I need someone to talk to

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hon, please try the medicines for at least four or five weeks. The side effects that are listed include everything that ever happened to any of the people in the tests, whether it was actually related to this medicine or not -- so chances are you won't experience those effects at all. And even if you do, they'll likely go away after a period of adjustment.

Don't pay too much attention to the diagnoses she gave you -- sometimes the terms aren't really adequate or even accurate in the way we laymen understand them (depression in particular is a misnomer)... and sometimes it can be hard for the patient herself to recognize things, too.

And please don't be offended that she was reading from papers... they do that because her purpose was not to really "interview" you the way your therapist does, but to determine which of the very specific, established medical parameters describe your symptoms best... and based on that, figure out what medicines would be best for you.

Just try it... please? I really, really believe it's the right thing for you to do. If you can, please trust me, and the doctor, and the therapist... and just try it.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by april31

Well still havent come to a decision. I dont want to feel knocked out all day. But then it would be nice not too feel like my world is crashing down on me either.
There are medications that don't knock you out or make you feel sleepy. And if you find the right medication, it can make a world of difference.

If you don't like the counselor (and she sounds like someone who isn't going to help you very much!), please find another one. Sometimes you have to "check out" a lot of them before you find one that clicks.

I hope you can find something that works.

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I take an antidepressant that totally doesn't make me feel knocked out or anything. I take it at night because it makes me just a bit sleepy. Not sleepy enough to sleep, but sleepy enough to make it hard to concentrate on numbers and stuff at work.

adymarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
April, it doesn't hurt to try them...please do. The may really end up helping you.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kluchetta

I take an antidepressant that totally doesn't make me feel knocked out or anything. I take it at night because it makes me just a bit sleepy. Not sleepy enough to sleep, but sleepy enough to make it hard to concentrate on numbers and stuff at work.
I take one that doesn't make me sleepy at all - and I take it in the morning. So they are available.

lizsto1

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My husband was taking effexor for a while. And man let me tell you the withdrawals of that medicine when you come off it are HORRIBLE!! There is also a web site from people who were on it who had the same problems.

You have to find what works right for you. Dont be afraid to try the medicine. They may have to try several before you find the right one.

Good luck.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

april31

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thats what scares me is the side effects. I did get them filled but havent started them yet. I dont really trust the person who I saw. From what ive read your shouldnt take both and she has me taking both at the same time.

I know I need to do something. I just have the bad happening of reading about everything and worring about the worst possible outcomes. (need to stop that).

Maybe I should just give in but its sooooo hard.

Thank you all again so much. If it wasnt for you all I dont know where id be. (Prob would still be where I was at this summer and not have even called anyone)

You all are wonderfull.

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
From my past experience with Klonopin, it knocked me out for 45 minutes - an hour. Basically its the same med used for patients with seizures, so it effects your nervous system more than muscle.

The way I found to go around it (as I was having panic attacks at the time) was to split the pill in half and take 1 of the halves. That provided me with enough to calm me down at work without knocking me out. Perhaps that is something you can do for the day time.

as for the other med, I don't know anything about that one. Do you have to take 2 a day or just one? If its just one, take it at night then you can sleep through it. If its 2 a day try splitting that one in half and take half in the morning and half at lunch.

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Okay, I did some research, and my impression is that the Klonopin may be intended to provide an immediate calming effect that will carry you through until the antidepressant kicks in (usually in several weeks).

Fluvoxamine, though, is a perfectly reasonable choice. Will you be seeing your therapist on Tuesday? If so, take both bottles with you and ask her what she thinks. If she doesn't already know how the Klonopin is supposed to work, she will surely find out for you.

Meanwhile, you could go ahead with the Fluvoxamine now, if you want. That would give you a couple of nights with it to see whether you have any side effects, and then you'd have a chance to discuss those with your therapist on Tuesday.

Once you've been reassured about these drugs and how they should work, please... dive in and embrace them and have faith that they're going to do the job for you. There's every reason to believe that they will, and that you're going to feel a lot better soon!

bonnie1965

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I haven't been around for awhile and just got all caught up on this. You are making amazing strides!

I took several antidepressants. They would work for about a year then seem to not work so well. The last one I was on was Effexor which was really good for me.

The worst side effects I ever had were some nausea and stomach upset. It went away after about a week. My dreams were more vivid for a couple of weeks. The withdrawals some people experience never happened with me. The pills were a great improvment over being depressed. Definitely worth a couple of weeks adjustment time.

It is tough to open up to someone but a couselor is the best person. You can tell them anything and they cannot tell anyone else
I didn't want to talk at all at first but when I did, it all came out in a waterfall of words. It was emotionally exhausting but what a relief to share with another human.

Take care of you! Sending lots of hugs and vibes!

trixie23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The reason they are perscribing the lorazepan with whatever anxiety/depression med you were perscribed is to help cut down on anxiety attacks. When you start taking anti-depressant/anxiety medications (threw the period of getting your body to adjust to the medication) you may have panic/anixety attacks. In such a case that is why klonopin (clonazepan and lorazepan) are perscribed. If your meds produce anixety attacks or an edgy feeling it is suggested to take the other med to calm that effect. I hope Im not confusing you. When I do feel the need to take my klonopin I actually take less than half just to see how I react to the medication. You can always take more, not less.

I can see why you are scared to try meds but you wont know how you react until you try. There is no harm in taking half of the perscribed dose just to see how your body reacts (unfortunately meds were to extreme for me, but what is too extreme for one person may be just right for the next). Feel free to call your psychiatrist and share these concerns that you have, that is what she/he is there for. I was too scared to try Effexor after reasearching it so I called my lady and she was such a dear about it and perscribed something less intense, however it didnt work out... but at least I can say I gave it a shot.

Hang tight, I know how you feel towards the medication situation. I would try the meds you were givin on a weekend, that way you can see how you react without it taking a major effect on your weekday activities.

april31

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Wow! I have had a really rough couple days.

Sunday seemed to top it off I got really depressed and my hubby wanted me to go in the hospital. My counselor yesterday saw me during her lunch hour and I have to go back and see her again today then see the phsycologist tomorrow.

She talked me into trying both meds since I have only been taking one of them. She also wrote a excuse for work for untill at least thursday. If that dont work then she wants me to think about going to the hospital.

I really dont know what to do or think. I feel like the walls are comming down and im drowning. I was hoping that I would be doing better by now not worse. I am not sure how much more of this i can handle. She told me that im in the emergency stage and that this will pass. Well its not passing soon enough.

I guess I just need someone to tell me it will be ok. I feel like im lossing it.

katz4life

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We hope you are feeling better!

Heres tons of For you to have great & happy days!
If you need anything at all - we are all here for you!

trixie23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It will pass, the situation isnt going to improve over night (I have to tell myself this everyday, it doesnt help that I am the most impatient person ever... wishing my issues would pan away in a snap just isnt realistic). Go ahead and try the meds, make sure a loved one keeps close tabs on you (some people's suicidal tendencies are at a higher stake when they first start taking meds or they have extra anxiety). If you really feel like you are about to snap or are having a nervous breakdown converse with yor doctors and discuss if in-patient is an option you should explore (trust me I almost went down that road). Its amazing how the chain of events in life can really send us spiraling into a feeling of no control and hoplessness.

Hang tight, keep going to appointments, call and leave messages for your doctors if you feel you have reached your limit (to discuss options), try meds, and try to remember these things will take time (I hate it to, but it is unfortunately fact).

Im sending you some feel good vibes, I know this is extremely draining and hard (I dont know what your going threw but I know to an extent the stress you may be feeling).

adymarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am sorry that things are so rough for you right now. Please try to work with the docotrs and take the meds. If you need to go to the hospital then do so, it may be what you need.

I am sending vibes your way. PM me if you want to talk.

april31

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thank you all. I am trying to hang in there and keep busy.

I go back again today and tomorrow and if im not better by tomorrow then they think I should try the hospital but she wants me to try both meds and see how that goes.

I dont feel quite as stressed as i did yesterday. Sunday I was really depressed and felt like driving into a tree. She asked me yesterday if I really would follow through with it. I told her no and thatt I felt bad for even thinking of it cause I couldnt leave my kids.

I do not want to go to the hopsital. I dont think I could do that either.

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by april31

Thank you all. I am trying to hang in there and keep busy.

I go back again today and tomorrow and if im not better by tomorrow then they think I should try the hospital but she wants me to try both meds and see how that goes.

I dont feel quite as stressed as i did yesterday. Sunday I was really depressed and felt like driving into a tree. She asked me yesterday if I really would follow through with it. I told her no and thatt I felt bad for even thinking of it cause I couldnt leave my kids.

I do not want to go to the hopsital. I dont think I could do that either.
I totally know how you feel. I even stopped wearing my seatbelt for a while. The ONLY thing keeping me from driving off the road was what it would do to my kids. So I went to the doctor and THAT DAY I started meds, and it really helped quickly. They don't always work quickly, but I think my brain was so low on Serotonin (or however that works) that it really helped right away. Please let us know what you decide!

april31

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
not sure if anyone remembers me just wanted to say hi and im still here.

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Of course we remember you, sweetie! I'm so glad to see you again!
How are you? I know your grandma passed away, so you can't be feeling too good right now... but aside from that sad loss, are you doing okay?