I Need Some Input And Advice, Please

KittyKat184

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi all,

This problem has been bothering me for awhile and I still can't find an answer for this. Loki is a neuter male, more than 1 year but less than 2 years old. I would say he is not that active and his weight vary from 13 to 13.8lbs. His daily kcal intake is ranging from 180 to 208, leaning more toward the 185 kcal per day. Is the amount of the calorie intake sufficient? Many people say that 13lbs cat needs more than 220lbs per day. On the other hand, tho, people keep saying that indoor cat ideal weight is 10lbs and anything that goes beyond 11lbs is considered as overweight.

So... IDK! I am so confused! I don't know if he is overweight or simply because he has a bigger body frame/bone structure which results in a heavier weight. Should I increase the kcal intake or should I decrease to match the "10lbs ideal weight"?

Here are the pictures of Loki. I would say he is a snowshoe, if you need this info to help me on answering my question.

Any input is greatly appreciated!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! To me he looks fine, maybe a teensy over but nothing terrible.
If you can feel a thin layer over his ribs, he's perfect.
I wouldn't feed him any more per day, maybe just a little bit more towards 180 kcal but I definitely would try not to ever take him below 12.5 lbs.
It's too bad that those generalizations exist, because every cat is so different.
He is gorgeous, and don't stress. I'm glad you have each other!!

Last edited:

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
To me he looks like a very healthy very beautiful cat. It does not make sense that there is an average weight for a cat. A main coon is more than 13 pds. Miniture cats no more than 6. If you were to look up different breeds their weight varies. If you did not get pure bred how can you possibly know a cats weight? Maybe the Cats relatives were main coon and a miniture cat. As long as I can feel her ribs she is fine.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Specifying an "ideal weight" for all cats is like specifying an ideal weight for all humans. I'm 5'2" and my husband is 6'7"; if he were my weight it would mean that he's starving to death and if I were his it would mean that I should consider having my stomach stapled! Cats come in different sizes, too. It looks to me like Loki's weight is just fine. He's very handsome, BTW.

Margret

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He is very handsome!!! I think he looks quite healthy, beautiful coat as well. And just so you know, my male cat is currently 14 pounds, and I'm trying to add a few!!! He was recently sick (still is), so he lost too much weight, at 14 pounds his ribs are actually visible! So a standard weight "for an indoor" cat is hogwash.