I need some advice on brining in a new queen?

cccdlx

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have never had any problems with the health of the cats in my tiny little cattery.  Now I am about to bring in a new girl from another breeder.  Can anyone offer me advice on ways to ensure, or tests, that can confirm the health of a potential queen.  

What test do breeders want done for any breeding female?  My biggest question is centered about the quality of the overall immune system.  Are there tests that can be done to provide insight?

andrya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
l'm not a breeder, but l think it would depend on what breed of cat it is, and the breed's propensity toward certain conditions and illnesses.

For example, if it's a Persian it should be DNA tested for the PKD gene.

For HCM, maybe you could get a long-term health guarantee from the queen's breeder.

Breeds like Scottish Folds (my cat) if poorly bred can have a whole host of physical problems in later life. Seeing the pedigrees and seeing the cats is a huge bonus here.

Also, since l know breeders of Chartreux and BSHs, l know the importance of blood typing in certain breeds. Some breeds carry a higher incidence of B type and AB type, which of course shouldn't be bred to A type. 

That's all l can think of aside from the standard health and blood testing, and a home quarantine time.

GemsGem

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Well, which tests you have done depend on which type of pedigree breed. Each breed has its own genetic problems which you need to test for. Eg. A Persian would have different genetic problems in the breed compared to say a Siamese.

Some breeds it's heart problem other breeds it's hip/ joint problems. But this should all be in your research of the breeder and their cats. You should only buy from breeders who have performed all the tests available for the health problems to that breed.

As to the general health of a cat - The cat should be quarantined when arriving a your home, then taken to a vet ASAP for general heath check, blood test and faeces test. These need to be all clear become the cat has any contact with your other cats.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cccdlx

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you GemGems and Andrya!  I must tell you that I am working with a 'breed'  that is generally thought of as moggie,  the Desert Lynx.  I am non-the-less passionate about them!  

Other than the occasional potential for 'manx syndrome' there does not appear to be a tendency toward any of the common genetic disorders. My biggest question is centered about the quality of the overall immune system.  Are there tests that can be done to provide insight?   

Would a simple CBC be enough?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Cooperation with a good vet is always useful for a breeder.  Do you have such a one?   If not, try to find.

Ie one who is used to cooperate with breeders, among other, knows obstetrics...

Such a vet knows probably also what immune tests to take.  He knows well most breeders are verry careful not to get problems nor contagions in their breeding programmes.

Im not sure this answer helps you much, you had probably thought on it yourself, but  I wanted to add something positive.   :)

Good luck!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cccdlx

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
StefanZ, thank you!  I wish it was that easy to find a GOOD cat vet here.  They tend to be so anti-breeding that they are no help to me at all!  They are also very dismissive of my concerns.  I had one vet that actually missed the beginning of a urinary blockage.  I knew there was a problem...she blew it off as an over-reative owner! 

Once, I had a CBC on one of my girls when I first got her, and the vet mailed me the results.  I had to make another appointment before she would even discuss it with me.  I was concerned about the low WBC count in a seemingly healthy cat. 

I need to find better advice!  So I come here!!!

GemsGem

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Thank you GemGems and Andrya!  I must tell you that I am working with a 'breed'  that is generally thought of as moggie,  the Desert Lynx.  I am non-the-less passionate about them!  

Other than the occasional potential for 'manx syndrome' there does not appear to be a tendency toward any of the common genetic disorders. My biggest question is centered about the quality of the overall immune system.  Are there tests that can be done to provide insight?   

Would a simple CBC be enough?
For overall general heath I believe there is only the CBC and fecal test you can have done. But there is always that risk when buying in another cat, no matter how well you've done your homework - it's always a gamble :D

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
A CBC will tell you a lot about the current health of the cat, but doesn't include indicators for the immune system. There are tests for immunity to specific diseases or autoimmune conditions in humans, but none that I know to test the entire immune system. Sorry, I don't know if there is anything similar for cats.

I think the best you can do is get the pedigree of the queen for as many generations back as you can, and look at the health of all the cats in the pedigree. Also look at the health of all the cats currently in the breeder's cattery.

There are no guarantees, no matter how careful you are, but detailed record keeping is essential in developing your breeding lines.

colleen haynes

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello,

Before you get the cat, ask for documentation of all the genetic and contagious disease testing done. A good breeder understands the importance of this and should not have a problem with it.

Once you get the cat, you should start strengthening her immune system.  This can be done with probiotics such as Fortiflora and Florentero. Use them any time there is a stressful situation, such as going to the vet, introducing a new kitten, living in a new home etc and especially after a round of antibiotics. I also just bought Superfood Immunity. Haven't tried it yet but have heard of breeders that love it. Another factor affecting the immune system is the inbreeding ratio, which should not be more than 6.25%. (Study the pedigree carefully.)  Lastly, don't overcrowd your cats. This is very stressful for them. Place litter boxes all over the house, one more than the number of your cats and change the litter and disinfect the litter box every two weeks.

For more indepth study on these issues, I recommend these classes from Pawpeds: http://pawpeds.com/pawacademy/courses/