I think my cat is constipated?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

runekeeper

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I think he was feeling icky this afternoon from the enema, but it still doesn't explain why he continues to be bloated. He's still eating and drinking (I did see him drink on his own a few times today since the syringe watering), though not as much as usual, methinks. He's also still laying down a lot more and won't actually curl up like he normally does - he'll just lay down on his belly. Besides that, I think he doesn't want me to pet him and he tends to want to walk away if I do, whereas normally he loves pets. Maybe he's angry about the enema, I have no idea.

He also seems like he might be in some pain. Not to the point where he won't move whatsoever, but I think that might be why he's laying down a lot more, doesn't make as much noise as usual, and doesn't want to be petted. Of course if my belly was swollen as much as his even from just gas, I'd probably be in pain too and not want anyone near me. Or maybe it's nausea. It's bloody hard to tell when a cat is in pain.

His behavior is kind of on-off. He was a bit more perky earlier, but now he's back to lying down and not wanting to be touched.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
None of this sounds like constipation. Gas will show up on an x ray and should have some give to it when you massage. Not all tumors show on x rays.

Hardness makes me think some kind of bad internal infection. I had an abdominal infection when I was young, my abdomen stuck out like a balloon and was hard as a rock.

I hope you've brought him back to the vet, so worrisome, I know. I'm very surprised blood work hasn't been done yet. Maybe try a different vet.

:vibes::vibes::vibes: Rolly :heart3:

Last edited:

runekeeper

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I did call the vet this morning, and asked about the possibility of bloat. She said that while it's uncommon in cats, if Rolly had bloat, he would be in much more distress. So I was advised to have an ultrasound done because while he seemed to have no masses in his abdominal cavity, there's no way to tell from the X-ray if he has a mass in his stomach (like the organ itself). Bloodwork was not mentioned or suggested at all, which is odd because despite their limited facility, the local clinic will do bloodwork.

I don't think he's in pain because he's not in that crouched-down position with a slightly arched back and ruffled fur. He seems more withdrawn - like I bring him upstairs and he goes and lays down on the floor in the basement. Or he'll move away if I pet him for too long. But the basement is okay because he has food, water, litter boxes and comfy places to lay down there. He lays down flat on the floor with paws either out in front of him or tucked under his chest. His head is usually up, but his tail wags to and fro like he's annoyed. He isn't hiding himself in places where I won't find him, but he seems to want to be isolated. I also don't know if he's managed to get any sleep since his bloated belly might make sleeping uncomfortable.

In any case, once I get transportation arranged, I'm hopefully going to get him to the out-of-town facility for the ultrasound and go from there. And just knowing how much I put my Caspurr through (which I heard about - my mother made sure I knew that thousands of dollars worth of testing for a doomed cat was "a disgusting sin"), I don't want to do anything invasive for him due to his age. If he can be treated with medication - short term or long term, or a minor procedure - then I'll do that for him. But I think something like invasive abdominal surgery would not be in his best interests and if there is a tumor, I will take him home and keep him comfortable and get some painkillers for him if he is, in fact, in pain.

runekeeper

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If the weather is okay, Rolly will be going for his ultrasound tomorrow. Friday was the earliest I could get him in, and unfortunately I'm seeing a forecast full of snow. The person driving me - the only one who is willing to go - says they won't if the snow is heavy. Great time for a snowstorm. I'm also noticing something about Rolly - I wonder if he has pain or weakness in his legs. I got him to play a little earlier today, and while he was using his mouth a lot to catch his toy, he wasn't using his paws to bat at it much. I wonder if he has something going on with his legs and that's why he doesn't want to walk or stand much. Just food for thought. Here's hoping Rolly can go tomorrow, or at least very soon if he can't.

finnlacey

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
you must live here in the northeast like I do. It's not supposed to get really bad until after 5 pm.

runekeeper

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yep, I live in PA and have to go to NY for this visit, but I see conflicting weather info in every source I check. One source says 5-8 inches Friday afternoon due to this winter storm, while others say only a 40% chance of snow. I hate to be a pessimist, but after doing considerable research on my own, I'm starting to think maybe Rolly has some kind of stomach cancer. The bloating, the avoidance behavior, the lack of appetite, the lethargy...all signs of a tumor. I'm not going to blow off the ultrasound or anything, but that's what his symptoms seem to match. I don't know if his stomach (organ) would look different on an X-ray or not if he has a mass growing inside it (vet said his organs all look normal, but that an X-ray wouldn't catch a mass). Perhaps my Caspurr misses her brother on the Bridge and is calling him to join her early. I realize I'm jumping to conclusions, but I want to prepare for what I imagine will be the worst.