I think my cat is pregnant I need help!!

Ashleigh vickerstaff

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Lately my cat has been eating a lot more then usual, very clingy towards my partner and I which she hasn’t been since we got our new kitten, her belly looks big and hangs abit low, her nipples are pinky colour and the tip is white. I can’t afford to go to the vet, I’m very worried as she is only a kitten herself. She’s only 6 months

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Has your 6-month-old been allowed around intact males? If so, she’s likely pregnant. It certainly sounds like she is, and if so, it’s unfortunate because she is too young to be a mom. You will have even more mouths to feed, and she’ll need spaying once her kittens wean. You’ll need to find homes for them as well. Please keep both your cats 100% indoors and away from intact males until they are fixed. Do you need help locating a low-cost spay/neuter clinic in your area? If so, please list your city and state and I’ll check.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
6 month olds have a hard time with pregnancy, their little bodies just aren't ready. She is past the time to have her spayed, which is usually done between 4 and 6 months. If she IS pregnant and you let her deliver, she will have to be closely monitored and a vet on call when she has them. It would be better to have her spayed now before you even know she is pregnant but make sure to tell the vet of your suspicions. I have had cats spayed while in heat, which she may be too, but the vet needs to know, it is a more delicate surgery because of swollen blood vessels. I feel for you, and for her, if it was me, I would have her spayed asap, I have had babies deliver babies and not all the stories ended well. I'll pray for you both.....

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ashleigh vickerstaff

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Has your 6-month-old been allowed around intact males? If so, she’s likely pregnant. It certainly sounds like she is, and if so, it’s unfortunate because she is too young to be a mom. You will have even more mouths to feed, and she’ll need spaying once her kittens wean. You’ll need to find homes for them as well. Please keep both your cats 100% indoors and away from intact males until they are fixed. Do you need help locating a low-cost spay/neuter clinic in your area? If so, please list your city and state and I’ll check.
Yes, we have 4 cats 3 girls one male he is t desexed but he’s mostly outside, we normally keep our two youngest cats inside but when we are outside they go out, we have looked into getting the male desexed we just haven’t gotten around to it yet... also my 6 month old cries a lot when she’s not around us or when we are outside. My youngest cat has also tried to get milk out of her nipples . But I don’t know if that’s cause the youngest was still drinking from a bottle when we got her.. thank you for your help

Last edited by a moderator:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Sure! Do try to get your male cat neutered as soon as you can. He is the likely father. Also, let us know if your kitten has kittens. If you could, post a picture and I may be able to tell better if she is pregnant.

British Girls

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi! If she is not spayed, has been in heat before, and has been around any toms, she is most likely pregnant. If you could take photos of her nipples, it would be easier to tell whether she is pregnant or not...When was the last time she went into heat? She is beautiful!

Ashleigh vickerstaff

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi! If she is not spayed, has been in heat before, and has been around any toms, she is most likely pregnant. If you could take photos of her nipples, it would be easier to tell whether she is pregnant or not...When was the last time she went into heat? She is beautiful!
I’m not sure if she has been in heat before, I don’t really know how to tell, her nipples are small but feel big, she has also been vomiting, eating a lot of grass I’ll try and get a photo she really fussy with her belly being touched

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, this is simple biology---if you have cats of opposite sexes who aren't de-sexed, they're going to reproduce, that's how life goes on. How old are the other females? They're probably pregnant too if they're over 5 months old.

Check with your local animal welfare office and they may be able to point you toward a low-cost option. Which country/area do you live in? Someone might know who you can contact.

Ashleigh vickerstaff

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My older cat is 2 years we recently got her as the person we got our 6month cat wanted to get rid of her mum but she mostly outside as well and she doesn’t like other cats... but I do have another question of anyone could help me I’m stressing out so my youngest cat has been pooping green stuff and not making it to her litter box and I’m very concerned as her eyes look really weird if you know anything please let me know

Attachments

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Your cat’s eyes look this way because your cat is sick. Just like us humans when we do not feel well or have the flu our eyes do not look right.

You’ll want to see a vet for fluids and medication. The sub-q fluids will hydrate your cat, and you’ll want to add probiotic powder to your cat’s food to help his stomach and colon. This is most likely a virus causing the green poop. Here is a link for a possible cause:

Intestinal Virus Due to Bacterial Overgrowth (Astrovirus) in Cats | PetMD

Let us know what the vet says, but your cat really needs vet treatment and proper meds.

Last edited:

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
My older cat is 2 years we recently got her as the person we got our 6month cat wanted to get rid of her mum but she mostly outside as well and she doesn’t like other cats... but I do have another question of anyone could help me I’m stressing out so my youngest cat has been pooping green stuff and not making it to her litter box and I’m very concerned as her eyes look really weird if you know anything please let me know

Her eyes look sick. Green stools could indicate diarrhea.

Ashleigh vickerstaff

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Your cat’s eyes look this way because your cat is sick. Just like us humans when we do not feel well or have the flu our eyes do not look right.

You’ll want to see a vet for fluids and medication. The sub-q fluids will hydrate your cat, and you’ll want to add probiotic powder to your cat’s food to help his stomach and colon. This is most likely a virus causing the green poop. Here is a link for a possible cause:

Intestinal Virus Due to Bacterial Overgrowth (Astrovirus) in Cats | PetMD

Let us know what the vet says, but your cat really needs vet treatment and proper meds.
Her poop has gone back to normal colour but her eyes are still like that I’ve been making sure she drinks lots of water and been keeping an eye on her.. I’ll definitely be taking her to the vet as soon as possible though

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Try to add the contents of a probiotic capsule to her wet food in the meantime if you can. It will help the flora in her tummy and intestines.

Ashleigh vickerstaff

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So I have had a suspicion that my cat is pregnant but I haven’t had the time to take her to the vet, but she’s been doing this weird thing with her back legs like she’s trying to lay down but her back legs are up like she’s still standing and there open wide, she’s also been meowing a lot more then usual

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
So I have had a suspicion that my cat is pregnant but I haven’t had the time to take her to the vet, but she’s been doing this weird thing with her back legs like she’s trying to lay down but her back legs are up like she’s still standing and there open wide, she’s also been meowing a lot more then usual
Im not sure if I understand what you tell. But this seems to be the typical behavior alike she is in heat.

You dont see any apparent pregnancy? Just this odd behavior? If so, its heat. She is prepared for a Tom.

If you REALLY want kittens, try to get an intact tom with her at these times.

If you dont want kittens, get a time with a vet for spaying. Just be sure the heat is over, because spaying when in heat is more difficult and somewhat more risky while in heat. The tissues are more bloodfilled.
No big problem for an experienced vet surgeon, but may be difficult for a less experienced vet.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
As she's only 6 months old I strongly recommend that you get her spayed rather than let her have kittens. If you have the space and funds to care for kittens please consider adopting from a shelter rather than letting your cat have a litter.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
I just want to reiterate what di and bob said. 6 months is way too young for the poor little girl.

6 month olds have a hard time with pregnancy, their little bodies just aren't ready. She is past the time to have her spayed, which is usually done between 4 and 6 months. If she IS pregnant and you let her deliver, she will have to be closely monitored and a vet on call when she has them. It would be better to have her spayed now before you even know she is pregnant but make sure to tell the vet of your suspicions. I have had cats spayed while in heat, which she may be too, but the vet needs to know, it is a more delicate surgery because of swollen blood vessels. I feel for you, and for her, if it was me, I would have her spayed asap, I have had babies deliver babies and not all the stories ended well. I'll pray for you both.....