I need help with my two cats not getting along.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just have two cats, B and K. They do fight, in fact B has a scratch on her ear now from K. K only attacked us once when she saw the stray, when I do see the stray before them, I take the dog into another room behind closed doors so that K doesn't redirect to him because she has. They usually fight when we're asleep, K tries to get to where B is and B hisses and swats and K does the same. B just wants K to leave her alone and K does not want to leave B alone. It reminds me of siblings bothering their other siblings and just being a pest. B doesn't ever seek out K, but K seeks out B. B would prefer to be an only cat, K would prefer to have another cat to play with and when you mix the personalities it's not easy going.

But yes, they've been eating side by side for years. I read on how to introduce them when I got K, who at the time was still being bottle fed. It seemed to go fine but I guess it didn't.
When they "fight" how do they act after? Does anyone hide? Avoid the other cat? Avoid any areas of the house? Is there a change in their behavior after the "fight" and for how long does it last?

"B doesn't ever seek out K, but K seeks out B." - By seeking out you just mean wanting to be near or play? Or does she seek out to attack to fight?

"I read on how to introduce them when I got K, who at the time was still being bottle fed. It seemed to go fine but I guess it didn't." - I disagree. They eat together. That is very successful. They haven't really hurt each other. Again, very successful.

How long is B spending in the dog crate? Or under the bed? Cats can sleep hours and hours a day. So it is really how she moves around the house. If she is slinking, afraid, tail down, avoiding areas, etc then a quality of life issue needs to be worked on (which we are doing).

Just really work on playing with B and feed treats either. When they are together distract K so K doesn't bother B as much and that will build B's confidence. Make those positive associations between them using food and positive encounters.

We'll get there. B does not seem like a "shrinking violet" so I think she is better than you may realize though I understand it is not perfect.

I really don't think you should be so hard on yourself. We will improve the situation but I think you have done a good job so far.

Just keep us up to date and ask anything anytime. We are going to make things better.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

TGM2020

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
When they "fight" how do they act after? Does anyone hide? Avoid the other cat? Avoid any areas of the house? Is there a change in their behavior after the "fight" and for how long does it last?

"B doesn't ever seek out K, but K seeks out B." - By seeking out you just mean wanting to be near or play? Or does she seek out to attack to fight?

"I read on how to introduce them when I got K, who at the time was still being bottle fed. It seemed to go fine but I guess it didn't." - I disagree. They eat together. That is very successful. They haven't really hurt each other. Again, very successful.

How long is B spending in the dog crate? Or under the bed? Cats can sleep hours and hours a day. So it is really how she moves around the house. If she is slinking, afraid, tail down, avoiding areas, etc then a quality of life issue needs to be worked on (which we are doing).

Just really work on playing with B and feed treats either. When they are together distract K so K doesn't bother B as much and that will build B's confidence. Make those positive associations between them using food and positive encounters.

We'll get there. B does not seem like a "shrinking violet" so I think she is better than you may realize though I understand it is not perfect.

I really don't think you should be so hard on yourself. We will improve the situation but I think you have done a good job so far.

Just keep us up to date and ask anything anytime. We are going to make things better.
B usually just goes back to whatever which is usually just hanging about. I do admit that B spends a lot of time in the dog crate, it's not closed, it's always open and she can go in and out of it whenever, if K is in the crate then B just lays on the floor. B doesn't use any of the cat trees anymore, she can still jump and get on them she just doesn't because of K.

K will go up to her, B hisses and that gets them all ruffled up. K will usually walk away, sometimes though she will continue to antagonist B by continuing to paw at her. I do think the majority of it is K wants to play with B, B has never played with K and probably never will. K however is going to keep trying.

B does slink around the house and run into her places, which is either behind a door which sends K into messing with her more, or in the crate or under the bed.

I do need to improve on distracting K away from B. I do think they can co-exist better together. K hasn't grown out of her kitten, always needing attention phase, she is always into something. I'm working on giving her more attention that isn't play because I honestly can't keep up with all the play and I've yet to find a floor toy she likes. I swear she is like a toddler hopped up on caffeine most of the day.

TGM2020

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I also just want to say you are amazing, you've been giving me such great advice and encouragement and I want to thank you for that. It really means a lot. Also B is a calico, a very pretty girl calico.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
B usually just goes back to whatever which is usually just hanging about. I do admit that B spends a lot of time in the dog crate, it's not closed, it's always open and she can go in and out of it whenever, if K is in the crate then B just lays on the floor. B doesn't use any of the cat trees anymore, she can still jump and get on them she just doesn't because of K.

K will go up to her, B hisses and that gets them all ruffled up. K will usually walk away, sometimes though she will continue to antagonist B by continuing to paw at her. I do think the majority of it is K wants to play with B, B has never played with K and probably never will. K however is going to keep trying.

B does slink around the house and run into her places, which is either behind a door which sends K into messing with her more, or in the crate or under the bed.

I do need to improve on distracting K away from B. I do think they can co-exist better together. K hasn't grown out of her kitten, always needing attention phase, she is always into something. I'm working on giving her more attention that isn't play because I honestly can't keep up with all the play and I've yet to find a floor toy she likes. I swear she is like a toddler hopped up on caffeine most of the day.
"B usually just goes back to whatever which is usually just hanging about." - This is actually really positive and tells us a lot. I should explain. Cats will tell us a lot about the relationship. Sometimes we humans interpret things in a different way than the cats. SO watching how they react, how fast they rebound to normal, etc is really telling. So I learned a long time ago to try to see what the cats are telling me. The fact B returns to normal so quickly is really positive and tells me that though K may be "annoying" K is not perceived to be a real threat. If there were real problems between them we would not see this behavior.

"I do admit that B spends a lot of time in the dog crate, it's not closed, it's always open and she can go in and out of it whenever, if K is in the crate then B just lays on the floor." - Ok, this is also very telling and again eases any concerns I may have had. Here is why. B chooses to go in the crate but then shares the crate with K. So B accepts that K goes in "B's crate". Sharing territory is hugely positive and again tells me they are much more accepting. If there were problems B would not let K in the crate "B's territory". Cats like certain places, B likes the crate BUT it sounds like K does as well though K may like it because it smells like B. But the fact they are not fighting over it is acceptance and very positive.

"B doesn't use any of the cat trees anymore, she can still jump and get on them she just doesn't because of K." - This happens all the time. As long as other behavior doesn't support any issues then I would not worry about it. My guess is B is sharing, accepting and chooses to not go on them.

"K will go up to her, B hisses and that gets them all ruffled up. K will usually walk away, sometimes though she will continue to antagonist B by continuing to paw at her" - Hissing is communication. In of itself it is not necessarily negative and if it causes a negative to be avoided it is a positive. The fact K usually walks away is really positive. If she is just pawing at B then it is kind of like a "why don't you want to play". As long as they are not fighting and/or acting very differently after then they are working it out. This happens all the time with cats and the vast majority of the time it is not a worry. I am not worried to hear this about your cats. They seem to work it out between them.

"B does slink around the house and run into her places, which is either behind a door which sends K into messing with her more, or in the crate or under the bed." - Ok, slinking is a sign of a lack of confidence. So step up play especially in areas she is slinking around or hiding. And also, make positive associations so maybe feed treats in that area and if K is around have them eat together with no staring, pawing etc distracting as needed. Or just give a little love (if you can safely) in those areas. Work on positive associations and positive encounters. And as B gets more confident the less likely K will "mess" with her as a confident cat is less likely to attack or be attacked.

Running (acting like prey) will cause the other cat to want to play, etc. So the more confident B gets the less likely K will "mess" with her.

"I do need to improve on distracting K away from B." - This s very helpful as it avoids a potential negative and avoiding a potential negative is a positive. So use a toy, words, a treat, etc. The more B sees that K isn't "bothering" her the more confident she will become.

"I do think they can co-exist better together. K hasn't grown out of her kitten, always needing attention phase, she is always into something. I'm working on giving her more attention that isn't play because I honestly can't keep up with all the play and I've yet to find a floor toy she likes. I swear she is like a toddler hopped up on caffeine most of the day." - I totally agree. They will get along even better. K is still a full energy kitten that wants to play all the time. B is more of a solo cat. It is hard to drain the energy of a young cat. That is why K wants to play with B. She will settle down as time goes by. In the meantime, B will continue trying to tell her what is acceptable and continue to give K places to look out at the wildlife and places to run around the house and play with herself. K does not mean harm to B and B is very tolerant of K so I actually think they are doing very well. All cats get into disagreements. The important thing is what exactly happens and how long any change in behavior lasts.

Awwwwww, you are welcome. Thank you for caring so much about the cats and doing all you are doing. That is the most important part.

Ahhhhhhhh, B is a calico. Makes more sense. Calicos R Special............................. ;) Mine is on my lap as I type this. Calicos can be more independent. My girl is a human's cat not a cat's cat. Always has been.

You are doing great. I think you have done a much better job than you think. Let's try to make it even better. Keep up the great work!!!

TGM2020

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
B does go back to doing whatever, sometimes she'll move places but usually she just goes on about her life. They'll eat treats and food next to each other and both use both litter boxes we have.

K used the crate when she was a little kitten, I think it helped with introductions because it was closed and she couldn't out and B and the dog couldn't get in. When K was allowed to go more freely about the house, B took it over and it's been her's since. But she allows K to sleep in it, in fact that is where K is now and B is looking out the window in front of it.

I do think K just bugs the crap out of B, B doesn't like to be bugged. B has a much more leave me the hell alone personality unless I want attention and then on her terms, she was laid back and mellow at a year old when we got her. K is much more in your face and mischievous, she is the epitome of curious cat and at 4 years she is still very much a kitten in a lot of ways. So I'm not used to that, and after four years you'd think I would be but I was hoping she would also mellow out soon and it doesn't look like she will.

They are both very good kitties, I love them so very much, they're bonded to me and me to them. Here is them playing last night. I have one toy and my husband has the other.

Attachments

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
B does go back to doing whatever, sometimes she'll move places but usually she just goes on about her life. They'll eat treats and food next to each other and both use both litter boxes we have.

K used the crate when she was a little kitten, I think it helped with introductions because it was closed and she couldn't out and B and the dog couldn't get in. When K was allowed to go more freely about the house, B took it over and it's been her's since. But she allows K to sleep in it, in fact that is where K is now and B is looking out the window in front of it.

I do think K just bugs the crap out of B, B doesn't like to be bugged. B has a much more leave me the hell alone personality unless I want attention and then on her terms, she was laid back and mellow at a year old when we got her. K is much more in your face and mischievous, she is the epitome of curious cat and at 4 years she is still very much a kitten in a lot of ways. So I'm not used to that, and after four years you'd think I would be but I was hoping she would also mellow out soon and it doesn't look like she will.

They are both very good kitties, I love them so very much, they're bonded to me and me to them. Here is them playing last night. I have one toy and my husband has the other.
"B does go back to doing whatever, sometimes she'll move places but usually she just goes on about her life. They'll eat treats and food next to each other and both use both litter boxes we have." - Perfect. Rebounding quickly. Tells me that B is not feeling that threatened by K. This is a terrific update.

"K used the crate when she was a little kitten, I think it helped with introductions because it was closed and she couldn't out and B and the dog couldn't get in. When K was allowed to go more freely about the house, B took it over and it's been her's since. But she allows K to sleep in it, in fact that is where K is now and B is looking out the window in front of it." - Interesting. Very good that B feels comfortable to go into and sleep in K's "territory". That is a sign of more confidence than I may have realized. Excellent.

"I do think K just bugs the crap out of B, B doesn't like to be bugged. B has a much more leave me the hell alone personality unless I want attention and then on her terms, she was laid back and mellow at a year old when we got her. K is much more in your face and mischievous, she is the epitome of curious cat and at 4 years she is still very much a kitten in a lot of ways. So I'm not used to that, and after four years you'd think I would be but I was hoping she would also mellow out soon and it doesn't look like she will." - I think you are spot on. K wants to play, have a friend, B is more aloof, likes to be alone. Different energy levels BUT B is actually really good and accepting and K doesn't seem to be bullying or trying to dominate. It is just different needs, desires. Happens ALL THE TIME. Not something to worry about. Just do things to make each happy (which I get a sense you are). Well, some cats do not mellow. I have 2 that are WILD, actually 3 but 2 of them are serious like 1 yr old cats. CRAZY energy. Chasing, jumping, too wild. Just they way they love to play. Let's hope K does get more mellow.............. :)

"They are both very good kitties, I love them so very much, they're bonded to me and me to them. Here is them playing last night. I have one toy and my husband has the other." - They really do seem like they are great cats. I can tell you love them. Just terrific!!

WHOA!!! Is B on her back exposing her belly kind of????? And K looks relaxed. THAT pic is AMAZING!!! That body language is telling me that they trust each other. I honestly did not expect a pic like that.

They look GORGEOUS!!! B looks exactly like my youngest. GORGEOUS!!! And K. Absolutely looks gorgeous. They look SO SWEET!!! If they had a problem that pic would never be able to be taken. I can't believe B is basically exposing her belly. WOW. No cat would ever expose their belly to a cat they don't trust. You are definitely in a much better place than you think.

Really great job!!! I think you should be proud of where they are today. It may not be totally perfect (and it rarely is) but if that pic happens once it is a much better situation than many. :hyper: :clap2:

TGM2020

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Now I'm thinking it's not that they didn't get along, just different energy levels and personalities. Which means I did something at least right when I brought K into the fold.

Yes, that is B exposing her belly, she does it from time to time while not playing. K does it all the time and routinely flops on the floor and onto her back all splayed out, daring anyone to touch the belly. It really is a common site in this house. Sometimes if I'm the only one playing with them, they take turns with the toy, K plays with it and then watches B play, and vice versa.

Thank you, B has very pretty colors about her, she is getting a bit more white in areas that used to be black and needs a good combing. She is a bit chunky, she gained weight after a bad health scare and has a very tiny liver according to the vet but doesn't need to be on lifelong meds after the scare her liver was functioning as it should.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Now I'm thinking it's not that they didn't get along, just different energy levels and personalities. Which means I did something at least right when I brought K into the fold.

Yes, that is B exposing her belly, she does it from time to time while not playing. K does it all the time and routinely flops on the floor and onto her back all splayed out, daring anyone to touch the belly. It really is a common site in this house. Sometimes if I'm the only one playing with them, they take turns with the toy, K plays with it and then watches B play, and vice versa.

Thank you, B has very pretty colors about her, she is getting a bit more white in areas that used to be black and needs a good combing. She is a bit chunky, she gained weight after a bad health scare and has a very tiny liver according to the vet but doesn't need to be on lifelong meds after the scare her liver was functioning as it should.
I think that is right. Though I would say you did a lot more right than you think. Cats would not be exposing their bellies if they weren't feeling safe with the other cat.

"Yes, that is B exposing her belly, she does it from time to time while not playing. K does it all the time and routinely flops on the floor and onto her back all splayed out, daring anyone to touch the belly. It really is a common site in this house. Sometimes if I'm the only one playing with them, they take turns with the toy, K plays with it and then watches B play, and vice versa." - I can't emphasize how positive this is (both the exposing the belly AND playing and watching and behaving). There is A LOT of trust between them. If they had real issues you would not be seeing either.

B looks gorgeous!!! Keep posting any pics. I am SO GLAD her liver is good. Whew. She is a sweetie.

Did the vet mention any side effects of her liver issues? Does it ever make her not feel well or is it uncomfortable?

How often is K spraying nowadays?

How are they acting on a typical day lately?

TGM2020

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You've made me feel so much better about my cats and their happiness in my home. I know it may sound silly to some, but we don't have children and they're my babies.

B had some sort of infection, she hadn't ate in two days and was hiding under the guest bed. Vet said she had an infection and put her on four different medications, and mentioned it was the smallest liver she's seen in a cat, apparently it's very tiny. But when we did the follow up, she was fine and her liver was functioning as it should. Best we could guess was the wet food she was eating, she no longer eats that brand, in fact she will not go near it if we had it. She started gaining weight after that. She'll be 9 this year.

K has maybe sprayed twice, I still need to find something to clear the smell outside the house in case that is the issue. I put up puppy pads where she sprays, it's two spots. So I'm not sure if she is spraying because she can smell the dog there or another cat.

Daily it's getting back to where it was, them just lounging around all day and thinking if I am in the kitchen it's food time. I did realize that I can't do three playtimes a day but we've stuck to the nightly before bed play. Right now B is asleep in the crate and K is asleep right against it on a blanket. We've seen the stray or neighbors cat once or twice this week and neither of them noticed.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so glad I could point to certain things to confirm the cats are doing well. Sometimes it takes another set of eyes to see what the cats are telling us.

"I know it may sound silly to some, but we don't have children and they're my babies." - Not at all "silly". in fact, it is wonderful. Wherever pure love is found it is beyond special.

Wow. I am so glad you recognized the change in behavior and saved her life. I am so glad she is doing well!! THANK YOU for giving her a great life!!!

Where are the 2 spots K sprayed? Are they on an outside wall? By a window or door? Is it possible to put a littler box there? Make sure you clean the area with an enzymatic cleaner. Can you smell anything when you are outside (from any outside cats)?

"Daily it's getting back to where it was, them just lounging around all day and thinking if I am in the kitchen it's food time." - :yess: :hyper::clap2:

"I did realize that I can't do three playtimes a day but we've stuck to the nightly before bed play." - That is fine. Just do your best, I think it is working so you are doing great.

"Right now B is asleep in the crate and K is asleep right against it on a blanket." - :itslove: WOW, this is AWESOME!!! A sign that they have a much better relationship than maybe perceived. :purr:

"We've seen the stray or neighbors cat once or twice this week and neither of them noticed." - Interesting. A lot of times we don't see the outside cats so I am guessing they are still around a bit more than you think.

Work on playing with K in those areas where she is marking. See about adding a litter box in those places. Maybe add a scratching post or a cat tree or bedding or even an old shirt that has her scent on it in that area. Give her some love in that area as well. Anything to give her confidence in that area so she is like "I own this territory, nothin' bothers me around her because I OWN it!".

Keep up the great work. We'll get there. A lot of great progress so far thanks to your efforts. :clap2:

TGM2020

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The spots are on a wall that faces outside. The other spot is in a hallway where I know the dog has peed, and since have been clean. I did get some enzyme cleaner, I need to get more so I can do that hallway. The dog is small and can't go all night without peeing so we do have pee pads for him. She hasn't sprayed on the spots I put the enzyme cleaner. I don't know if the outside cat has sprayed our house or not.

I look to see where we can put another box, I don't know how doable that is, but I'll see if we can find a place and see.

They may drive us crazy at times, but they are very much loved. Now we got to teach her how not to steal seats when we get up, she is always stealing my husbands seat and he very much does not like that.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The spots are on a wall that faces outside. The other spot is in a hallway where I know the dog has peed, and since have been clean. I did get some enzyme cleaner, I need to get more so I can do that hallway. The dog is small and can't go all night without peeing so we do have pee pads for him. She hasn't sprayed on the spots I put the enzyme cleaner. I don't know if the outside cat has sprayed our house or not.

I look to see where we can put another box, I don't know how doable that is, but I'll see if we can find a place and see.

They may drive us crazy at times, but they are very much loved. Now we got to teach her how not to steal seats when we get up, she is always stealing my husbands seat and he very much does not like that.
"The spots are on a wall that faces outside." - Is it by a window or door? There could be marking just outside of that wall. Cats have excellent senses of smell.

"The other spot is in a hallway where I know the dog has peed, and since have been clean." - That can definitely do it. Sometimes when we clean we don't get it all so the scent could still be there.

"I did get some enzyme cleaner, I need to get more so I can do that hallway." - For cat pee an enzymatic cleaner is very important as it breaks down and neutralizes it. And getting the neutralized is very important.

"The dog is small and can't go all night without peeing so we do have pee pads for him." - Understandable.

"I don't know if the outside cat has sprayed our house or not." - Without a black light or a significant smell it is hard to know. But they don't have to to cause territorial insecurity for the inside cats. Just the sight of or the general scent can cause insecurity. That is why building confidence is the best solution in my opinion.

"I look to see where we can put another box, I don't know how doable that is, but I'll see if we can find a place and see." - Sounds good. Cleaning thoroughly will be most important then another litter box. Playing in that area could be helpful as well and feed treats in that area after play.

"They may drive us crazy at times, but they are very much loved. Now we got to teach her how not to steal seats when we get up, she is always stealing my husbands seat and he very much does not like that." - Hahahahaha, yep. You are a member of the club along with 40M other Americans!!! They will always steal our seats. It is a sign of love though. If they didn't love us they wouldn't want to be near our scent (or get our scent on them).

We'll get there. I think you are doing all the right things and some things are starting to make more sense.

Let me know how it goes and if you have any questions. I think you are doing a great job. :clap2:

TGM2020

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I think the spraying was a combined dog smell and her getting frustrated with the outside cat. She hasn't sprayed that I've noticed the past few days.

Thanks for all the kind words and encouragement. I do want to keep this thread updated in case someone else was having the same issue and it can hopefully help someone else.

So far today they are all just relaxing and sleeping. B I don't think will ever want K near her, but they'll play in the same room and eat at the same table, use the same litter boxes, eat treats next to each other. K just wants to play with her and B doesn't want to play with K. That is fine, we can work around that.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think the spraying was a combined dog smell and her getting frustrated with the outside cat. She hasn't sprayed that I've noticed the past few days.

Thanks for all the kind words and encouragement. I do want to keep this thread updated in case someone else was having the same issue and it can hopefully help someone else.

So far today they are all just relaxing and sleeping. B I don't think will ever want K near her, but they'll play in the same room and eat at the same table, use the same litter boxes, eat treats next to each other. K just wants to play with her and B doesn't want to play with K. That is fine, we can work around that.
"I think the spraying was a combined dog smell and her getting frustrated with the outside cat."- I think you are exactly right.

"She hasn't sprayed that I've noticed the past few days." - FANTASTIC!!! You must be doing the right things.

"Thanks for all the kind words and encouragement. I do want to keep this thread updated in case someone else was having the same issue and it can hopefully help someone else." - You are welcome. Absolutely. And if you ever have an issue we can help. Hopefully it has given a base of knowledge and then some nuanced advice can be added to any issues that might pop up.

"So far today they are all just relaxing and sleeping." - terrific.

"B I don't think will ever want K near her" - I am not as convinced. But the main thing is they have the best life possible which I think you are giving.

"but they'll play in the same room and eat at the same table, use the same litter boxes, eat treats next to each other." - This is why I am not sure sure they will "ever" want to be near each other (well, really B wanting to be near K). The above sounds great to me (playing near each other - same room, eating together, etc).

"K just wants to play with her and B doesn't want to play with K." - Very common and not a sign of an issue in the vast majority of cases especially with the other things mentioned above.

"That is fine, we can work around that." - Absolutely. If that is our only worry I will be ecstatic.

We are always here for you and definitely let the cats tell you how they are doing. I know we want the best and can be tough on ourselves but we don;t want to be too tough on ourselves. When you are doing a great job please give yourself some credit. I think you are doing great.

Let us know. There may be some issues in the future but I am highly confident we can solve them quickly. I think your cats are lucky to have you and your husband. They seem like they have a great home and are loving it!! :clap2:

TGM2020

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The stray/outdoor cat ( honestly could have been a squirrel, I didn't see it ) was back this morning, right up to the window. K hissed and tried to get at it. Removed the dog, let her calm down and then we played and she got a treat. All is well now, she is sleeping in the crate and B is sleeping under the bed. Then the dog proceeded to get sick all over the couch a few times this morning. So it's been eventful.

But K did well, she was upset and settled down and then got some energy out through play.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
"The stray/outdoor cat ( honestly could have been a squirrel, I didn't see it ) was back this morning, right up to the window. K hissed and tried to get at it. Removed the dog, let her calm down and then we played and she got a treat. All is well now, she is sleeping in the crate and B is sleeping under the bed." - You handled that REALLY WELL!!! It sounds like your confidence building is really helping. Really well done handling that situation.

"Then the dog proceeded to get sick all over the couch a few times this morning. So it's been eventful." - Everything always happens at once. :(

"But K did well, she was upset and settled down and then got some energy out through play." - K did AMAZINGLY well because of how you handled it and how you have helped build confidence and territorial security over the days before this incident.

I really believe that is the best way to deal with ferals/other animals. Confidence and territorial security allows a cat to accept more.

Keep up the great work!!

TGM2020

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
K clearly did not like the cat being near the window, however K is also easily distracted. She was still on the lookout for it most of the day but otherwise pretty well behaved.

Clearly she has a lot of energy and needs a lot of play but it works for her and I'm happy, she is happy, B is still going to be herself and she is happy that way. I've learned a lot of the past few weeks and again will keep this thread updated in case someone else sees it and it might be able to help their situation.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
K clearly did not like the cat being near the window, however K is also easily distracted. She was still on the lookout for it most of the day but otherwise pretty well behaved.

Clearly she has a lot of energy and needs a lot of play but it works for her and I'm happy, she is happy, B is still going to be herself and she is happy that way. I've learned a lot of the past few weeks and again will keep this thread updated in case someone else sees it and it might be able to help their situation.
It is understandable. Cats are territorial so an unknown "intruder" will cause unease. But as we get the resident cats more confident and territorial secure they can handle it better.

It is fantastic that she can be distracted which tells me progress is being made. Great!!

Yes, they will be on lookout but the fact she was well behaved is really positive. Keep up the great work!!

Yes, K is young and it is great she has a lot of energy and loves to play. A great sign of a cat loving life and being happy. Terrific.

B is B and again happy in her way. That is the main point. Just monitor her body language, movements, etc for any changes. But all indications I have read is she is happy and doing well and likes K.

My goodness are they ADORABLE!!!!

The pic of them facing each other is amazing. The body language is great. Those are two cats in a great relationship it looks like to me. It is just a wonderful pic. I can't say enough how positive it is. Wonderful!!

The second pic is cute. B is just looking. I don't see any negativity. And the most telling thing is K has no fear. Just sleeping away. That tells me K is not feeling worried, afraid, etc of B. It is always important to see what the cats think of each other.

Did I mention how gorgeous they are????? Serious. And K is so gorgeous!! And of course B is. You are so lucky to have them and for them to have found you. :purr:

TGM2020

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
They are adorable. I don't know if B will ever cuddle up with K and want to play with K. However I couldn't imagine what a change they would do with something so simple. It really is helpful to be consistent with playtime, especially the nighttime play before bed.

I now think that when my brother does come, I can get them to get along. I can get him to play with her and she'll warm up to him. I'm not worried about him freaking out at her being so active, I think it might still be somewhat of an issue but I think I can work it out.

I'm just so happy that I don't have to give up on K and that I didn't give up on her and won't. I mean if there is an issue where his or her safety is in jeopardy, I might, but I don't think I'll have too. And that is such a relieve.

You've been amazing. I can't thank you enough calicosrspecial, you've helped me so much and have given me so much hope and given my cats such a happier life and outlook, you're a gem.