I need HELP!

Gwen_s

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat became urgently ill before Christmas. We took him to the vet once we noticed a swelling bump on his forehead above his nose. We were prescribed antibiotics but they haven’t been working and his condition has only gotten worse. The swelling in his nose has moved to his left eye leaving it closed majority of the time. When I wipe it with a warm wash cloth there’s blood and there is pus coming out of it. The bump on his head is squishy. He’s been having sneezing fits and won’t eat, is struggling to drink water. He sleeps most of the day. And he hasn’t been cleaning himself. Please help, I don’t know what this is and how to help my baby. I included a picture of his eye and the bump, compared to how he looks when healthy.
99C35910-88BE-461D-BCCF-FC99AB8106A6.jpeg

Attachments

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He must stay hydrated. If he cannot drink then that’s a problem. If he started antibiotics before Christmas I would be thinking he would be showing a bit of improvement by now. I would get him back to the vet. Does your vet have someone on call now? If so, call. You may be able to go ahead and send those photos by text or email too. The drainage and pus coming out might be good to relieve some of the pressure for the moment but advice from the vet is needed. Not drinking much or eating can be because his nose is blocked but if he was my kitty, I would get him right back to the vet. When you call to get information or to schedule, make sure they know ALL you just said in that post. If infection is there, it’s very important to get it cleared up quickly. Please do let us know how he is doing.

I’m not sure if it will give him any relief because of the swelling but a steamy bathroom might help him breathe a little better temporarily. It won’t fix the problem because of the swelling though.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would definitely get him back to the vet. Not eating and drinking can create their own serious issues. I have no idea what is going on other then the obvious, some kind of infection. It started out sounding like an abscess. I know that sinus cavities can get infected like this in cats.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I agree with Jcatbird Jcatbird that if he was prescribed antibiotics before Christmas he should be showing some signs of improvement. What diagnosis did your vet give you? It would concern me that the infection or cause of his health problem has spread to his eye. For that reason it's important for your cat to get immediate veterinary care. I've included an Article about eye problems in cats which addresses the seriousness of this issue: Eye Problems In Cats: What Every Owner Needs To Know – TheCatSite Articles

Please contact your vet or if they are not available an emergency veterinary clinic and keep us posted on his progress. :alright:

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You should be seeing some improvement by now. Please get him back to the vet ASAP. This is very concerning to me.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Any updates on your kitty? Any change in his symptoms?