I think my cat might have FHV. Help

cass

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ive mentioned Bells crying eyes to the vet..they did not seem worried. She cries tears when she is stressed or made jump...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cass

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
[ATTACHMENT=636][ATTACHMENT=637]20140708_213057.jpg (3,209k. jpg file)[/ATTACHMENT][/ATTACHMENT]
not great pics but this is what she looks like when she cries..maybe ill ask for her to be tested.
She tested pos to fiv on the in house test and neg to the lab test but is due for her 2nd lab test so i might ask them again about it.

cass

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Im always at my vets so i dont think they always take me serious... any little scare or question and im on the phone.

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
Hi Cass.  Can I check with you, when you recently posted in another thread the discussion was about feline herpes virus, but then the posts got a little confused between Feline Herpes Virus FHV, and Feline Immunodeficiency Virus FIV.    Just want to make sure that in your question about your cat's eyes watering being a symptom of the virus  - that it was the herpes virus you were referring to?   (I am not aware of watering eyes being a symptom of FIV).

Looking at your questions about the crying eyes your cat has been showing I would say this is one of the common signs of FHV.  I can just manage to see the tear on your cat's white fur and it does look rather like Mouse's when he as a flare up of his probably FHV without any secondary infection present.  It is also common for FHV to show when a cat is stressed, and Mouse's eyes will often start to water when he has been stressed for some reason.

I have had both anti viral medication and L Lysine for Mouse and found the results for Mouse were the same but -  the L Lysine is significantly cheeper and Mouse is happy to lick gel off my finger whereas he was less enthusiastic about the Famciclovir.

If your vet is reluctant to undertake further tests for the virus it is still worth talking with them about possibly giving your cat L Lysine.  If the watering eye is related to herpes virus is is likely you would see the eye dry after a week or two of twice daily L Lysine.

Last edited:

cass

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Bella has tested pos to fiv but reading the other post about watery eyes i wondered if that could have something to do with Bella.. she had her secondary test in the lab where she tested neg so vets day she was either too young to test gully pos or mum had it so she has antibodies or she had the jab against it which she did not. So in short..she either has fiv or the antibodies. She is due for her 2nd lab test to confirm whether she is a true pos or just has antibodies. They made me wait a year to retest.
Bella has a chest protrusion and watery eyes. I wonder if all her symptoms are from the same issue or different. I did not know cats could get herpes so i will ask vet to test her for herpes when i go get her bloods done for 2nd lab test for fiv. Might as well do both while im there. I pay vet bills for my 4 with me and my 2 at my mums so if i can save money i will.

I hope thats more clear.. :)