I Think My Cat Hates Me

FozexD

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi guys so first of all i wanna start by saying i got my cat when he was 2 months old but the problem is He never sleeps in my room or sleep next to me he always stay in my sister room :( ,since the first day i got him i feed him everyday and change his water i pet him and cuddle him and all and most of the time he just bites my hands then licks a little bit but the thing is he never show me love i kinda got him cuz i wanted to get a pet that would like me back is that any normal ?

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
Hi FozexD FozexD and welcome to TCS!

It sounds like you're doing all the right things. When you pet him, are you gentle? Do you pet him when he resists? Cats will avoid you if you do things they're not in the mood for. Maybe you're trying too hard?
Do you play with him (not with your hands, but with cat toys)? That helps the bonding process.

Cats really do choose where they want to be, I'm afraid, and you can't make him like you. I really do understand that you want him to, though. Perhaps if you try what I've said. :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

FozexD

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi FozexD FozexD and welcome to TCS!

It sounds like you're doing all the right things. When you pet him, are you gentle? Do you pet him when he resists? Cats will avoid you if you do things they're not in the mood for. Maybe you're trying too hard?
Do you play with him (not with your hands, but with cat toys)? That helps the bonding process.

Cats really do choose where they want to be, I'm afraid, and you can't make him like you. I really do understand that you want him to, though. Perhaps if you try what I've said. :)
Yeah pet him really nice like when his sitting i scratch under his head and he really seem to love it, though the weird thing is my sister never do anything for him like feed him etc, and sometimes she even kicks him and close the door, yet he still sits the whole day in front of her room door just waiting for her to open, while my room is open for him 24/7 :((

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you ever been at a party in a house with a cat and watched the cat? People will try to get the cat's attention, holding out their hands, talking to it, meowing at it, etc., but maybe there's one person there who's allergic to cats and is trying really, really hard to avoid attracting the cat's attention. So who does the cat go to? The allergic person.

This may sound like Murphy's law in action, but actually it's based on the fact that humans tend to make eye contact when they're trying to get the cat's attention, while the person who is trying to avoid the cat's notice will try very hard not to make eye contact, and cats tend to find eye contact to be threatening. A cat will stare intently at prey that it's stalking, so maybe a person who is looking intently at the cat is actually stalking the cat. (This is feline logic; it doesn't have to make sense to a human.)

You may want to try ignoring the cat a bit. Keep feeding him and looking after his other needs, of course, and don't lock him out of your room, but pretend that you don't really care what he thinks of you. Don't make the first move to pet him, let him come to you. When you need to look at him for some reason be careful not to stare or look too intently. Occasionally give him a slow blink. All of this may make it more obvious to him that you're really a good guy, a safe person.

Margret

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

FozexD

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Have you ever been at a party in a house with a cat and watched the cat? People will try to get the cat's attention, holding out their hands, talking to it, meowing at it, etc., but maybe there's one person there who's allergic to cats and is trying really, really hard to avoid attracting the cat's attention. So who does the cat go to? The allergic person.

This may sound like Murphy's law in action, but actually it's based on the fact that humans tend to make eye contact when they're trying to get the cat's attention, while the person who is trying to avoid the cat's notice will try very hard not to make eye contact, and cats tend to find eye contact to be threatening. A cat will stare intently at prey that it's stalking, so maybe a person who is looking intently at the cat is actually stalking the cat. (This is feline logic; it doesn't have to make sense to a human.)

You may want to try ignoring the cat a bit. Keep feeding him and looking after his other needs, of course, and don't lock him out of your room, but pretend that you don't really care what he thinks of you. Don't make the first move to pet him, let him come to you. When you need to look at him for some reason be careful not to stare or look too intently. Occasionally give him a slow blink. All of this may make it more obvious to him that you're really a good guy, a safe person.

Margret
Alright thanks i will try this for a week and see whats going to happen

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Please make sure your sister doesn’t kick the cat anymore. She could seriously hurt him.

Also, is he neutered?

Kitty_Galore

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This sounds unfortunate but it must be the eye contact problem. Cats don't like it if you are trying to focus on them too much because that means that you may be a threat.

Also, I don't know how old is your sister and how strongly she kicks the cat but that can be dangerous as the cats are gentle creatures..

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise