I Need Help !

Sabrina AIDA

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi my name is Sabrina and i'm 21 years old . When i was 18 i purchase a persian cat named Midas , he lived with me and my boyfriend in Romania, unfortunately i had to leave and go to Italy because he was little i had to wait 3 months for his vaccines so i left him with my bf grandma. After his vaccines were done he came here with us . He was never an affectionate cat or sociable . One day we found a cat on the streets and we took him home , they loved each other , but 5 months ago they started fighting . Me , my boyfriend and a friend got severely bitten , we tried our vet advice , internet advice they stii didn't stop. My friends told me he was to aggresive and nobody wanted to adopt him . I asked for help to a shelter and they took him yeasterday , now i see on their facebook a picture with him being sad in the description they said that we we're aggresive with him and we abandoned after talking with them for 1 month asking for help . They lied about us and said that we wanted to go on a vacation ... i was already depressed because i left him there and now i see this post . I went to talk with them nicely and find out why they lied .. they didn't want to talk with us and said that the cat is theirs now and i can't get it back ... please help me i want to get my cat back , i will do anything for him.. i was hoping he will find a better family , but i never wanted this to happen i don't know what to do , i'm desperate.Please excuse my poor/bad English!

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
I'm really sorry for what you're going through - it sounds very painful. Unfortunately, it's probably quite common for shelters to have the right to decide if owners can change their mind and take their cat home again. This may even be written in the paperwork they gave you when you surrendered him. In your case, if the people at the shelter actually believe what is written in the Facebook post, it's very unlikely that they will let you have him. You need to go to the top about this, that is talk to the person in charge of the shelter. Be prepared to prove you didn't do the things that were written in the Facebook post. I really don't know how you'll do that - perhaps a couple of witnesses on your behalf would help.

Before doing that, I think you should think very carefully about bringing him home again. You'll still have the fighting and, although we might be able to help with that, it will take time before you have a peaceful household. In the meantime, one of you may get bitten again. You said that you originally gave him up in hopes that he would find a family that suited him better - that's still an option, isn't it? Even though the shelter has given you a hard time, it doesn't mean that they won't try their hardest to find a good home for your cat. I wasn't sure from your post which cat you surrendered but if it was Midas, the fact that he's a persian will increase the odds that someone will want him.

If you are sure you want him back, then you really will need to make a case for yourself as someone who has given him a good home in the past and will do so again. I would probably feel the same way that you do - it must be heart-wrenching to surrender your cat to a shelter in hopes that he'll have a better life. If you are able to convince the shelter to give him back, we may be able to help you. Just post a question in the Cat Behavior forum and you'll get lots of good advice.

I wish you luck. Please let us know what happens.

(By the way, your English is fine!)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Sabrina AIDA

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm really sorry for what you're going through - it sounds very painful. Unfortunately, it's probably quite common for shelters to have the right to decide if owners can change their mind and take their cat home again. This may even be written in the paperwork they gave you when you surrendered him. In your case, if the people at the shelter actually believe what is written in the Facebook post, it's very unlikely that they will let you have him. You need to go to the top about this, that is talk to the person in charge of the shelter. Be prepared to prove you didn't do the things that were written in the Facebook post. I really don't know how you'll do that - perhaps a couple of witnesses on your behalf would help.

Before doing that, I think you should think very carefully about bringing him home again. You'll still have the fighting and, although we might be able to help with that, it will take time before you have a peaceful household. In the meantime, one of you may get bitten again. You said that you originally gave him up in hopes that he would find a family that suited him better - that's still an option, isn't it? Even though the shelter has given you a hard time, it doesn't mean that they won't try their hardest to find a good home for your cat. I wasn't sure from your post which cat you surrendered but if it was Midas, the fact that he's a persian will increase the odds that someone will want him.

If you are sure you want him back, then you really will need to make a case for yourself as someone who has given him a good home in the past and will do so again. I would probably feel the same way that you do - it must be heart-wrenching to surrender your cat to a shelter in hopes that he'll have a better life. If you are able to convince the shelter to give him back, we may be able to help you. Just post a question in the Cat Behavior forum and you'll get lots of good advice.

