I noticed a little bit of foam in my cat's pee

inediblepeaches

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey guys! I'm a new cat mum here, married into a family with an over breeding problem. Got that fixed (prior to our marriage), and now that I'm living with my inlaws, I'm the most involved in cleaning and caring for cats since I'm not currently working.

My cats love to pee just after I scoop their litter and am in the process of scooping the other boxes - while 2 of my males were peeing, I noticed there is a little but of bubbly white foam on top of the litter when they're done. It always dissipates very quickly. One of the cats who this happens to used to pee on the floor instead, before I took over regular scooping of their boxes, and his pee there never appeared foamy - even when I got there fast enough that the pee was still warm when I cleaned up.

Have I got anything to be worried about re kidney function, or feline foamy virus? I have not noticed the same thing with my females, thus the question. Of course, I might just be a new cat mum who isn't familiar, after spending 20 years with dogs and no cats.

Background: there's 10 cats total, most are pretty good about water, refill their little mugs about 2-3 times a day. No other symptoms like vomiting, lethargy, or fever.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! Welcome!!
I'm not a vet but I don't think this is abnormal. If you have a vet you can speak with, that might be the thing to do, just to be sure.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It's normal :) The pressure of the urine coming out and hitting the litter causes some foaming. It's probably more noticable with clumping type litters than with other types.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, I have noticed this with my cats too, and at first, was alarmed until I figured out that the force of the urine stream was doing it. Cats with urinary problems almost always have reduced urine flow, or strain and have no urine. As long as a cat is eating, drinking, using the litter box, and not hiding, everything is normal!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

inediblepeaches

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you to everyone who replied!

Since I'm inexperienced and also the primary carer for my kitties, I was a little worried! Thanks for quieting my mind :)