I stole someone's cat??

Status
Not open for further replies.
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

calicoprincess

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Carwashcats- I would have to say that in this situation there is no way that I would have given Bentley to this woman. However, if someone had answered my ads or called any of the local shelters looking for him at the time I found him, I definately would have made sure he found his way back home. I just don't think that a year later A) there is any way for her to actually know Bentley was her cat, he was a kitten when I found him. B) she was ever looking for him if he was. When I was at the vets last night with Nemo (he is fine, I was just being paranoid I guess) I was talking to that same tech and she told me that the woman is in the petsmart all the time. If that's true, and Bentley was her cat, and she really cared about him, then there is no way she shouldn't have found him. That being said, you are looking for your cat and you are doing everything you can to find her so I just think it is a totally different situation.

butzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with everything already said! I do sometimes worry that I got Butzie from the shelter when she had only been there 2 days and she was so well-trained and loving she must have been someone's pet. Yet, she was still in that shelter! We rescued our cats and I am sure they love their new homes.

My BACK OFF... comment would have been peppered with some choice words I learned growing up in Yonkers, NY and going to HS in Da Bronx.

mom2raven

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
wow, that is crazy. i don't know that I would have been that nice either!

A few weeks before my husband got me Raven someone knocked on our door with a stray (my husband is the resident manager, we get some strange knocks at the door). Anyway, some of the (terrible) kids around here had found this cat and locked her in an upstairs laundry room. I took her in, dh wanted to call animal control, I convinced him to let me make flyers and stuff and thankfully her people found us. I really wanted to tell them that we do not live in a safe place for outdoor kitties (we live like 300 feet from an interstate) but everybody makes their own decisions and I guess it all worked out.

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We had a similar situation happen with one of our storefront (Petsmart) kitties. I think I had mentioned Romeo before - a big grey tabby with the BEST personality. He had been dumped on one of our volunteers who pet sits an the person never came back. So we took him in.

While he was at one of our petstore displays this woman comes in and demands him, saying that's my long lost cat! She was definitely crazy. Here is the kicker. She had gotten her cat from the Humane Society and he was fixed. Romeo came to us "intact". When we told her that, her comment was, maybe they grew back!!!!!!!

Msmarsbar

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I was at Petsmart this weekend to get some stuff for the cats and I took Bentley and Nemo along. I do that a lot because I want them to be used to strangers and their harnesses. Well I was chatting with one of the vet tachs at Banfield when a woman walked up to us and started petting the boys. I didn't pay much attention to her at first because people always come over to pet the cats when I have them with me. About a minute later, the woman tried to tell me that I stole her cat! Apparently, she had a grey tabby like Bentley that got away from her about a year ago. She claims he had the same bend in his tail and everything! I really didn't know how to react. If you've read Bentley's page, you know he showed up at my door. Well when he first showed up, he was extremely skinny and scared of everything. The vet said that it was obvious that he wasn't well taken care of but he said that he probably had not been out on the streets for very long. I didn't want someone to be looking for their cat and not know where he was so I put up posters around the area and called all of the local shelters and vets and no one answered any of my attempts to find his home. Even if Bentley was her missing cat, she obviously didn't look for him very hard. The petsmart that we were at had found cat posters up about him for two months! Thank god, the vet tech was there, she told the woman that she was very sorry that she was missing her cat but that she knew me very well and was positive that I would never steal anyone's cat. She also told the woman that if he was indeed her cat, there had been signs up at the office for over two months when I found him and no one asked about them.

I just don't get it. Yes it is possible that Bentley was her cat, but how after a year of her not looking for him, does she decide to accuse someone of stealing her cat?
If it happened in Laguna six years ago, then know it is a tabby cat and I am still looking for him this many years later and still want to know he's ok!! I never stopped looking...he was the love of my life...Please just let me know and send pictures if so.

Last edited by a moderator:

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm thinking differently than every one else. I don't think she ever owned the cat to begin with. I think, she liked the cat, saw how sweet he was, noticed the bend in his tail and made the whole thing up hoping you would just hand over the cat to her.
If Bentley didn't seem to recognize her, this may be the case.

Status
Not open for further replies.