Thank you so much for being so nice with me ! Midas is the cat i surrendered . I took care of him 4 years and it's sad because i love cats more then humans . before i took him to the shelter i asked for help from my vet , and them. I wanted to go to cat psychotherapy but here is expensive 100 euros one sesion and i only earn 800 a month . There are 2 shelters here where i live , when i asked the owner of this shelter if i should go to the other one(because it's bigger) , she said that they wil euthanize him there .I hate how they made me look like the bad guy , I asked them to come to my house and see how i treat my animals ..after i commented on fb my story they changed the description . Someone said "i hope you have the most painfull death " . I wanted to take him to another shelter , i can't keep him in my house anymore because he goes to my neighbor ( my neighbor is an 70 year old woman who is living alone ) and she is really scared of him and whenever he sees my boyfriend he wants to attack ( i think it's because my bf used to break the cat fights , he got bitten 6 times and the last time was really sever we called the ambulance , he never beat him or something like this , he loves animals ) . I don't understand why he became so aggresive , i gave him so much attention and love ...i want him to be happy , maybe a new family is going to be better for him , a family with no other pets . I told the shelter owner that he can't stay in a family with kids ,because you never know what can happen , they didn't specify in the facebook post ..they just want someone to take him and if he bites the new owner they will probably say " the new owner beats the cat " this is why i want to take him to another shelter , this shelter was near my house and it was my mistake i didn't look before i took him there .

Attachments

Sabrina AIDA

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

I was already depressed , i couldn't sleep last night i cried all night and when i woke up i saw this picture on their fb with the caption : "This is how a cat eyes look after their owner abandoned him , i can't even look at him because it makes me sick . I have no hope for humanity !" When i saw how sad he was my heart broke into pieces.

Attachments

Sabrina AIDA

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I was already depressed , i couldn't sleep last night i cried all night and when i woke up i saw this picture on their fb with the caption : "This is how a cat eyes look after their owner abandoned him , i can't even look at him because it makes me sick . I have no hope for humanity !" When i saw how sad he was my heart broke into pieces.
I will go tomorow again to the shelter ,to donate some money( i was going to anyway, they asked for some money and told me to come thursday ) , i hope they will talk to me and be more nice about it . I waited 4 hours at the door today to talk with them and see what's wrong and why they didn't tell the truth but nobody was there . I just want to take my cat to a better place and i will do anything even if i have to call the police , i recorded all the phone calls and i have the texts from them . I think i will take a coworker with me , maybe if they see that she is italian they will be more nice , they don't like rumanians here.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Many times a good sob story will attract adopters a lot faster. That may be what they're doing. . .trying to make his story sound worse so he'll get some sympathy. It's not very nice but it doesn't have much bearing on how they care for the cats. So if you think they're taking good care of him and won't kill him like most shelters will, there's no reason to remove him from their care, especially if you'll just be getting rid of him again. Leave well enough alone.

margd

Veteran
Purraise
What a beautiful boy Midas is! I hope he finds a good family soon. And I'm sorry about how painful this has been for you when you really were doing this in hopes he would find a better life.

I agree with W Willowy that it would be best to leave him at the current shelter. Even though they have been jerks towards you, they sound like the best place for him since the other shelter may euthanize him. This really does need to be about his best interests, although I can undertand why you're angry with the current shelter. And Willowy is absolutely right that they may have invented a sob story to go with his photo in order to appeal to more people. He does look very sad, no wonder you can't bear to look at that image.

You wondered why he became so aggressive and from what I understand, it seems like it started when you adopted the second cat. If you ever bring home another cat, check out our article on cat-to-cat introductions. This process can prevent a lot of problems between cats in the future. I didn't know about the need for introductions years ago when I brought home a new cat and I really wish I had. The result was that my two male cats got into spraying contests and had occasional spats until years later, they finally made friends with each other.

I'm hoping you can come to some peace about this. It's a tough situation to be sure.

Sabrina AIDA

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Many times a good sob story will attract adopters a lot faster. That may be what they're doing. . .trying to make his story sound worse so he'll get some sympathy. It's not very nice but it doesn't have much bearing on how they care for the cats. So if you think they're taking good care of him and won't kill him like most shelters will, there's no reason to remove him from their care, especially if you'll just be getting rid of him again. Leave well enough alone.
I went yesterday to donate some money and give them food for cats , toys etc. Midas was looking happier ( i was told not to go and talk with him because this will make him more sad and he will stop eating ).They told me that they invented the story exactly how W Willowy said to attract more adopters ,3 adopters are interested in him . They didn't realise i will want to see how he is doing after the adoption ... Today someone is coming to see him . Here when you want to a adopt a pet , they come to your house to see if the cat can live there . They treat him nice and we solve our problems ( the owner forgot to tell me that she will invent a story so he can found a house faster )

