I need some Siamese cat lovers here....Why do they like being stinky so much?

lovemylulu

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a Siamese mix, Lulu and a full blood blue point Siamese named moon key.Both of them dont really clean themselves a lot and Lulu actually takes "baths" in the litterbox.She plays in it like it was a sandbox.Not sure if moon key does too but they both seem to like being stinky.Is that just a quirk Siamese-breed cats have or are mine just plain weird?

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Link is a Siamese mix and he is very clean. Always cleans himself (loudly) before napping and hates a dirty litter box. He will use a dirty litter box if he has to but if someone is home he will yell at them to clean it before using it. We even have two boxes for him because he doesn't like peeing and pooping in the same box.

Rocket is pointed mutt and she keeps pretty clean. She was a stinky mess when I got her but since I got her cleaned up she's pretty good at cleaning; not to the same degree as Link but she is never stinky.

It might be something else. I'd say leaving Mom too early and not learning grooming habits but that doesn't make sense if they aren't related. Maybe fleas (rolling in sand is a common reaction to itchy skin)? Something in the environment? Boredom?

Last edited:

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
How old are they? Kittens often play in the litter box and aren't always exacting about personal hygiene.

I doubt it's a breed trait. There's an adult feral in our local shelter's colony that loves being dirty, to the point that he deliberately walks through mud and puddles. Some of the other cats get so disgusted with him that they'll avoid or groom him.

sargon

High Priest of Freya, The Slightly Bitey.
Super Cat
Purraise
if you got one after the other, it may be that your second cat learned to be "lax on personal grooming" from the first one's bad example.  My Siamese kitten is quite fastidious, to the point that I know that she is finished eating when I see her begin to clean her paws after a meal.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Our two Siamese mixes are also very fastidious groomers; they're littermates and sometimes even groom each other. That said, I did once see Ireland (the lynx mix) roll in the litter box. That's only happened once (that I know of!) so I don't think it's a habit, though she is a bit fixated with the boxes: she loves to demonstrate for us that she knows how to use them properly.

Like @Kieka's Link, Edwina, our snowshoe mix, doesn't like peeing and pooping in the same box. Maybe that's a snowshoe thing?!

doreet

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My Burmese adult is very like a Siamese, and she grooms a lot, is very clean.it sounds like"learned" vs "breed."