I... need to ... sleep ... zZzZz

javo2004

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I moved from Portugal to the UK (was contacted by a company for a job offer that I decided to accept).

Brought my cat with me.

Decided to rent a room as a temporary option so I could calmly look for some place to rent and was lucky enough to find a chap who accepted my cat.

I immediately started having problems because the house is completely carpeted: Scratching paradise for my cat!!!

I give him plenty of scratching options... and he uses them all, including the carpets. He is now using nail caps that help a bit but, still, he manages to cause some damage... and also he is getting increasingly efficient at removing the caps.

I started to reward the scratching on the post by cuddling... and it caused a collateral effect of... not being able to sleep anymore.

Scratching the post is an efficient way of getting my attention, he is a very active and playful cat, and he hates when I sleep.

I cannot have 1 hour of continuous sleep without my cat calling me by scratching the post. If I hide the post, he will scratch the floor, which is obviously worse.

I've been looking for flats as I had in Portugal (that usually don't have carpeting) and, guess what, as soon as I say the word "pet" I get automatically refused. I am shocked with this. And with a problem I have NO IDEA on what to do.

... the lack of sleep is definitively taking a toll on me, on my health, my concentration, my work... terrible headache as I write this...

Last edited:

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry you are still having these problems. Do you play with him throughout the day? If so, how? He definitely needs to be fully exhausted a few times a day, especially before you go to bed.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

javo2004

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh... my cat is particularly demanding.

I was avoiding him to go out at all costs, but was unable to. He was desperate and I felt sorry for "locking" him up. Also the house has a big backyard.

I realized that he returns when I call him, and now I trust him enough to allow him to spend the entire day on his own exploring the outdoors.

When I return from work he comes inside with me. And 1 hour later he meows to go outside again. I allow that. When I am ready to go to bed I call him, bring him in, feed him, close the door and try to sleep.

He sleeps for 1 to 2 hours and... that's it. No more sleeping for anyone!

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Right. I think you need to have an active play session with him before bed. He may be exploring outside, but he's probably sleeping a lot. He's not exhausting himself until he pants.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Right. I think you need to have an active play session with him before bed. He may be exploring outside, but he's probably sleeping a lot. He's not exhausting himself until he pants.
I agree with this. Try a wand toy such as Da Bird. Most cats cannot resist this and it gives them some vigorous play time. A laser pointer works well for this too. 

donutte

Professional cat sitter extraordinaire!
Top Cat
Purraise
I might be remembering wrong (I'm going by your avatar actually - so memorable!), but are you the one with the kitty that insisted on going outside, but you wanted him to stay inside? Is this the same cat?

javo2004

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Da Bird - check

Laser pointer - check

He loves both, runs after them like crazy, but.. His favorite play is for me to raise my arms (as a "I am gonna catch you!") and run after him. In either case, he gets uninterested after 15 min of play. Is this normal? What do you do to keep him interested in playing?

After the playing session, he usually walks to the door and meows for me to open it and allow him to go out.

Also...

Feliway Diffuser - check

(I don't see much result)

javo2004

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I might be remembering wrong (I'm going by your avatar actually - so memorable!), but are you the one with the kitty that insisted on going outside, but you wanted him to stay inside? Is this the same cat?
Yes, one problematic little fella...

Believe me when I say I tried EVERYTHING to keep him indoors.

Now seeing how happy he is outside I think it would be cruel to lock him up. He has a strong personality. I've had several cats in the past (all of them indoor only) but this one is indeed unique in lots of ways.

Last edited:

mazie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Idea, what's the possibility of you adopting another cat, a playmate for him? Another cat will take some of the attention demanding from you, he will have a brother/sister to occupy time with, so to speak. Just a thought.

javo2004

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Idea, what's the possibility of you adopting another cat, a playmate for him? Another cat will take some of the attention demanding from you, he will have a brother/sister to occupy time with, so to speak. Just a thought.
He is 4 years old. Always lived with me. In fact, I can tell how he doesn't like other people to "interact" with him. Going to the vet now is a problem because he is a "strange person" and my cat is showing an aggressive side I didn't know about him.

How safe is it to bring another cat at this stage?

mazie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You know, you brought up some good points, and I am no expert, and give a little time, our experts on this situation will chime in with good suggestions. I have learned this in the short time I have been with this site, when introducing other cats, "Proper Introductions" will have to take place first, and with that, I will wait for someone experienced to take up the ball here. I too am interested in what they have to say... So, let's hang tight. Lol

javo2004

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Have you considered one of the cat exercise wheels.
No. Didn't know them! Interesting...

