I think my kitten is overweight. Tips for maintaining healthy weight?

Kayseymac

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My kitten almost 7 months old. She isn’t spayed yet but she’s getting spayed in two weeks. Right now I’m free feeding her dry food and I give her half a can of wet kitten food at night. I have a 4 year old cat and he and the kitten eat the same purina one dry food.

I’ve done timed feeding before with them but I gave up on it. The times I’m home are really inconsistent and I never could figure out correct portions to give them.

I’m wondering what I can do to help my kitten maintain a healthy weight. I was thinking about putting up the dry food in the afternoon or maybe overnight? So they at least have a portion of every day when they don’t mindlessly much? I used to give her a full can of wet food a day but I just started giving her half a can. Not sure if that will help or not?

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
7 month old kittens are still eating machines and growing so don't worry about food :)

Around a year old you can start feeding by calorie. The older cat could benefit from this, too. Feed 20 to 25 calories per pound of body weight daily. Every cat's calorie need is different so adjust for your cats. Dry foods are super calorie dense so ideally feed less (or none) of it and more canned food. You can feed a food labeled as "for all life stages" to both cats until the kitten reaches a year old.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
LOL, well, I got here all excited to find something I was confident in helping with, and LTS3 LTS3 beat me to it! Yes, everything that was said above!