I Noticed My Cat On Miralax Has Black Stool

SwissMiss

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat Jasmine is 5 1/2 years old. She's always had hard dry stools. I have been giving her 1/4 teaspoon of Miralax a day which was recommended by the vet. She's been on it for several months and having good BM's. At this point I've converted her over to wet food. Last May she was drinking water like crazy and had blood work done which showed kidney disease. But I switched her food and she stopped drinking so much water. In November repeat blood work and a urine sample was taken which showed no kidney disease. Before the Miralax I had her on Lactulose which worked but she started vomiting that up. I also tried psycillium fiber which didn't work that well. She's acting like she feels fine. Her stool was a normal shape but it was black and so was one a few days ago. I have to catch her in the act because I have 2 cats that use the same litter box. I know that black stool can mean there's blood in the stool. I have a call in to her vet but maybe some of you on here have some input? Thank you! Also can a lab test on her stool detect if it has blood in it?

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
There is a fecal occult blood test for animals which your vet can do, so ask about that when you see them. The side effect warnings on Miralax say that if you have bloody stool, you need to see the doctor immediately; however, they do not specify that an ingredient in Miralax caused the blood. Your cat probably began to drink less water as a result of eating wet food, which is a normal reaction in that case.

Ask the vet if the fecal occult blood test requires removing some foods before it is done as some can affect the color of the stool.