But it seems like a big investment, considering the change that my cat will ignore it and play with the its boxes instead.

Happens way too often when I buy him toys ;)

mazie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't see the problem, just give him the "box" the wheel came in and the wheel to another cat. Problem solved. So, so sorry, I know, I'm a wise guy, time for me to sign off. LOL

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hmm.  My concern with introducing another cat (although a buddy might be good for him) is having the space to do proper introductions.  I do think that would be required for him.  It involves keeping them completely separate for a time.  I'm not sure that's feasible with your current living situation. 

kittens mom

Kittens life was lost to a negligent veterinarian.
Top Cat
Purraise

No. Didn't know them! Interesting...

But it seems like a big investment, considering the change that my cat will ignore it and play with the its boxes instead.

Happens way too often when I buy him toys ;)
Your cat seems so active. I wanted to ask is he one of the mixed wild breeds ?  I want one of the wheels. Hopefully one will show up on ebay or such used at a better price. I'd love to try one out for a week.

javo2004

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Your cat seems so active. I wanted to ask is he one of the mixed wild breeds ?  I want one of the wheels. Hopefully one will show up on ebay or such used at a better price. I'd love to try one out for a week.
No. He is a persian that I got precisely because I thought he we be a calmer, more relaxed cat, suitable for an apartment. My mistake. He is more active that any of the cats I previously had as a child.

He gets tired, he does, but 2 hour sleep is enough for him to get "recharged" and ready for action. This is a problem for me that now have to keep him with me in my bedroom with the door closed...

Last time I went to vet with him, he said my cat is "out of character" because (aparently) it's not usual for a persian to show such energy / agressiveness.

Maybe the personality of the cat hasn't much to do with its breed? It's a cat in the end of the day... Flat faced, fluffy, adorable... but a cat.

javo2004

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
When I got him I chose him (among 5 kitties) because of his lovely blueish/gray color. All 5 were closed in a room. The lady said that this cat was very annoyed for being inside the room and the most loud in telling everyone he wanted to leave the room. I didnt pay much attention at that time, but I keep remembering it now and I realize that cats can have natural strong and DIFFERENT personalities...

I know all the comments from this forum about how much better is for the cat to be indoors, and I agree - all my previous cats were indoor only, but it just doesn't work for this cat. He is miserable inside the house (he was so miserable that I asked the vet about the possibility of giving him antidepressants)... even though he has a beautiful long hair that gets easily dirty and requires extra work now. You can tell how happy he is for running around in the garden after birds (he has a bell in the collar so he never manages to catch one), climbing trees and jumping fences...

It's when I want to sleep... bring him inside, close the doors... we both sleep for 1 to 2 hours and then... hell starts.

I am considering the possibility of letting him in during the day and let him out for the night... I don't like the idea, but...

Last edited:

fyllis

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've never had the need to use it, but it's my understanding the FeliWay could take several weeks to take effect. With him being outside a good part of the time, he might not be getting enough of the 'aroma' to have much effect on him. 

I know you have tried 'everything', but a good play session 30 to 45 minutes before bedtime IS good, and it might help if you give him some catnip too. It will perk him up for a bit at first, but afterward he will crash out - hopefully for longer than a couple hours. Another thing... when he wakes you at night, do you respond to him or ignore him? Responding or acknowledging him in ANY way will prompt him to want to play. Turn your back to him, pull the covers over your head, put in earplugs at night.

Personally, I wouldn't want to let him outside at night. That is when all the 'other' predators are out and about. It's really NOT safe!

I would love to say my two cats (22 months) are such perfect  Boys, but I'd be lying through my teeth! LOL  I am just fortunate enough to be a heavy sleeper. Sometimes I wake up in the morning to lamps on the floor, chairs knocked over and even the shower curtain AND rod were pulled down once! How I sleep through all that is beyond me! 

I wish you the best of luck! Passionflower, Chamomile, Valerian and Skullcap are two natural herbs that work as a mild sedative for cats. Just crush the flowers/leaves and make a small sachet for him to play with and chew on (like a catnip toy). It might be time to give your vet a call (assuming you have found one in the UK yet?).