I think my cat may be pregnant

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
No, cats can go hours and even days between kittens. She’ll have the third kitten when her body is ready.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Bowling

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Don't mean to sound neurotic, but stellar left the nest and tried to get outside an hour ago. She then went to the normal cat bowl had some food and acted like she didn't want to go upstairs. My husband took her back up and she sat in the corner just looking at kitten and she has eventually settled, but a little worried as she was scratching and meowing at the closed bedroom door (closed to stop the others getting in, although they are not really interested). Is it okay for her to leave the kitten for a small period of time x

Bowling

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Baby weighed 4.3 ounces yesterday and today weighs 4.8 ounces, is that normal weight gain. Just making sure everything is okay 👍

Bowling

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cat only had one kitten yesterday. She is doing well but mum will often leave the nest. This morning when I woke up mum was sat on the carpet next to the nest. I am worried the baby is getting cold in the night as she doesn't have other kittens to snuggle. Is there anything I can do to help.

Bowling

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh great, I sound such a worrier, I'm worried about the kitten all the time!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
My cat only had one kitten yesterday. She is doing well but mum will often leave the nest. This morning when I woke up mum was sat on the carpet next to the nest. I am worried the baby is getting cold in the night as she doesn't have other kittens to snuggle. Is there anything I can do to help.
How warm is it in your place? Is it summer?

If its cold in your place, you could have some warming pad under the kittens blanket, in part of the place, so the kitten can crawl away if its too warm.

Momma is OK? I mean, if she has more kittens to come, it may be the reason she isnt very attendive.
But as long momma is OK, no visible troubles, its just to observe, but calmy wait and see if and when there comes more.

Bowling

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes it's summer here at the moment so quite warm, I did order a heat pad from amazon, but I guess she might not need it, or should I use it as you said and she will crawl away if too hot.

Bowling

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So stellar is still leaving the kitten for quite long periods. She often sits at the side of the nest just looking at her. It's almost like she's bored and seems a reluctant mum. She's been wandering in and out of rooms looking around. She wants to go outside, but I obviously don't let her. I am worried because I am back to work full time in a week and a half, what if she does not feed her 😪

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you have bottles at the ready? If you are unable to hand rear or assist with bottle feeding please contact a rescue for assistance.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
She will feed her, and you’ll know for sure if you weigh the kitten in grams each day at the same time. Use a digital kitchen scale.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
So stellar is still leaving the kitten for quite long periods. She often sits at the side of the nest just looking at her. It's almost like she's bored and seems a reluctant mum. She's been wandering in and out of rooms looking around. She wants to go outside, but I obviously don't let her. I am worried because I am back to work full time in a week and a half, what if she does not feed her 😪
All arent perfect dedicated mothers. Still its common those waderers rush back to her kitten when the kittens screams for food... So, it will prob be OK anyway... Also, in nature or being homeless, a momma must often leave the nest because she must find food and water for herself.
You will have better knowledge if you weight the kitten every day, as someone mentioned... If the kitten add 10+ every day, all is reasonably good.
If the kitten adds much less, you do worry.

Bowling

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks all. Stellar and kitten went to vet earlier today. Stellar had a reluctant ultrasound scan to check if any others kittens inside, but none. Kitten is the only one. The vet said she was quite big for 3 days old. Stellar has been very caring since we got back from the vets and has been with her most of the time and been quite attentive to kitten.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It sounds like you’ve nothing to worry about right now. Glad all is well!

Bowling

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks, it's been nerve wracking being a first time cat grandma! X

Bowling

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She is now 6.1 ounces! All that milk to herself x when I was weighing her Stellar jumped up on the worktop and grabbed her by the scruf, jumped down with her in her mouth and up the stairs to the nest. I think her instincts have now kicked in 🤩😍

Attachments

Last edited:

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
Are you handeling the kitten at all? It is important she gets used to human touch and smell while she is young or she may become anti social. It is also a good way to teach bite inhibition or soft mouth in two to six week olds. She needs to learn human hands are safe but delicate.

At this point simply cupping the kitten in your hands when mom has some alone time is a good start. Just coo and sing to the kitten like she is a human infant.

Once she gets older you will need to probably teach her to be soft mouthed since she is an only child.

Bowling

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes, we do pick her up, when Stellar is not looking! Pick her up to weigh her and for quick sneaky cuddles, she sometimes does little hisses, but not all the time.

Bowling

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Tiggy is now wriggling around a lot more, raising her head and eyes are half open. She is 9 days old now. Mum chatters and trills all night long!
20230627_215656.jpg