I need help

throwaway787

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi so I’m only 14 and I have a problem with my cat. My cat is sick, he’s breathing heavily, he has fleas, and overall not in good condition. My parents won’t take my cat to the vet and he won’t even let him sleep in the house at night. It’s been raining recently and I think it’s making him worse. We have this old car that nobody uses and at night I put him in there with a heat pad and a blanket with a bowl of food and water and leave the door open in case he wants to go out. My brother is 17 and he’s turning 18 in like 6 months, he wants to adopt my cat legally so we can care for it but 6 months is just too long. My cat is not in good condition and I have no options I really need help I try to feed my cat and give him water and a safe place to rest during the day but it just isn’t enough and I don’t know what to do please help

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Hi there, I'm sorry you're having such a tough time with your cat.

You don't have to be 18 to adopt a cat legally. You usually need to be over 18 to buy a pet or adopt from a shelter, but if this is a cat you found and are caring for you don't have to be.

Can your brother drive? Do the two of you have enough money to take the cat to the vet? There's no reason that the two of you can't do this now. Getting a health check and flea treatment would be a good start.

solomonar

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
a) Keep the cat hydrated, fresh and clean water. Make sure the cat drinks, if not change the bowl to have sufficient room for the whiskers - large bowl. Some cats prefer narrow bowl, like coffee cups or wine glasses.

b) Place the cat in warm places, as warm as possible, but not exaggerated.

c) Try flee over-the-counter treatment - could be expensive, but not as much as a full vet consultation

d) Ask a shelter vet for a free consultation

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

throwaway787

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My brother can’t drive and my parents don’t allow us to go to the vet

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

throwaway787

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi there, I'm sorry you're having such a tough time with your cat.

You don't have to be 18 to adopt a cat legally. You usually need to be over 18 to buy a pet or adopt from a shelter, but if this is a cat you found and are caring for you don't have to be.

Can your brother drive? Do the two of you have enough money to take the cat to the vet? There's no reason that the two of you can't do this now. Getting a health check and flea treatment would be a good start.
My brother can’t drive and my parents don’t allow us to go to the vet

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
OTC flea treatments like Advantage can be purchased without a prescription at a place like Petsmart. Don't use any Hartz products as there have been side effects. A bad flea infestation can cause illness in itself.