I think my kitty is bored :(

sparklexo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I used to work from home full time, and this allowed me to spend a LOT of time with Captain Cuddles. Unfortunately for her, I went back to school this year so now I'm gone 2 days a week for about 12 hours straight. Next year, I'll also be taking a new (not from home) job so I'll be gone every day 8-5. So far, she is NOT happy about my 2 days on campus. I feed her (wet) in the morning before I go, leave her some kibble when I'm gone, and feed her wet again when I get back. I leave her toys and she has plenty of places to climb, explore etc in the condo. I leave my closet door open so she can go in and hang out in the shelves (she likes to nap in there sometimes) and I leave one of my bedroom blinds up so she can look out from either the window sill or the bed (I can't leave anymore blinds up though because it's very, very hot and the sun shines directly at my apartment all day long). I leave the a/c on for her, fresh water, even some treats hidden around the place that she can find. She also has her cardboard scratcher and her favorite blanket to snuggle with. But she's a very needy and vocal cat, and she gets upset if I leave her. I've considered getting her a friend, but right now on a student budget, another cat just isn't feasible.. Plus my landlord doesn't even know about the first cat lol.. plus I don't really want another one. I guess I'm just wondering if she'll be ok with me gone for so long? It's only 2 days a week but she throws a fit when I come home and demands attention (I always cuddle/play with her when I get in, even though I'm tired and ready to keel over). Luckily she's not destructive when I'm gone, but I think she's sad. When I am home the other days, she just follows me from room to room and sleeps all day long as per usual. Is this normal for kitties who miss their owner, and is there anything else I can do to make her feel better while I'm away?

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
It's lovely that you care so much about your little companion. You have really thought about her welfare and keeping herself entertained.

Of course another cat is the thing we think of but you have very wisely thought that one through and realised it's just not on in your situation.

When you start doing the full time work I'd consider a Feliway diffuser.  They're not cheap but may settle her.  And lots of quality time when you are home. 

BTW, is this the little kitty from your first thread on this site?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sparklexo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It's lovely that you care so much about your little companion. You have really thought about her welfare and keeping herself entertained.

Of course another cat is the thing we think of but you have very wisely thought that one through and realised it's just not on in your situation.

When you start doing the full time work I'd consider a Feliway diffuser.  They're not cheap but may settle her.  And lots of quality time when you are home. 

BTW, is this the little kitty from your first thread on this site?
Ooh I didn't even think of the Feliway! I'll try that! I have a feeling she's probably fine when I'm gone, and just kicks up a fuss when I get home.. almost like "you left me here all day!".. even though all day she was probably just sleeping as usual haha. And yes, same kitty :) She's doing REALLY well, completely different cat! Very friendly, social, vocal and doesn't hide all day or run away from noises anymore. So much healthier. She's also never peed on anything since lol.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
Ooh I didn't even think of the Feliway! I'll try that! I have a feeling she's probably fine when I'm gone, and just kicks up a fuss when I get home.. almost like "you left me here all day!".. even though all day she was probably just sleeping as usual haha. And yes, same kitty :) She's doing REALLY well, completely different cat! Very friendly, social, vocal and doesn't hide all day or run away from noises anymore. So much healthier. She's also never peed on anything since lol.
I'm so glad.  You know, if she wasn't happy or was still stressed in anyway she wouldn't seem so well-adjusted!

Good on you for giving this little girl such a loving home.

hannhasweet

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Felliway looks great! My Hannah loves the window and watch the people outside for hours. Maybe you should start finding out more things and stuffs that catch your kitties interest.