I think my cat(s) are scared of my automatic litter box.

driven

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I just got this automatic litter box and it was really helping out a lot since we now have 4 cats. We have one automatic one and just one regular box for now, until we can get another automatic box. Problem is, I know atleast one of the cats seems scared to death of it so far. The box started cleaning itself today when our one cat Tinky was right by it. Tinky seemed so scared so I reached down to pick him up and he tried jumping out of my arms. When I tried to put him in it to show it was ok he ran out of it and ran away. Is there any way to break them of this? I'm afraid they will all just use the old regular box instead of the auto one because they're afraid of it. If I get another automatic one and take the regular box away, do you think they would adjust and start to use the automatic ones since they are the only litter boxes there?

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by DRIVEN

I just got this automatic litter box and it was really helping out a lot since we now have 4 cats. We have one automatic one and just one regular box for now, until we can get another automatic box. Problem is, I know atleast one of the cats seems scared to death of it so far. The box started cleaning itself today when our one cat Tinky was right by it. Tinky seemed so scared so I reached down to pick him up and he tried jumping out of my arms. When I tried to put him in it to show it was ok he ran out of it and ran away. Is there any way to break them of this? I'm afraid they will all just use the old regular box instead of the auto one because they're afraid of it. If I get another automatic one and take the regular box away, do you think they would adjust and start to use the automatic ones since they are the only litter boxes there?
they will get used to it - but i would leave the regular box until everyone is using the automated one. mine used to come running whenever it started the cycle & sit & watch it, then use the box again right away. my younger 2 have never had anything else - didn't take either of them more than a week to get used to the noise.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

driven

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by laureen227

they will get used to it - but i would leave the regular box until everyone is using the automated one. mine used to come running whenever it started the cycle & sit & watch it, then use the box again right away. my younger 2 have never had anything else - didn't take either of them more than a week to get used to the noise.
I hope so!

I was just worried that if I got 2 automatic boxes and didn't have any regular boxes that they wouldn't use either one.

larke

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Whatever you do, don't try to put him in it, as the loss of control (you're 'putting' him) will scare him a lot more than if he just gradually gets used to it on his own by watching the other cats use it, or being curious hearing the noise, etc.

abigail

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Latitude: 45° 31' North Longitude: 122° 39' We
I had to turn mine off as it scared my kitten too. I am going to try again when she is a little older. In the meanwhile I am using the plain old box with worlds best cat litter and everything is terrific. One problem I had was that it scooped so soon after use that on occasion feces would stick to the rake, that made things worse than the old box because at least it was buried and had time to dry up before being scooped.