He was always a bit aggresive , he didn't like me to pet him to much ..i told my vet about this and he said if i neuter him early he will be nicer . When i got Felix he was having problems because he stayed in the rain for 3 days without his mother and brothers and no food . I took him in our house , healed him and Midas was really nice to him they were eating ,playing and sleeping together , 5 months ago they started fighting and having spraying contents like you said , i think i used all internet advices and pet advices . They told me to let my cats fight but the problem was that Midas was fighting while Felix was trying to run from him and ask for my bf help . I let them finish 3 fights , still didn't stop Midas from hunting him in the house , i had to keep Felix in my bedroom for 1 month . My vet told me to buy 2 Feliway Friends , cat nip to help me relax the cats , play with the cats at the same time and feed them togheter . I really tried all the solutions and still didn't work . I don't say i was the perfect mother for Midas because sometimes i was at work and didn't have much time to treat the solution .. i work from 8:00 am till 3:00 pm after i go walk dogs and sometimes i go clean ppl houses .

Thank you so much for your help i really appreciate it !

margd

Veteran
Purraise
Thank you for the update! I am so glad to hear that things are looking up for Midas and that you are feeling better about everything. :catrub:

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Am I the only person concerned about the shelter lying about facts .... like are they going to tell Midas's new owners that he has aggression problems and should be an only cat? Are they going to screen for that? I think you are long over do for a frank heart to heart with the person running shelter. On the negative side many shelters flat out kill aggressive cats; thank god you found a no kill. On the other hand finding the right home (with no kids or other cats) will make a giant difference in making sure that Midas is not returned to the shelter when things don't work out.

I lived in Denmark for a couple of years and adopted an adult cat. I was told she was an indoor cat who had been traumatized by kids. Since I was kid-less and we had a nice apartment I thought she would be a good fit. She was the one more month cat. As in "let's give her 1 more month." After 6 months I reached my breaking point and was ready to return her! She got re-homed with my x-in laws and was happy as can be! Turns out she was an outdoor/indoor reformed feral cat. Luckily my x-father in law thought she was playing when she bit his hand... and his hands were so callused that it didn't hurt him. So yes though I do want Madis to be adopted, I want his next home to last. If his new adopted family is properly screened and prepared it can be. Finding a cat aggressive cat a home, let alone an adult cat a home takes time. It took us 18 months to find buddy a home (he was abandoned during the housing crisis here in the states ... we would have kept him but he was cat aggressive.)

I suggest you fax or write a letter to the person that runs the shelter (keeping a copy for yourself) informing them of Max's true history, if they don't update his profile I might post his true story on their facebook page ... as a last resort. I say last resort, because the ultimate goal here is to get him happily adopted.

margd

Veteran
Purraise
Am I the only person concerned about the shelter lying about facts .... like are they going to tell Midas's new owners that he has aggression problems and should be an only cat? Are they going to screen for that? I think you are long over do for a frank heart to heart with the person running shelter. On the negative side many shelters flat out kill aggressive cats; thank god you found a no kill. On the other hand finding the right home (with no kids or other cats) will make a giant difference in making sure that Midas is not returned to the shelter when things don't work out.

I lived in Denmark for a couple of years and adopted an adult cat. I was told she was an indoor cat who had been traumatized by kids. Since I was kid-less and we had a nice apartment I thought she would be a good fit. She was the one more month cat. As in "let's give her 1 more month." After 6 months I reached my breaking point and was ready to return her! She got re-homed with my x-in laws and was happy as can be! Turns out she was an outdoor/indoor reformed feral cat. Luckily my x-father in law thought she was playing when she bit his hand... and his hands were so callused that it didn't hurt him. So yes though I do want Madis to be adopted, I want his next home to last. If his new adopted family is properly screened and prepared it can be. Finding a cat aggressive cat a home, let alone an adult cat a home takes time. It took us 18 months to find buddy a home (he was abandoned during the housing crisis here in the states ... we would have kept him but he was cat aggressive.)

I suggest you fax or write a letter to the person that runs the shelter (keeping a copy for yourself) informing them of Max's true history, if they don't update his profile I might post his true story on their facebook page ... as a last resort. I say last resort, because the ultimate goal here is to get him happily adopted.

Thank you for bringing up these important points, ones that I should have addressed in my posts, too. :doh: You are absolutely right to question whether or not the shelter will share the information about Midas being aggressive, considering what a sad story they spun about him in his post. Midas needs a permanent home that fits him and hiding his aggressive history from adopters only increases the odds that he will be returned to the shelter and be even more traumatized. I like to think that most shelter personnel want a successful adoption rather than high adoption figures but there undoubtedly are exceptions out there. Ensuring that the shelter director knows the history of the situation is a very good idea. This is a time when it's essential to look after Midas's best interests - bless you for doing it. :catrub: