I probably need a slap for allowing this to happen, but ...

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Did you try MA's suggestions for the large and small seam rippers? They're blunt at the front so you don't have to worry about breaking the skin, and they don't pull the fur.....

auntie crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Gray is a stunningly beautiful kitty, and you are a saint for all you're doing for him and the others.

Although I have long-haired kitties whose fur needs sanitary cuts and regular attention, they let me snip away any mats that happen to form, so I've no personal advice to offer; I just wanted to give you props for your efforts. I do know matting can be painful and it's so good of you to ensure this gorgeous boy doesn't suffer needlessly.

And, WOW, I seriously believe that's the biggest paw I've ever seen in my LIFE. *gulp*

Good luck in all your feline endeavors!

AC

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gloriajh

FERAl born “Pepper”
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LDG

Did you try MA's suggestions for the large and small seam rippers? They're blunt at the front so you don't have to worry about breaking the skin, and they don't pull the fur.....
I tried the seam ripper that I have - it may be too small ??, I managed to get it inside a part of the mat, but the ripper just wouldn't pull clean enough - and, as you might suspect, I was getting some sassy warnings from Gray, so I didn't try to do more.

He really doesn't hold still enough for me to direct a point between all the fur strands in order to attempt to pull on the mat.

What ever I do is like "on the run".

I understand that I'm taking a huge risk with scissors - when I cut it's only the top of the mat, and only when I know the vet is available.

However, now that I've received another reminder from Feralvr about the dangers of using scissors, I'll lay off using them.

bastetservant

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Since he lets you put him in a carrier, why can't you take him to a professional groomer, if you can't find one to come to the house?

And vets will shave cats down, though they may put him out for it. It may the only way with him - and you may have to do it a couple of times a year.

He is quite formidable looking. I, too, have never seen a paw that size, except once. I had neighbors when I was in high school who had an absolutely huge black cat. He weighed something like 30 pounds (my memory may be exaggerating a bit), but he wasn't fat.

My Harlow looks a lot like your Gray, but he's not nearly as big. He doesn't much appreciate my pulling at mats either. And, somehow, he has managed to develop a couple small ones, though I comb him often. I'm going to call a cat groomer who makes house calls. I don't want Harlow to actually bite me (he just threatens at this point when I pull on his mats), and I don't want him to avoid being by me because he is thinking I'm always going to go at them. He leaves ASAP when I start.

Then I have the female DLH Ariel. She won't let me comb her anywhere that mats actually form. So, I'm going to let the groomer deal with her, too.

Robin

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gloriajh

FERAl born “Pepper”
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, we did it. And everything went great. Our vet was able to keep his stress levels down - in fact the groomer was talking to him and loving on him while he was still in his carrier. He actually layed down sideways to let her rub his cheeks - and purring and totally relaxed!

Prior trips were so stressful that he developed a cold after he came back home - the last cold then caused the other 3 to get sick and I didn't want to have to go through this again.

We decided that his fur would be shaved on his back and tummy where the mats were formed, a sanitary cut - leaving his tail, legs, and mane in tact.

Here's our handsome boy:

I do see he has dry skin, will be researching a remedy. He now allows me to touch him all over (still very careful though
), even get some tummy rubs in.

His family didn't even notice his new cut!