I shouldn't laugh, but . . .

twofatcats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I just couldn't help laughing when I first put that cone collar on Red Cat this morning. What a cat won't do to try to get one of those things off! He jumped in the air, up against the walls, tried to wedge himself between objects and pry it off that way. Then he would stomp up and down the halls, lifting his legs high as in marching. He maneuvered up and down the stairs half a dozen times, trying to find something which would get that thing off. I wish I'd had a video.

At first Purdy acted very concerned about Red Cat, following him from room to room. Then it apparently hit him, Red Cat couldn't very well carry out his dominant cat behavior while he was so handicapped. So then Purdy started play-ambushing Red Cat. Needless to say, Red Cat was not amused!

One thing is not funny, though. Red Cat expressed a desire to use the litter box about 2½ hours ago. I took the cover off the usual boxes, of course, and he did get in one several times, but apparently found it too hard to maneuver, so got out without using it. I found another extra litter box in the garage, a bit lower, so tried that. He found that unacceptable. A neighbor had given me one even lower after their cat died. I washed it up and put litter in it. Red Cat refused to use it. I thought maybe in spite of the washing there was still smell of a "foreign" cat on it, so I went to the hardware store and bought another similar shallow one. I filled it almost to the top with litter. He wouldn't use that either. I'm just hoping that he doesn't decide to use the carpet or my bed or something.

kumbulu

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You might have to put the shallow litter box you bought inside a really big cardboard box that's laid on it's side. He may be missing the privacy of the cover. He can then have his privacy but move around as well.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

twofatcats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I really don't think that privacy is an issue with Red Cat. He can take a cover or leave it. It doesn't bother him at all to do his duty right in the open outside on our extra lot. I think it is more likely that he didn't like the smell of the new boxes or that he still doesn't feel he can maneuver properly even with that long, shallow box when he has that large awkward cone on. That box may be long, but it is fairly narrow, so is hard to turn around. I've considered washing out the wheelbarrow and putting litter in it in the garage for him. That would give him more space to turn around without hitting an edge with that cone. It wouldn't help, though, if he just prefers a familiar smell.

ricalynn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know you say that privacy has not been an issue w/Red Cat, but is it possible that now that Purdy has discovered his "Achilles' Heel" in the difficulties of having the collar, that he feels more vulnerable in the open litter box? Looking at it that way, Kumbulu's suggestion makes more sense.

Sending feel better vibes Red Cat's way, and hoping he doesn't decide to be naughty outside the box!

twofatcats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Since the earlier incidents of Purdy bothering Red Cat, Purdy has been out on the deck and not around. (I can leave Purdy on the second floor deck without supervision; not the case with escape-artist Red Cat.) And I've been in the bathroom with Red Cat with the doors shut and he still initially investigated, then rejected the boxes. It has always been okay for me to be in there with him; just not Purdy.

It has been 4½ hours now since Red Cat first expressed an interest in using a box. This bothers me. I don't like having him try to hold it so long. He's had urinary blockages a couple of times previously and with the added stress, and the likelihood that he's not drinking much, it seems the risk there would be greater, too.

twofatcats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Whew. "We" finally used one of the shallow boxes.
The problem, it appeared, was that Red Cat likes to dig to China before he does his duty and that cone was in the way of his excavating. So he showed me where to dig, I did the excavation work, he produced, and I covered it up.

pamela

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by twofatcats

The problem, it appeared, was that Red Cat likes to dig to China before he does his duty and that cone was in the way of his excavating. So he showed me where to dig, I did the excavation work, he produced, and I covered it up.
'
LOL! WISH I could've seen that!!!!
GLAD to hear that he FINALLY used it..

tamme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

That's the funniest thing I have ever heard! Good for you for being so smart as to figure that out. He must have been so relieved!

Are you going to have to do this every time now?

cla517

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Poor baby! Cats are so miserable when they have to wear the cone! Hopefully he will figure out how to dig with the cone on so that you do not have to excavate the site for him every time!

twofatcats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
The funny thing is that I had excavated a site for him in one of the boxes before he got in it the first time. However, being a mere human, I suspect I picked the wrong spot. You know, location, location, location!

He's supposed to have this thing on for two or three WEEKS! So if I have to do the excavation each time, I'm going to be working for him.

Oh, what am I saying, I'm working for them already, aren't I?

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

What teamwork!! Awesome

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Awww we shouldn't laugh really, but it is funny!.

It reminds me when i first put Rosies collar on for the first time.

She wasn't that bad really, she just walked around the house backwards with her head down and her bum in the air for a while

twofatcats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I guess I may as well use this thread to continue the saga of Red Cat and his collar.

Red Cat hasn't used the box since around noon yesterday. He hasn't been eating or drinking a lot, so it is not too surprising. He has a big voice, and never hesitates to inform me if the box is not clean enough for his fastidious taste, so I'm sure he'd have let me know if he needed my assistance.

He ate so little yesterday that I was concerned, and I finally took his collar off long enough that he could eat and drink one meal in comfort. I'll probably end up doing that twice a day. He was managing to eat only a few kernels of kibble with the cone on. At 14.7 pounds, he is obese. He needs to lose weight anyway, but it is dangerous to do so too quickly, so I'll be moderating his intake.

The vet had told me that Red Cat would hate me. Not so. Well, for about two hours, maybe. After that, he's been more lovey dovey than ever.
You see, he has this problem of over-grooming. And since he can't groom or scratch, he has to convince me to pet or comb him. He is no dummy! He even rolled over on his back and invited me to pet his belly an hour or so ago.
Normally, he is one where I'd risk losing an arm if I tried. But then he turned and invited me to clean his rear end, too. Hey, enough is enough!

huggles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

But then he turned and invited me to clean his rear end, too. Hey, enough is enough!
well done Red Cat your not silly are you - did you try looking at mum with that innocent face saying 'dont you love me anymore'

twofatcats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Since getting Red Cat back into the collar has proved to be far less a hassle than his will-not-be-captured-at-any-cost approach to getting into a carrier, I elected to set him free of his collar in an enclosed bathroom to do his duties today. I made a mistake, though, in not pouring the litter into one of the deep litter boxes. He ended up with over a quart of litter on the floor plus I-don't-know-how-much down the furnace vent a couple of feet away. I'll have to clean that out when I have more time. At least his job is done now before I have to leave for several hours.