name) is a shy one, who hid under beds for a long time. When she was brought home, all she does are hiding under stools, her favourite hideouts, sleep during the day, eat and that's it. However, she loves brushing. She doesn't love to play with toys too. When introduced strings, crushed paper, etc, she would just look and then turn away. Any advices on this? Is she a natural shy cat or just timid as she was just introduced into a new environment? I hope she becomes active like other cats.

Thank you!

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aw, it sounds like she just needs time. If she's in the clear health-wise from your vet, then it's a matter of her getting used to a brand new different world (pretty traumatic). Keep talking to her, don't pursue her, and eventually she will start warming up to you and coming out of hiding.

Even if she is a shy cat, she will not be that way around you once she gets to know and love you. Some Feliway might help introduce her to your new environment.

We adopted Lily 4.5 years ago, and she only recently became a lap-kitty, we were all surprised (I think Lily was, too), who knew?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rampalicious87

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for the reply SwampWitch. I've read alot of articles on introducing new cats to new homes and it makes me understand that cats may take from weeks to months to get used to her/his new environment. It may take a longer time for Princess as I have a 3 year old niece at home who gets super excited when she sees Princess. I'll try Feliway soon. I'm bringing her to the vet soon too to get her medically checked-up. Once she's cleared, I might be getting her sterilised.

rafm

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I don't understand the 'might get her sterilised' comment, why wouldn't you get her spayed?

If she's shy it may just take a little time for her to come around. Be patient.

rampalicious87

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
One unusual thing that happened was that during the morning on her 2nd day in our home, I was preparing to leave my house as I have to book-in to my camp (I'm an Army personnel), Princess responded to my calling of her name, followed me around and even rub herself on me. After a week not home (have to stay in camp for a week, only books-out on Fridays), she reverted to her oldself again, not responding to my calls, being shy. Weird.

She is not spayed yet. As I'm living in Singapore, it's important for me to get Princess sterilised or spayed as to control the breeding of unwanted kittens in Singapore. Thus, it's important for any catowners to spay their cats. I have discussed with my family members that we will spay her once she's cleared from the medical check-up.

Regarding her behavior, she spends most of her time hiding my Dad's bed. Usually every morning I would pull her out from the bed.

Thanks for the advices.

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It sounds like a lot of her jitters, moodiness, and fear are most likely increased at this point simply because at her age she is experiencing extreme hormonal changes. Once she is spayed, although it could take a few months for her body to adjust, her behavior will balance out.

rampalicious87

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
But I was told by her previous owner that she has been like that since she was a kitten. Well, I hope that by spaying her, her behaviour will change.

rarepuss

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Her previous owner told you she's shy, so why do you think she'll be ready to play with you and the 3 year old?

I brought home 2 siblings, a boy and a girl. boy is outgoing "ready to do anything" cat and girl is the shy one. It's only been 4 months since they came home (they're still young, 8 months old pair). Truthfully, some cats are just shy, some are active.

Remember, Girls are more reserved than boys, on average.

rampalicious87

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi RarePuss,

Thanks for the advice. We'll see any progression from Princess. I'll update you all here. It will be her 2 weeks with me this Saturday.