I think my cat has pica - any advice on safe furniture?

TacosAndPurritos

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My vet and I suspect my cat has pica - she likes to chew and rip things apart and eat them. She had abdominal surgery 2 months ago, and right now she is at the vet, who just induced vomiting because we suspected a foreign body. She was weaned very early and was also sick as a kitten (according to foster). She has attachment anxiety and twitches too. I have tried various "chew toys", most of which took her all of 1-2 minutes to completely destroy. She is almost surgical in her destruction of chew toys. My vet prescribed some kind of GABA agonist that works as anti-anxiety, which we will start tomorrow or the next day (whenever she seems recovered from the vomiting drugs, poor thing).

I'm looking for recommendations on furniture, pica-safe fabrics and such, chew toys, etc. My bed frame and couch are being chewed and eaten up by her, and they are the stringy sort of loose weave like this (IKEA):

Capture.PNG

My bf and I are moving states in a couple of months with just our cars, so all the current furniture will be replaced. I want pica-safe furniture at my new locale. Anybody have a cat with pica, and if so, what in your experience is a safe kind of furniture fabric that they can't consume? Also what about chew toys and diversions that are safe and won't cause blockages? Thank you in advance for any replies :thanks:

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Would another kitten or young adult cat help? Sometimes bored cats will chew things apart.

A rubber Kong toy for dogs is pretty indestructible. Or a Nylabone.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
When my cat was 3 months,she would chew the carpet and on the kitchen table in the back where there was glue so I had plastic containers against the wall. Try getting a trixie puzzle or anything to keep her interested. She liked cats meow,ripple rug with lots of small toys hidden inside,small card board box with holes cut,and of course wand toys like the go cat catcher with a mouse on the end

crystal dawn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My boy also likes to chew things. Keeping everything he shouldn't have, especially plastic out of reach and also having some cat grass within reach for him to chew on helped. As for furniture and such. I would look for a tight weave or perhaps a faux leather. You may also be able to find covers for furniture that would be more resistant to being chewed on.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

TacosAndPurritos

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Have you tried chew toys babies use?
I have not! She manages to rip apart toys designed for cats to chew, but perhaps baby toys would be safer. I will look into this... thank you!