I Think My Cat Made A Friend

splenda

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I let my cat out in the backyard because she likes to chase after butterflies and lay in the garden. Today when I looked out the window, I saw a white cat. This is the 3rd time I've seen this cat. It was pretty dirty looking so it was either a stray or outdoor cat. They were laying together, and sometimes would get up and stalk the birds and such. When I opened the door, Splenda ran inside the house and the cat just sat on the porch looking at me, then ran off when I shut the door.

Is it just a friend? Is it okay to let her play with strange cats like this? She's almost 1 year old and full of energy so I'm kind of thankful she's getting some playtime, but I'm worried she will get into a fight or something.

She's updated on all of her shots, so I'm not too worried about her getting any diseases.

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Has she been spayed? Also, if your kitty likes to hang out in the garden, you might consider building a catio or leash training her. There are a lot of dangers for free roaming kitties (contracting FIV, FIP, FeLV, ringworm, getting hit by a car, getting into fights with other cats, (or dogs, foxes, wolves,), getting hit by a car, or even being poisoned or shot at). I would be concerned with your kitty's new friend that s/he could give her FIV or FIP (no vaccination against those), and, as I said before, that she could become pregnant (assuming this cat is male) if she hasn't been spayed.

Something I would reccommend, if you are open to it, is taking this cat to the vet to be scanned for a microchip to see if s/he belongs to anyone. If not, you can get him/her fixed and vaccinated before taking him/her into your home. If your kitty is active and needs a playmate, it seems as if she found one that she gets along with, so if you can do the above procedures, it would be a great thing for both your kitty and the cat you saw outside.

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is it okay to let her play with strange cats like this? She's almost 1 year old and full of energy so I'm kind of thankful she's getting some playtime, but I'm worried she will get into a fight or something.

She's updated on all of her shots, so I'm not too worried about her getting any diseases.

As Abyeb has noted already, there are no vaccinations available for Feline Infectious Peritonitis, Feline Immunodeficiency Virus, nor for the rather large number of viruses responsible for respiratory diseases, gastrointestinal diseases and cetera. Allowing an healthy cat to interact with any cat whose health you are not absolutely certain about places your cat at risk.

Additionally, the outdoors also exposes your cat to the possibility of a mosquito bite. Heartworm is transmitted by mosquitoes, and there's no preventative measure against Heartworm in cats as there is in dogs. If you do continue to allow her outdoors, please read this so that you've sufficient understanding to make a choice for her:

American Heartworm Society - Heartworm in Cats