I... need to ... sleep ... zZzZz

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

javo2004

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

I've never had the need to use it, but it's my understanding the FeliWay could take several weeks to take effect. With him being outside a good part of the time, he might not be getting enough of the 'aroma' to have much effect on him. 

I know you have tried 'everything', but a good play session 30 to 45 minutes before bedtime IS good, and it might help if you give him some catnip too. It will perk him up for a bit at first, but afterward he will crash out - hopefully for longer than a couple hours. Another thing... when he wakes you at night, do you respond to him or ignore him? Responding or acknowledging him in ANY way will prompt him to want to play. Turn your back to him, pull the covers over your head, put in earplugs at night.

Personally, I wouldn't want to let him outside at night. That is when all the 'other' predators are out and about. It's really NOT safe!

I would love to say my two cats (22 months) are such perfect  Boys, but I'd be lying through my teeth! LOL  I am just fortunate enough to be a heavy sleeper. Sometimes I wake up in the morning to lamps on the floor, chairs knocked over and even the shower curtain AND rod were pulled down once! How I sleep through all that is beyond me! 

I wish you the best of luck! Passionflower, Chamomile, Valerian and Skullcap are two natural herbs that work as a mild sedative for cats. Just crush the flowers/leaves and make a small sachet for him to play with and chew on (like a catnip toy). It might be time to give your vet a call (assuming you have found one in the UK yet?). 
I tried Feliway for 2 months (the diffuser) to try to calm my cat, but to be honest didnt notice any change in his behaviour. This was before I allow him to go out.

I tried seveal things to be honest, including a ONE HOUR walk on a lead + harness EVERY DAY before bed. But, again, it would only "calm" him down for 1 to 2 hours. Sometimes not even that long, as he would start meowing right after coming in. I've been putting a lot of effort in this problem to try to help him.

Again, the problem is intensified by the fact that I am currently living in shared accommodation. I cannot ignore my cat scratching on a house and furniture that's not mine. And I am getting quite frustrated for being turned down on rentals (looking for my own place) for the simple fact of owning a cat !!!    :(

BTW, last time I talked to the vet (yes, here in the UK) he just suggested it would be a good ideia to allow him to go out. He didnt like the medication approach. Nothing more than that.

I'll look into sedatives for cats... didnt know that. Thanks!

Last edited: