I Screwed Up (chocolate)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sdkfjlasdf

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cat ate chocolate chip muffins once and was just fine- no medical attention needed. Dark chocolate is the worst but chocolate in America is definitely not the same as real German chocolate. Most chocolate here contains very little cocoa.

Here's a list from most to least toxic
  1. Cocoa powder (most toxic)
  2. Unsweetened baker’s chocolate
  3. Semisweet chocolate
  4. Dark chocolate
  5. Milk chocolate
  6. White chocolate (not very toxic)
Since my cat only ate milk chocolate, he was not at a high risk. The vet did say to give peroxide to make him throw up. The peroxide did nothing. I guess he has a very strong stomach.

If your cat is still sick, you should go the vet.

You should not warm cat food in the microwave - my cats have never refused cold food. Plus heating food destroys heat sensitive vitamins..

Heat is used for food to improve digestibility- think of rice and pasta. However it does reduce the nutritional content. Raw meat should be cooked to remove pathogenic bacteria. If you fed fresh prey directly to your cat, then it doesn't need cooking because it wouldn't be contaminated.

I don't agree with feeding raw meat because of where that meat comes from with factory farming. Pretty much all supermarket meat is contaminated. If you want to feed raw, buy directly from a farm where you can inspect the facilities.

It sounds like your cat may have health problems, but they are unrelated to anything you have fed him or her.
thanks, went to the vet (read posts above), got news that she's fine but just incredibly picky and probably in pain from my dumbass self using a porcelain bowl.

i will try stainless steel from now on, thanks a lot

MRG2018

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Has anyone tried silicone dishes? they usually don't retain smells, a little more hygienic than plastic.

ailish

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
thanks, went to the vet (read posts above), got news that she's fine but just incredibly picky and probably in pain from my dumbass self using a porcelain bowl.

i will try stainless steel from now on, thanks a lot
I'm curious about this porcelain/ceramic thing. Porcelain IS ceramic, and ceramic or stainless steel is what you are supposed to use because it's easier to clean. My cat has eaten out of ceramic since I got her, and two years later her teeth are fine. She's got three ceramic bowls and a stainless steel water bowl. But her teeth don't hit the bowl! If they did I would probably use plastic and replace it often.

sdkfjlasdf

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm curious about this porcelain/ceramic thing. Porcelain IS ceramic, and ceramic or stainless steel is what you are supposed to use because it's easier to clean. My cat has eaten out of ceramic since I got her, and two years later her teeth are fine. She's got three ceramic bowls and a stainless steel water bowl. But her teeth don't hit the bowl! If they did I would probably use plastic and replace it often.
ah yeah my cat's teeth did knock on the bowl... i got a bit concerned after a few days so i stopped using them but the damage has been done

Daisy6

A cat's best friend
Super Cat
Purraise
Teeth is not the problem with plastic bowls. It is chin acne. Their chins touch food and water bowls. Plastic is routinely discouraged because of this and the fact it's a bacteria-friendly porous material.

sdkfjlasdf

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
thanks all for the advice... but now my cat wont eat her cans once theyve been in the fridge haha. thats the problem. she will eat fancy feast from the fridge but not the more expensive brands like petcurean...

Daisy6

A cat's best friend
Super Cat
Purraise
I can relate. When I tried Solid Gold Turkey, Duck, and Pumpkin, Daisy gobbled it up and came back for more but I could not make her to eat refrigerated leftovers. Can you take it out and leave it on the counter for five minutes to see if she'll eat it at room temperature?

sdkfjlasdf

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I can relate. When I tried Solid Gold Turkey, Duck, and Pumpkin, Daisy gobbled it up and came back for more but I could not make her to eat refrigerated leftovers. Can you take it out and leave it on the counter for five minutes to see if she'll eat it at room temperature?
i actually used to leave it for 5 minutes and she still wouldn't eat it... today i left it for over an hour (almost 2 in a new ziploc bag) and she ate the first few bites before turning away. i had to add fancy feast and mix it in but she still didn't finish the mix, she only gobbled up any FF pieces she saw lol

i can't seek a refund, bought about 90USD worth of the more expensive stuff :(

i wish there was a more environmentally friendly way to keep the food out to cool it with minimal bacterial contamination. i'm thinking using a wrap or a lid... or even a glass jar.

sdkfjlasdf

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
can cats really tell when the food isn't fresh anymore (ie it's been in the fridge) even when it's at room temperature and has been sealed? just really confused.

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
I heard that leftover food loses or changed it’s smell ... so if your cat is a bit pickier, she might *think* it’s not fresh because it smells different. I thought I read somewhere if you don’t store the refrigerated food in the can it might be received better? I’ll see if I can chase that info down.

sdkfjlasdf

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I heard that leftover food loses or changed it’s smell ... so if your cat is a bit pickier, she might *think* it’s not fresh because it smells different. I thought I read somewhere if you don’t store the refrigerated food in the can it might be received better? I’ll see if I can chase that info down.
thanks, i read that too! maybe the metal smell after being in the fridge or something makes her sensitive to it. i'll try anything for Her Highness hahaha

Daisy6

A cat's best friend
Super Cat
Purraise
Can cats really tell when the food isn't fresh anymore (ie it's been in the fridge) even when it's at room temperature and has been sealed? just really confused.
Sure they can. Stale food changes odor, color, and texture if it is left out too long. That is why vets say leave wet food out only half an hour or whatever. But I don't know why they think the remainder of an open can smells different after time in a refrigerator.

Daisy6

A cat's best friend
Super Cat
Purraise
When you leave food in the can, it seems to be drier than if you transferred it to a different container. I have no idea why, but that has been my observation.

sdkfjlasdf

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
When you leave food in the can, it seems to be drier than if you transferred it to a different container. I have no idea why, but that has been my observation.
thanks a lot for this information! she is that sensitive to smell, i had no idea.