I Screwed Up - Meds

sooser

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Kitty had a urethral blockage and was given metacam, prazosin, and clavaseptin. I don't know how but I misinterpreted instructions to mean give him a dose once a day, when instead they should have been given twice a day. This also means that the medication regime has been drawn out longer. How bad did I screw up and how bad will this affect my cat?

lacy2000

Windy City Fosters
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well since you gave less than what was prescribed, I don’t think he will be affected negatively. The only problem could be his urinary issues weren’t resolved. You should really consult with your vet about it and keep an eye on him.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi, I would suggest calling the vet and telling them. You need to know the answers to your questions but also whether at this point can you go with the original prescription frequency or stay with how you've been doing it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sooser

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Unfortunately my vet is presently closed. He is peeing, eating, playing, and cuddling.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I understand, please give them a call in the morning. I'm not a vet but you and the cat should be fine for now. Thank you for coming here and for caring about your cat!

sooser

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I just don't know if I can properly care for the little guy. This has been a reoccurring issue since we were forced to move into a smaller home with a dog on premises. The vet actually suggested euthanasia because of this, and he's only a 1 year old cat.

FordChick

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Please...please...please do not euthanise him@
I medicate 3 cats every day..one who gets a pill twice a day

Yes, it is an inconvenience, but worthy of euthanasia? No!

Does your guy need kidney surgery? I am in nyc, and the price was relatively cheap when my boy needed it

I'm sure your vet could also work out a payment plan

sooser

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Absolutely no it's not worth euthanasia. That'd be a tragic waste, I was stunned when the vet suggested as such. I'm just not certain if I'M the proper person to care for him, but I also worry rehoming him could lead to further complications since his complications appear to primarily be stress based.

FordChick

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Why not just give yourself time and see how you handle medicating him

Are these meds pill form?

You can try pill pockets or just stick it down his throat 1-2-3

Also, most pet sitters are good with medicating cats and if you go away for a day or two I'm sure your guy could miss a dose or two

susan denning

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi, I just wanted to offer my sympathy. I have a young cat with a past urinary blockage (so far he hasn't developed another one again). I have also asked myself the same questions (If someone else couldn't handle it better, and if so, how to find them?). Do you have a friend or relative who might consider a trial rehoming? If so, that might be one way to see if he does better.

sooser

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
susan denning susan denning Thank you. Sadly, not really. Most of them already have animals or aren't looking to have one, so I'd need to find someone. I likewise don't feel right surrendering him to a shelter, that DEFINITELY wouldn't help. It's just hard to tell if it's appropriate to rehome him, or if I'm being unreasonable based on the stress and guilt of the situation lol
I just want the lil furball to be happy and healthy and to have the best life can offer him.

FordChick

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry, but i think you are being unreasonable.

Yes, it's 3 meds twice a day. Okay...then just do it. Get up 15 minutes earlier every day and remedicate 12 hours later

There are so many cats in shelters that need homes as it is

sooser

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
F FordChick While I appreciate your honesty, I think you're missing the point. It's not the medication that's making me question this, it's the aforementioned environment. As previously stated, my recent move into a smaller home with a new dog some months ago is what has apparently inspired these issues, which have thus far happened monthly since the move. While I feel like an utter dolt for screwing up with the medication, it's not why I'm questioning my suitability.
Also like I said, no shelters for him.

FordChick

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
F FordChick While I appreciate your honesty, I think you're missing the point. It's not the medication that's making me question this, it's the aforementioned environment. As previously stated, my recent move into a smaller home with a new dog some months ago is what has apparently inspired these issues, which have thus far happened monthly since the move. While I feel like an utter dolt for screwing up with the medication, it's not why I'm questioning my suitability.
Also like I said, no shelters for him.
The new dog stresses him out?

Sometimes it takes awhile for animals to get used to eachother

My husband and i have 7 cats in a studio condo...yeah, it is very tight and crazy!...

Our cat Laguna freaked out when we got our 7th, for a few weeks...hissing and paceing

Then one day, she was back to normal

I don't know what to tell you except to give it time.

Maybe put the cat's info up on pet finder and ask around..

sooser

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yeah, that's been the hope from the start. Give it time, baby them lots, keep them on the good wet food, lots of fluids, and hope the health problems don't make their life utterly miserable. :c

FordChick

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yeah, that's been the hope from the start. Give it time, baby them lots, keep them on the good wet food, lots of fluids, and hope the health problems don't make their life utterly miserable. :c
Yes..just give it time. As far as his health, you posted that he is snuggling right now. So, it sounds like he is enjoying himself.

And i want to stress what i mentioned...our cat was pacing so much...up high on our furniture..that i thought perhaps she had some type of feline ocd...and the hissing

Also, she is our tiniest cat...trying to relate it to your cat versus the dog

It was pretty bad..and it took about 3 weeks and she is back to normal and even plays with the kitten

And we are in a 450 square foot apartment!!!..yikes

Just give your kitty some time

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi - so back to the original questions, have you had a chance to talk to the vet today?
Just a thought, by chance is there another vet in the area you'd consider talking to, maybe down the road? I'm a little baffled about this vet suggesting euthanasia but if you're comfortable with him otherwise that's the most important thing.
I think you are doing a great job, actually. I'm not a vet but if you can get more moisture into him with wet food, tuna juice, goat milk, that sort of thing, plus a little more time of settling in for you, him and everyone (including the dog :) ) his blockages hopefully will not happen again.

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'd like to second what Furballsmom Furballsmom said about the importance of ensuring he has enough moisture in his diet. That's what helped my cat Pushy to stave off any further bouts of crystals. He had quite a few recurrences of crystals until we got him sorted out with diet changes.
Don't be too hard on yourself about the stress. You're giving him a loving home and looking after him, and that's more than a lot of poor kitties get. We can only do our best.