I see purina is making a “grain free” dry kibble

trudy1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Anybody using it? Wonder what the groups opinion is? I’m currently using merrick.

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you mean Purina Beyond? The dry food is trash, imo (full of peas and cassava, poor quality ingredients, 30 to 50% carbs), but the wet food from the same line isn't bad; for the price, though, you could do better, given that it's got guar gum, and most recipes have fish and/or veg in them.

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats refuse grain free. At the same time they won't eat the "better for you" foods either so I buy Friskies. For feral cats they are the pickiest bunch of eaters.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Purina Naturals also has a grain-free formula now, it's pretty crummy though:
  • Chicken By-Product Meal, Cassava Root Flour, Soy Flour, Pea Starch, Chicken, Pea Protein, Beef Fat Naturally Preserved with Mixed-Tocopherols, Lentil Flour, Canola Meal, Natural Liver Flavor, Dried Yeast, Phosphoric Acid, Salt, (vitamins and minerals, cut for space)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

trudy1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Well been using merrick but added some royal canine for weight control. They will pick around the merrick to get to the imo poorer quality canin! Silly rescues! You’d think they were spoiled? I just feed a variety to keep stock during this covid stuff
Thanks figured it was poorer quality

syzygycat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Anybody using it? Wonder what the groups opinion is? I’m currently using merrick.
The Beyond line isn't as awful as most purina dry food but still far from good (at least it doesn't have animal by products). The use peas instead of grains, peas are comparable to lower glycemic grains, but not significantly better. It has about 40% carbs, and they add pea protein to artificially raise the protein content.
It's not the worse food, but you can do much better at that price point.

trudy1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
The Beyond line isn't as awful as most purina dry food but still far from good (at least it doesn't have animal by products). The use peas instead of grains, peas are comparable to lower glycemic grains, but not significantly better. It has about 40% carbs, and they add pea protein to artificially raise the protein content.
It's not the worse food, but you can do much better at that price point.
So at that pice pint do you have any suggestions? Thanks bet way for responding

TardisDance

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
trudy1 trudy1 , are you in the States? Chewy has their American Journey line of dry food which I fed my cat when I first adopted her last year. It’s 22-24% carbs and 40% protein. There’s a 35% off promo for the first order right now and they often have BOGOs on it. It has a lot fruit/vegetable filler but it’s really not too bad. I honestly stopped feeding it to my cat because she was refusing all wet food at the time and I wanted to get her protein higher and her carbs even lower.

trudy1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Well, I’m in sw Missouri. Sometimes like the states, sometimes a foreign country! Lots of red necks but then we moved there from northern Arkansas so maybe I bettered myself? Ha!

I’ll try the journey. I have 7 rescues. Three boys and four girls. This covid thing made me realize it’s not god to confine yourself to one brand. I feed purina canned primavera plus dry merrick before grain, blue buffalo and some large kibble like Royal canin Maine coon and their nonvet dental for teeth. I try to shift toward a higher protein. But boy! Do they like the diet stuff from Beyond and Royal canin! So it kind of defeats the concept of weight control if they eat more of it!

Then of course there’s all that exercise!

Thanks

Attachments

syzygycat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So at that pice pint do you have any suggestions? Thanks bet way for responding
There are many choices, IMO, dry food over $1/lb should never have meat bi-products in and carbs should be under 35%.
Purina Beyond right now is $2.90/lb for that price or less Solid Gold is one of best options I know of (26-28% carbs). Other foods that price with 30-32% carbs: Crave, Taste of the Wild (only rocky mountain feline flavor), American Journey, Merrick Before Purfect Bistro, (and many many others).

You can compare all of these for yourself on catfooddb.com. most brands that aren't sold at supermarkets are usually better than purina beyond.

Id be weary of Blue Buffalo, the "wilderness" line, despite being much more expensive, is only a little better than purina beyond and worse than the foods I listed. BUT most of the 'Healthy Holistic' and 'Freedom' stuff is 45%-50% carbs ...high for any price point.