I Own A Mop Cat.

LeiLana80

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
This is Miss Kitty. Her past is a mystery- she appeared under our van in freezing temperatures this last winter- starving, filthy, and needy. She strongly resembles a Turkish Van, which is pretty amazing!
Anyway, she is our problem cat. She really is a sweet girl, but she has feeding issues (basically bulimic) and coat issues. Luckily she tolerates the other male cats in the house, so she basically gets along with everyone pretty well, so no real behavior issues (other than we can't get her to use a scratching post, ugh! lol).

Ok. So we've had her for about 6 months. When we found her, she was extremely malnourished and thin, as was her fur, of course. Now, after 6 months of nutrients and her obnoxious bulimic style of eating- a separate issue- her fur is quite long and full, and she finally has an undercoat. But that undercoat is like fluffy fuzzy cotton. And it practically instantly knots, even from petting.

Her fur is so complex! It's also weirdly stringy/always sticking together. When I comb her, it's really just the top coat and I don't get too much, and she looks the same. It's her undercoat that is crazy! And those knots! They are huge and deep at the skin and everywhere she is touched (neck, back, and even though we don't pet her here, allllll around her fuzzy bum).

Speaking of her bum fur... it's a completely different texture than the rest of her. And it's oddly excessive. It's weird and frizzy and just full of knots everywhere. She won't let me near that area to try and brush or trim anything.

She also doesn't handle physical attention very well. She loves being talked to (who doesn't) but you can literally only pet her 3-5 times before she is over stimulated and wants to bite. She doesn't though (no need to get her to that point) but it's obvious she can't handle much physical sensation and I have no desire to basically (in her mind) torment her like that.

So I have pictures of her crazy fur and all the different textures- I don't know if it'll help or not, but I'm kind of desperate to get her in better shape. I don't have hardly any extra money these days, so I'd like to know what are the best tools to buy to help her (so I don't have to buy a whole pile of them and go trial by error).

I hate her having all these knots that literally appear daily, as they can't feel good, poor thing.

Help!!

Thank you!!

Arrows pointing to some of her major knots.
20170831_171229_E2_sml.jpg

Her extra amount of butt fur...
20170831_171255_E2_sml.jpg

Showing her different fur textures. Smooth normal to insane tangled fuzz.
20170831_172742_E.jpg

Look how weirdly fuzzy her bum fur is! Un-brushable!
20170831_172818_E.jpg

She really is beautiful and deserves better coat care!
20170718_183046_EEE_sml.jpg

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
Have you tried using a comb instead of a brush? You need one with round metal teeth spaced fairly far apart. The comb with get through the fur a lot better than a brush that just kind of smooths over the topcoat.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
What kind of comb are you using? I think you need a comb or a "rake" with long teeth to really get down through the fur. Have you tried a Furminator?

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
LeiLana80 LeiLana80 - I have about a hundred pounds of several longhaired cats, and I've always used a simple "unbreakable" Ace® hard rubber hairdresser's comb, with one broad side and one fine side. I think I paid a quarter for mine, and it's still working decades later. Now they're pricey - almost two bucks:

Ace® 7.5-Inch Dressing Comb in Black

Good Heavens, but she's a gorgeous Turkish Van girl, isn't she?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

LeiLana80

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I actually use a comb JUST like what you suggested, 1CatOverTheLine! It's all I had on hand, and works fantastic for my crazy thick short haired cat Shadow (and he loves it). Doesn't seem to work well for Miss Kitty. The fine is too fine and pulls; the thick is too thick and does nothing.

My parents have the Furminator and I borrowed it to try it. It doesn't reach down far enough to get the undercoat, and it tugs her so she immediately reacts distastefully. ;)

LeiLana80

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Good Heavens, but she's a gorgeous Turkish Van girl, isn't she?
And thank you! She really is quite unusual and I felt like I was being set up by some candid camera or something when she came out from under our van. It was so surreal!

The funny thing is she's such a goofball! Have you guys ever heard of "Smoothie the cat"? She's a beautiful British longhair that has somewhat of an online presence, and she's beautiful and graceful.
Miss Kitty is an awkward ungraceful doofus and she just cracks me up. She is also partly blind in her right eye (the brownish one) so she peers at things really funny sometimes.

Just for kicks, here she is, in her ungraceful unbrushed glory... :hearthrob::lol:
20170802_003422.jpg

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
And thank you! She really is quite unusual and I felt like I was being set up by some candid camera or something when she came out from under our van. It was so surreal!
LeiLana80 LeiLana80 - I remember vividly the night you came on with the thread, "Beautiful Stray," and I asked if you'd contacted Catherine Claucherty at TatVan to see if Cath recognised her.

Just for fun, when I read this thread title, I thought it said, "I have a mob cap." I nearly replied, "well, I hope you have uniforms and aprons too, and that you do windows!"

Edit: here's your original thread:

Beautiful stray!

LeiLana80

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ohh, I hadn't seen those pictures in a while! Boy, she has definitely filled out!!!! :lol:
Her coloring has changed too, which is a bit of a surprise! Her tail has turned from a yellow/cream to an almost greyish tone. Interesting!

I never did contact her- in fact, I forgot! We posted signs in our neighborhood and on several of the very active online lost/found pet sites, with no hits. Actually, every few weeks I look through again to see if someone posted looking for her. Still nothing!

LeiLana80

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
HA!!!!
For a while, I was okay with finding her owner (if she had one). But IF she had one, they were not taking care of her properly anyway. So eventually I figured she was better off in our household anyway ;)
We did sink a bunch of money into her, too, so that helps that decision, haha!

And Oh. My. Goodness. Bob is a glorious cat. Look at his fluffffffff! :loveeyes:

LeiLana80

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I woke my nearby cats up by laughing so loud. What a tank!!! :loveeyes:

He looks incredibly content though. I love seeing that.