I Think My Kitten Is A Bobcat.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Floridabobcat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
How long is his tail? From the first pic I thought he was bobtailed but in these new pics the tail looks normal length.
It's because he moves a lot LOL his tail is short, but long, I can't really explain it, like he has a tail it's just shorter than a regular tail.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, domestic kittens have little stubby "carrot" tails before they turn 6 weeks old. There were old wives' tales that a kitten's tail was curled up inside and "unfurled" as they got older, of course we know it's just the way they develop. So that might be what you're seeing with "long but not long". I think it'll be a lot easier to tell in a couple weeks, but my money's on him being a domestic.

basscat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much for the information I will definitely look into that, I have 10 acres so I can always build something for him if I do end up getting the license. If he even turns out to be a bobcat lol.
I don't think it's bobcat. BUT, good chance it may have some wild something mixed in there. (Bengal maybe). If so, it may still be a crazy child.
That's good to know. I'm glad they can be good pets.
Tonight, I'll get licked, slobbered, head butted, and just in general...all around wallowed all over, loved, and purred upon...and then he'll be sound asleep in my lap or on my face.
Tomorrow morning I'll get tigger pounced on, tackled, and basically just be a big mauled toy. OUCH

Alejandra Rico

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
So, any updates on this baby development? I would love yo ser more pictures of him, ir a video, if pictures are still too difficult to get.

lorie d.

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was hoping I would get to the end of the thread and find out whether or not your kitten is a bobcat. I hope he isn't because he's so cute...but...do you have an update for us?????

basscat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No one. Am say your biiig voy isn't cute basscat basscat but probably that things would be easier if the kitten is just... well, a kitten of any domestic cat breed.
I am in love with your baby, though.
Just messin' with ya'. I know what you mean. :lol:
Yeah, there is a "learning curve" with a bobcat. As is probably most any cat considered exotic. Little more so for me I think since almost all of his time with us is supervised time.

Alejandra Rico

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Just messin' with ya'. I know what you mean. :lol:
Yeah, there is a "learning curve" with a bobcat. As is probably most any cat considered exotic. Little more so for me I think since almost all of his time with us is supervised time.
If I ever manage to add an ALC or an F1 bengal to my breeding program, I will remember your wise words, no doubt :lol:

basscat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If I ever manage to add an ALC or an F1 bengal to my breeding program, I will remember your wise words, no doubt :lol:
The best way I know to describe the difference between our bob and our housecat..
The housecat is like living on the beach.
The bob is like going to the beach on vacation.

Antarcticat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Anyone think he could be a pixiebob? As I understand it they aren't particularly widely bred but one of my buddies has an 18 lb one that I would SWEAR is a wild bobcat if he wasn't the laziest cat alive :lol:

In any case, I hope he isn't a bobcat. There's a YouTube channel called "Benji the Bobcat" where the titular Bobcat's owner posted videos of the friendliest, most well socialized pet you'd ever see. He had all the proper permits but when the laws changed a few years ago, the state ultimately gave Benji's owner one of two choices: to have him relocated to a wildlife rescue, or have him put down. He was resettled in a wildlife rescue that tried to accommodate him as best as they could but just couldn't match the quality of care his family did, and he eventually died a few years after being relocated. It was a really, really sad story to follow. Makes me grateful that my own hybrid cat isn't regulated wildlife and makes me sorry for anyone who does succeed in providing regulated wildlife a good home, whose pets can be taken away from them if the laws ever change :headshake:

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
How long is his tail now? Short tails occur naturally in domestic cats, it is sometimes a sign of inbreeding. If the kitten came from a feral colony or if someone was a bit irresponsible about getting all their cats fixed he could have got his short tail that way.

I care for a lot of cats that came from a feral colony, quite a few of them have short tails.

He's a lovely kitten, however he got his looks.

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Anyone think he could be a pixiebob? As I understand it they aren't particularly widely bred but one of my buddies has an 18 lb one that I would SWEAR is a wild bobcat if he wasn't the laziest cat alive :lol:

In any case, I hope he isn't a bobcat. There's a YouTube channel called "Benji the Bobcat" where the titular Bobcat's owner posted videos of the friendliest, most well socialized pet you'd ever see. He had all the proper permits but when the laws changed a few years ago, the state ultimately gave Benji's owner one of two choices: to have him relocated to a wildlife rescue, or have him put down. He was resettled in a wildlife rescue that tried to accommodate him as best as they could but just couldn't match the quality of care his family did, and he eventually died a few years after being relocated. It was a really, really sad story to follow. Makes me grateful that my own hybrid cat isn't regulated wildlife and makes me sorry for anyone who does succeed in providing regulated wildlife a good home, whose pets can be taken away from them if the laws ever change :headshake:
You bring up a good point- but I'd say not a Pixie Bob. They have lighter, more chestnutty brown fur.

Billie j

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well they cat breed with house cats my dad had one and didn’t know it had different mannerisms that a house cat he did have a long tail did see one of his siblings looked the same but had a short tail. Was loving and showed it by sitting in your lap but ud best not pet it or he’d bite you. He also had a constant smile look to his face the lips were tight not droopy like a house cat. Always told dad he was always smiling. But short tails is not the only sign because I’m holding a 3 day old and again has long tail. It has huge front feet and extended claws that he can move but massively large front paws for such a tiny 3 day old kitten. But the remark that say scientists have not proven they can breed with housecats , they are wrong. My dads house bobcat mix, pixibob was found on his 65 acres near Yosemite. My kitten is from calico cat on a back 40 in ms and no entire males. But bobcats are prolific and was my cats first heat . Did not get her to vet in time for spaying. Only time will tell when she brings the rest of litter she has hidden if any have the short tails. This one was found where she originally birthed them then moved them and in confusion left this one behind where he was found crying and cold and so I rescued him til hopefully can find the litter to rejoin him to the group and momma

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Short tailed kittens are common among domestic cats B Billie j It doesn't mean the cat has any bobcat genes. It's a short tailed mutation that can occur among domestic cats that are allowed to interbreed with each other indiscriminately. It's seen quite a lot among feral cat populations all over the world, even in Asia where there are no American bobcats.

I think there have been a lot of studies done in an attempt to find a domestic cat that has descended from a bobcat, but there has been no evidence to suggest this actually happens.

:)