I only have 1 cat, is that bad?

CatMom311

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
For some reason, I feel so awful only having 1 cat. I've tried with getting a 2nd cat but kept getting cats that had major health or behavior issues in the past so now I'm down to 1 cat. I do think my current cat prefers being the only cat. I still, however, feel guilty. I love cats and feel horrible that so many other cats are homeless and in need. I worry that my cat might occasionally get lonely for a friend of its own species. My cat was much more active when there was another cat in the home, although she was less affectionate towards me during those times. Should I feel guilty or bad for having only 1 cat when so many other cats are in need of a home and love?

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
For some reason, I feel so awful only having 1 cat. I've tried with getting a 2nd cat but kept getting cats that had major health or behavior issues in the past so now I'm down to 1 cat. I do think my current cat prefers being the only cat. I still, however, feel guilty. I love cats and feel horrible that so many other cats are homeless and in need. I worry that my cat might occasionally get lonely for a friend of its own species. My cat was much more active when there was another cat in the home, although she was less affectionate towards me during those times. Should I feel guilty or bad for having only 1 cat when so many other cats are in need of a home and love?
I think you do what you can. As long as you can provide love, food, shelter for your one cat you are doing a lot. Also, it’s expensive. Maybe down the road a compatible cat will come in your lives but I don’t think you should feel guilty.

catloverfromwayback

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I do think my current cat prefers being the only cat. I still, however, feel guilty.
This is what it boils down to. Is your cat happier as an only cat? If so, you wouldn't do them, or a new cat, any favours by adopting another. My Maddie (my avatar pic) would in hindsight have been happier alone. I don't regret adopting Phoebe, but would not have had I realised (Mads had never been alone, but her previous companion was very old and quiet, which Phoebe definitely isn't, even eight years later!).

Last edited:

CyberTiger

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
No, there is not a reason a good person would wish guilt on you. Whether you get another cat is up to you and your circumstances (and debatably your current cat).

I'm the kind of person who sometimes thinks about all the suffering in the world with people and animals, and those times are hard.

But like the classic starfish story with the man rescuing what starfish he can even though he knows he can't save them all, we can make a difference in what ways we can. My little kitty girl (my only cat) became my reminder that I made a difference in her life by taking her in and I'm doing the best I can for my circumstances.

There are also other ways to make a difference. Donating time and/or money to a local shelter, for instance.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

CatMom311

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I think you do what you can. As long as you can provide love, food, shelter for your one cat you are doing a lot. Also, it’s expensive. Maybe down the road a compatible cat will come in your lives but I don’t think you should feel guilty.
Hi Margot,

Yes, it is more expensive. The times I tried to have a 2nd cat, I noticed I was spending much more on litter, food and also has to worry about possible health issues and vet visits each time. Also, just having to carry more and have more litter around for 2 cats was a lot. I still however keep re-trying and wanting to get another cat. It's odd but I'm hoping discussing this with other cat owners will help me with whatever is going on with me and wanting to help other cats.

CatMom311

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This is what it boils down to. Is your cat happier as an only cat? If so, you wouldn't do them, or a new cat, any favours by adopting another. My Maddie (my avatar pic) would in hindsight have been happier alone. I don't regret adopting Phoebe, but would not have had I realised (Mads had never been alone, but her previous companion was very old and quiet, which Phoebe definitely isn't, even eight years later!).
Yes, I definitely think my1 cat now prefers being the only cat. She's super affectionate only when she's the only cat. Purring, coming to me when I call her, etc. Even after the introductory phases in the past with the other cats, she just was never as affectionate to me when another cat was around.

CatMom311

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
No, there is not a reason a good person would wish guilt on you. Whether you get another cat is up to you and your circumstances (and debatably your current cat).

I'm the kind of person who sometimes thinks about all the suffering in the world with people and animals, and those times are hard.

But like the classic starfish story with the man rescuing what starfish he can even though he knows he can't save them all, we can make a difference in what ways we can. My little kitty girl (my only cat) became my reminder that I made a difference in her life by taking her in and I'm doing the best I can for my circumstances.

There are also other ways to make a difference. Donating time and/or money to a local shelter, for instance.
Thanks for this, I'm considering volunteering at a shelter a few days a month since it seems at this point in my life I'd like to help animals, cats in particular.

CatMom311

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I should also add, which I forgot to in my 1st reply, that having a 2nd cat and the doubling of financial needs in terms of more litter, more food (and wet food can be quite expensive), minding their health, possible vet visits, etc. made me feel sorta financially insecure each time in the past. It's odd that my heart still wants to try again for a 2nd cat but I guess it's just that I want to help other cats. I'm thinking volunteering when I can, like at least twice a month, might help me fulfill the call I feel to help other cats.

game misconduct

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
why? if you have the time/money and patience to spare in having multiple cats then adopt more cats but the reality is you cant save em all. you can always donate food to local shelters. or get involved with tnr to help lower the population of strays/ feral etc.

catloverfromwayback

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, I definitely think my1 cat now prefers being the only cat. She's super affectionate only when she's the only cat. Purring, coming to me when I call her, etc. Even after the introductory phases in the past with the other cats, she just was never as affectionate to me when another cat was around.
There's your answer! She's the one you need to consider (she is your very own purrsonal goddess, after all). It sounds like other cats were stressful for her. Plus yes, the financial considerations are considerable, especially if either cat developed medical conditions requiring medications, a special diet, etc. Volunteering is an excellent idea.