I scruffed my cat I feel awful

gemmamiso

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone.

My kitten (9 mo) escaped outside and it was dark and he ran right for the road. There were cars and people drive 60mph on this road so I grabbed him by the scruff and I feel so awful about it. I could have potentially just tried reaching for him and grabbing him but I didn't want him to run into the street. I feel so bad because I could have hurt him. He is acting scared and wont let me touch him. I have never felt so bad please help. Will he be okay??? He is scratching his ears a lot and looks scared :(

Also he probably weighs 9-10 pounds. Agh I feel so so bad- almost as if I've abused him.

Last edited:

cindycrna

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You might have irritated his ears a bit with a rough grab. Give him some milk and tuna and lots of love and he will forget it.

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Your kitten will be fine; as to feeling badly about it, chances are that you saved his Life.  By nine months, however, kittens no longer produce lactase -  the enzyme responsible for the digestion of lactose; skip the milk and give him a double helping of tuna instead.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gemmamiso

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you both. I gave him lots of treats. He's acting normal again, running around with a toy mouse being crazy. When he's calmed down I'll give him lots of love.

kittens mom

Kittens life was lost to a negligent veterinarian.
Top Cat
Purraise
Scruffing under those circumstances was exactly the right thing to do trying to pick up a scared cat is usually a disaster. I would have done exactly the same thing. Better he is a bit roughed up than dead.