I think my cat is allergic to litter

Mini8

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
About 3 months ago I discovered grass litter (Frisco brand from Chewy) and absolutely loved it due to the no dust and great clumping. My two kittens ( 7 months old) took to it immediately too. I’ve noticed that one of my kittens started to develop itchy scabs. It never got too bad so I just monitored him. They started around his neck and then those went away within 2 weeks. Then they would reappear on different parts of his body like his back his right leg then under his armpit. Again, they don’t seem to bother him too much because I rarely see him scratching so I have been trying to figure out the cause of the irritation and get it under control before it gets worse.

My vet has told me that food allergies are highly unlikely in kittens because they have not been exposed to the food long enough to develop an allergy so I have been assuming it must be something else. Plus the food has been consistent. Since I just switched this litter a few weeks before I noticed the first scabs I am guessing he’s sensitive to the grass litter. It should also be noted that this cat likes to sometimes play in the litter so he would literally get his whole body in it sometimes! I just switched them back to the old litter I was using (world best made with corn) to see if it makes a difference and if he improves..so now back to dusty paws everywhere!

Has anyone else had experiences of their cat getting allergic skin issues due to the litter? Specifically grass litter? How long do you think it will take to tell if it was the litter? I’m guessing at least 1.5 months. Any advice is appreciated!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Please try changing the litter now so that he's not exposed to the grass litter any longer. There are a lot of other options including ground walnut that can be mixed with clay so that clumping still occurs but the dustiness is cut dramatically.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mini8

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Please try changing the litter now so that he's not exposed to the grass litter any longer. There are a lot of other options including ground walnut that can be mixed with clay so that clumping still occurs but the dustiness is cut dramatically.
Thanks for the tip. The litter has been changed today so I’ll see how it goes.

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
I had a cat who developed allergies shortly after I switched her to the wheat litter. Changing the litter back helped some but she was still scratching herself bloody. My first thought was food allergies, specifically to wheat. I won't even tell you how many different foods I tried.

I finally got her tested for allergies. It turned out she was allergic to most trees, shrubs, and grasses. She was also highly allergic to a kind of mite that probably came in the litter and stayed in the carpet after I got rid of litter. (No food allergies).

Her itching and scratching didn't really clear up until I moved into a house with all tile floors, no carpet. Sadly, she never did regain her previous condition so I couldn't show her any more.

Mini8

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I had a cat who developed allergies shortly after I switched her to the wheat litter. Changing the litter back helped some but she was still scratching herself bloody. My first thought was food allergies, specifically to wheat. I won't even tell you how many different foods I tried.

I finally got her tested for allergies. It turned out she was allergic to most trees, shrubs, and grasses. She was also highly allergic to a kind of mite that probably came in the litter and stayed in the carpet after I got rid of litter. (No food allergies).

Her itching and scratching didn't really clear up until I moved into a house with all tile floors, no carpet. Sadly, she never did regain her previous condition so I couldn't show her any more.
Wow. That sounds tough for you and your kitty. It’s amazing that some cats are so sensitive to certain allergies. Luckily we have all hardwood floors which I mop every week so hopefully we will se improvement soon. He’s being a bit picky about the new litter even though I mixed it with the grass to get him used to it. How long did it take for you to notice a difference in improvement?

Mini8

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
What do you use for the floor cleaner?
I use Murphys oil soap. I vacuum everything first then mop. I also wash all linens and bedding they have been on. It’s a chore but my husband is allergic to the kitties so it’s a must every week. We can’t imagine not having them so it’s worth it. ❤
B0C3D1F1-B983-4088-9C30-72378ECFC916.jpeg

ladytimedramon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My Delilah used to chew at her paws until they were pink under the white fur. I tried clay, wood, corn, and none of it worked. I finally switched to "crystal" litter (aka silica gel) and now the only paw chewing is when she's cleaning her toes and claws. I use the scoop free automatic box, and I can say that it's not cheap for refills, but her paws are fine and the box automatically scoops the litter. If I wanted I could get a reusable tray but for me I like the "cover and toss" convenience.

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
Wow. That sounds tough for you and your kitty. It’s amazing that some cats are so sensitive to certain allergies. Luckily we have all hardwood floors which I mop every week so hopefully we will se improvement soon. He’s being a bit picky about the new litter even though I mixed it with the grass to get him used to it. How long did it take for you to notice a difference in improvement?
I gave her a bath right after we moved and she stopped scratching immediately. I took quite a while for the sores to heal, but I could tell she was feeling a lot better.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I use Murphys oil soap. I vacuum everything first then mop. I also wash all linens and bedding they have been on. It’s a chore but my husband is allergic to the kitties so it’s a must every week. We can’t imagine not having them so it’s worth it. ❤
View attachment 435680
I wonder if the citrus in that could cause a reaction?

Allergies are usually not instant in cats so could be if the litter doesn't work out.

I think grass allergy is common enough in cats, as much as seasonal allergies.

Mini8

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Update: His scabs finally went away after switching his litter. It took about a month for them to completely heal and no signs of new scabs forming so it was definitely the grass litter.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Wonderful news! I'm so glad it was something you could fix easily for your cat.