I Think My Kitten Is An African Wildcat

capke

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I found this kitten in a dumpster on a mountain yesterday, he was crying so loud and desperately, so I took him in. At first I thought he was a normal cat, but after some careful observation and searches I think he might be an African wildcat. Here are some pictures of him, can someone give their opinion on what he might be? Or is he just a normal cat?

Attachments

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

capke

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My other kitten, who is a domestic shorthair, is a little curious about him and tries to bite him a little every now and then. The new kitty is basically ignoring him.

capke

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Here is another picture of him, this time of his full body. I don’t think he’s a DSH, because he looks very different. He has a little brownish red fur behind his ears, just like African wildcat. However, I don’t live in Africa. I don’t think think he’s a pure one if he is one, but he should at least be part African wildcat.

Attachments

Neo_23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Here is another picture of him, this time of his full body. I don’t think he’s a DSH, because he looks very different. He has a little brownish red fur behind his ears, just like African wildcat. However, I don’t live in Africa. I don’t think think he’s a pure one if he is one, but he should at least be part African wildcat.
Many domestic shorthair cats resemble the North African Wildcat because they are descended from it and I believe that modern day house cats share common genes with the North African Wildcat as well. So, technically, domestic short hairs all have some African wildcat ancestry and all are part African wildcat in a sense. It's easy to see the resemblance, but I think it's unlikely that your kitty is a pure bred or had an African wildcat in its recent ancestry.

North African Wild Cat:

Domestic tabby:
Cat_November_2010-1a.jpg

They look very similar because the Wild Cat is the domestic tabby's ancestor. But the domestic tabby is unlikely to have a purebred African wildcat in its recent ancestry.

capke

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Or America, there's a lot of nutters who think wild animals should be pets.
Woah there, no need to be hostile. I never said I was going to keep him if he was an African wildcat.

Neo_23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
By the way, just because your kitty is labelled as domestic short hair doesn't make him any less special. All domestic short hairs are a mix of different breeds and have interesting ancestries. And your kitty is gorgeous regardless of its ancestry!

capke

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Many domestic shorthair cats resemble the North African Wildcat because they are descended from it and I believe that modern day house cats share common genes with the North African Wildcat as well. So, technically, domestic short hairs all have some African wildcat ancestry and all are part African wildcat in a sense. It's easy to see the resemblance, but I think it's unlikely that your kitty is a pure bred or had an African wildcat in its recent ancestry.

North African Wild Cat:

Domestic tabby:
View attachment 214871

They look very similar because the Wild Cat is the domestic tabby's ancestor. But the domestic tabby is unlikely to have a purebred African wildcat in its recent ancestry.
Thanks for the reply! I have thought about that. I was just curious, because he looked so similar to one.

kate187

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Woah there, no need to be hostile. I never said I was going to keep him if he was an African wildcat.
Hi, sorry I didn't mean it that way. Just referring to the people you read about with lions/tigers and such. Sometimes they breed them, abandon them, etc. No offence meant.

Neo_23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the reply! I have thought about that. I was just curious, because he looked so similar to one.
For sure, it's really remarkable how domestic tabbies still sharply resemble the African wildcat. They have even kept a lot of its behaviours and traits and I remember even reading once that African wildcats can be bred with domestic short hairs. But, I think it would be quit rare to find an African wildcat outside of North Africa or maybe Eurasia, especially not a stray kitten.

capke

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
By the way, just because your kitty is labelled as domestic short hair doesn't make him any less special. All domestic short hairs are a mix of different breeds and have interesting ancestries. And your kitty is gorgeous regardless of its ancestry!
I know :) I love both of my cats. I was just very curious about it, haha.

Neo_23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
By the way, good on you for rescuing the poor little boy! I assume you are planning on taking him in for a vet check-up and making sure he's up to date on all de-worming and shots? Do you have an idea of roughly how old he might be? He is very lucky to have you.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Neo23 has put is all very nicely, just to agree.

And btw, he is a kitten, and you helped it by taking it home, giving it a home.

Do NOT abandon him if you by any chance decide he is an African Wildcat after all. Without a momma to teach him manners and hunt abilities, his distiny if abandoned anew will be very dark.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
All that said, its probably not uncommon, in Africa there happens people adopt lost kittens or wounded African Cats, and raise them up as homecats...

Its part of the beauty of this. This is fully possible with AWC the Lybica, but difficult with the European Wildcat.

basscat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
capke capke
A "wild" African Wildcat kitten will always be "wild". UNLESS he's been around people since BEFORE he was old enough for his eyes to focus.
If he was able to focus before being around people, he's "wild", always will be, and won't make a good house pet.
(this time is about 2 to 3 weeks old). They have to be around people before 3 weeks for sure.
If he can see fine, and is getting along fine with you...like what one expects of a kitten? Then he's probably not an African Wildcat. AND, probably not a feral house cat either. (means he's been around people from birth and probably dumped or something like that).
For some reason I can't see your pics. Not that I would be of any help in a decision based on looks.
But, the above info will give you something to go by.

UPDATE: I can now see the pics. Best guess would be not an African Wildcat.
He's for sure not wild. A wild one would that age would rip you to shreds. You couldn't, wouldn't hold it like that. You just can't imagine the fury that a "wild" Wildcat that size could and would bestow on a person that got too close.
A tame African Wildcat kitten? Highly unlikely because one that's been around people since birth would be under lock and key, so to speak. (Anybody with a tame kitten wouldn't be so careless as to let one get away).

He sure is a cute little feller!! :heartshape:

Last edited: